USSR invades Ukraine. (9 Viewers)

David O'Day

Military experts seem to think the Russians are actually really ropey as a fighting force and the US et al. would wipe the floor with them

Bugsy

Evo1883

Military experts seem to think the Russians are actually really ropey as a fighting force and the US et al. would wipe the floor with them

Tell me the last time the US has wiped the floor with anybody in battle ?

I've worked with them , I know how they operate , wasn't impressed myself 😉

1.what percentage of the 150k forces putin has used are conscripts ?
2.The Russian military is 900,000 large so we are still 750k short of its force strength .
3. It has upto 2 million reserve soldiers it can call upon
4. Shouldnt Dr Martin already know this ?
5. How long does Dr Martin think it takes to invade and take over a country 2.5 times larger than the UK ?

Last edited:

David O'Day

Tell me the last time the US has wiped the floor with anybody in battle ?

I've worked with them , I know how they operate , wasn't impressed myself 😉

1.what percentage of the 150k forces putin has used are conscripts ?
2.The Russian military is 900,000 large so we are still 750k short of its force strength .
3. It has upto 2 million reserve soldiers it can call upon
4. Shouldnt Dr Martin already know this ?
5. How long does Dr Martin think it takes to invade and take over a country 2.5 times larger than the UK ?
you didn't read it did you did you, it's a piece on the poor tactics from the first 2 days. he clearly makes no comments on what the final outcome will be. he also talks about how only a part of 150k troops in the area have been used and it is not him that says the us would wipe the floor with the russians currently engaged

Evo1883

you didn't read it did you did you, it's a piece on the poor tactics from the first 2 days. he clearly makes no comments on what the final outcome will be. he also talks about how only a part of 150k troops in the area have been used and it is not him that says the us would wipe the floor with the russians currently engaged

It is him Screenshot_20220225-222547_Chrome.jpg

Not one for underestimating such a power myself , Ukraine have a fairly large military by modern standards but are numerically outnumbered upto 15 x if we include reserve forces .

Russia as an invading force will know they will take casualties surely ? Putin isn't that thick

Evo1883

Let's hope that Ukraine can muster the strength to see it through , I personally don't see them getting out of this whole situation victorious but I hope I'm wrong

SkyBlueCharlie9

My whole point is there isn’t any arguments that are going to be won on this forum politically as it’s full of people whose views are not representative of the wider public and most who have a view of said wider public have been shouted down and left the debate a long time ago

As for being rude you were engaging pleasantly with O day an Ira worshiping freak whose the most insulting person on the whole forum
I think this forum is very reflective of UK thinking/politics. A mix of right wing and the liberal perspectives.

Otis

Yup and I would consider myself quite left wing, but I would also know I know reason when I can see it.

Over the years I have voted for all the main parties. I do usually vote Labour or Green, but have also voted for the Tories once and for the Lib Dems a few times.

I am sure there are many like me on here. Call it for what it is.

I don't know why we are still having discussions about Corbyn, who is now long gone and history and this is also a thread about Russia invading Ukraine and what, if anything, can be done to stop Putin.

Looking back to a Labour leader who never got to power and never really looked likely to get into power, just deflects from the main issue at hand and all just seems rather pointless.

Not everything is black and white. I also think many, many posters on here from all sides (if there are sides) have made valid points at times.

There is a human tragedy unfolding before our very eyes, so I have no idea why we are talking about an ex Labour leader, who is now history and I do think on here very much reflects the world out there. 🤷 There are an awful lot of Labour supporters who became disenfranchised and disenchanted with the party and obviously some then voted Tory. They are probably still deep down, Labour supporters at heart though.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Which given what has just happened to Ukraine would have me reaching for the phone to get a membership card pronto.

It shows he won't attack NATO countries. So be a NATO country and you're safe.
But you don't just join nato overnight do you?

Moment there's a sniff of it, Russia will be there before it can take place

Brighton Sky Blue

Still can’t believe it really. The nuclear deterrent is what has allowed Putin to throw as much as he wants at a country because it’s not signed the relevant piece of paper.

ccfc92

Ukraine are doing alright by all accounts, would be quality if they manage to fend Russia off.

I can't work out though whether this is part of a bigger picture, or Putin's last stand to get in the history books. Very odd times.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Has nato every actually been tested?

Pretty sure some countries would say see ya later pal, your on your own now if a nato ally was attacked because they wouldn't want to escalate the situation.

Otis

Ukraine are doing alright by all accounts, would be quality if they manage to fend Russia off.

I can't work out though whether this is part of a bigger picture, or Putin's last stand to get in the history books. Very odd times.
He definitely wants to go down in the history books as some kind of super hero.

He has been absolutely untouchable hasn't he. He can even just waltz people into our own country in order to have people wiped out. He is a megalomaniac who believes no-one can stop him.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

He definitely wants to go down in the history books as some kind of super hero.

He has been absolutely untouchable hasn't he. He can even just waltz people into our own country in order to have people wiped out. He is a megalomaniac who believes no-one can stop him.
As things are going he is as dangerous as Adolf Hitler.

The bravery of the Ukrainians is extraordinary and makes me feel extremely hopeful but very sad at the same time . That could be us. It might be Poland or Latvia next and the people will suffer the same .
The Russian people do not want this. Their demonstrations are growing but as they stand in the streets of their cities chanting their anti war songs they look frightened and powerless to really make change , but it is clear a good number of their citizens know the truth.
In the short term the situation for Ukraine will get worse. In the long term democracy will prevail and Putin will be held accountable for what he is doing .
I just hope he is answerable to the Russian people because that would signal real change but for now the rest of Europe needs to prepare itself for Putin's next move and if that means building up our military hardware so be it.

Last edited:

Otis

As a sidenote, not sure what will actually happen, but wouldn't it be great to see a load of Ukrainian flags at the EFL Cup final tomorrow at Wembley. Chelsea and Liverpool fans alike.

Anyone know what Chelsea fans are thinking right now, what with Abramovitch being a close cronie of Putin's?

My guess is many will just put up the blinkers over it and in the grand scheme it doesn't mean that much does it, but I think it would be a wonderful gesture to see both Liverpool AND Chelsea fans, flying the Ukrainian flag tomorrow and have Wembley turn yellow and blue for the day.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

As a sidenote, not sure what will actually happen, but wouldn't it be great to see a load of Ukrainian flags at the EFL Cup final tomorrow at Wembley. Chelsea and Liverpool fans alike.

Anyone know what Chelsea fans are thinking right now, what with Abramovitch being a close cronie of Putin's?

My guess is many will just put up the blinkers over it and in the grand scheme it doesn't mean that much does it, but I think it would be a wonderful gesture to see both Liverpool AND Chelsea fans, flying the Ukrainian flag tomorrow and have Wembley turn yellow and blue for the day.
Yes it would be fantastic. I think the pictures coming out of Ukraine of women in tears and young children saying goodbye to their fathers who are going off to shoot a rifle for the first time is extremely powerful . We all feel this. We all feel their fears and anger. I hope there are a few flags and gestures at the CBS today. Perhaps the players might have a message or two underneath their shirts to reveal when we score !

David O'Day

It is him View attachment 23964

Not one for underestimating such a power myself , Ukraine have a fairly large military by modern standards but are numerically outnumbered upto 15 x if we include reserve forces .

Russia as an invading force will know they will take casualties surely ? Putin isn't that thick
now comment on the other nonsense you spouted and admit it was simply a thread on poor military tactics and poor logistics. you keep twatting on about a straw man here

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

From BBC:

The Ukrainian military has published what they claim is a breakout of Russia's losses.

According to a post on its Facebook page, more than 3,500 Russian soldiers involved in the invasion have been killed and almost 200 taken prisoner.

They add that Russia has also lost 14 aircraft, 8 helicopters, and 102 tanks so far. The BBC is unable to independently verify any of these claims.

Russia has so far not acknowledged any casualties.

Reminds me of when North Korea played in the World Cup and they told their own citizens that they won it.

CCFCSteve

Still can’t believe it really. The nuclear deterrent is what has allowed Putin to throw as much as he wants at a country because it’s not signed the relevant piece of paper.

Even worse that that, Ukraine were encouraged/agreed to give up their nuclear deterrent in the 90’s. This has left left them further exposed although ‘Putin the nutter’ wasn’t around then.

I understand that we and NATO can’t get involved militarily as it could escalate to WW3 but we should be doing everything in our collective powers to arm Ukraine to help them defend themselves (crazy in a way as there is not a huge difference between that and us getting directly involved).

As I think SBD said, Putins ‘fear’ of having NATO on his doorstep can’t ring true as his actions have just accelerated more NATO troops on his border than ever before and any country not in NATO probably seriously considering joining to help defend themselves against this utter madman

Sick Boy

Even worse that that, Ukraine were encouraged/agreed to give up their nuclear deterrent in the 90’s. This has left left them further exposed although ‘Putin the nutter’ wasn’t around then.

I understand that we and NATO can’t get involved militarily as it could escalate to WW3 but we should be doing everything in our collective powers to arm Ukraine to help them defend themselves (crazy in a way as there is not a huge difference between that and us getting directly involved).

As I think SBD said, Putins ‘fear’ of having NATO on his doorstep can’t ring true as his actions have just accelerated more NATO troops on his border than ever before and any country not in NATO probably seriously considering joining to help defend themselves against this utter madman
I think the French are sending millions of dollars worth of equipment.

CCFCSteve

Another Boris failure.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Im sure James O’Brien was calling for increased military spending over recent years 🙄. Rather than everything being Brexit and the governments fault he’d be better off just accepting that we are dealing with an unhinged dictator.

The fact is the whole of the West have been naive in the extreme and not just militarily. Ratcheting down our own energy producing capabilities to meet environmental targets* whilst increasing reliance on people like Putin and allowing Russia, China etc to behave how they want when it comes to the environment ?! Maybe Putins not the only madman in office

*I support the targets by the way and do as much as I can on a personal level but seeking to achieve them whilst leaving the world exposed and reliant on dictators ?!! Crazy

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Below is a current map of all Aeroflot aircraft over Europe. Take a wild guess which European country is still leading the way in letting them use their airspace.

Screenshot_20220226-084822_Flightradar24.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread