Tony Mowbray , a stat people don't talk about (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Tony Mowbray has the highest win percentage of any manager at this club over the last 30 years that have been here for more than 50 games .
Alot of managers seem to enjoy a honeymoon period bizarrely , but his long term plan is churning up better results than everybody since George Curtis , irrespective of current form , or our mid season blip last year .
He has signed some players on longer contracts than we have seen in recent years , we have a lot of potential in the side , and we play attractive football .
He also has to deal with arguably the clubs smallest ever budget in the modern era ,

He is the man to take us forward and we will do well to keep him , Clapham and Venus at the club

Evo1883

We did have a poor mid season , it was actually 13 games ..
But we ended the season with 4 wins and 2 defeats , we have lost 2 this season in the league and in my opinion have been really unlucky , especially at Bradford and against Northampton

ccfchoi87

Tony Mowbray has the highest win percentage of any manager at this club over the last 30 years that have been here for more than 50 games .
Alot of managers seem to enjoy a honeymoon period bizarrely , but his long term plan is churning up better results than everybody since George Curtis , irrespective of current form , or our mid season blip last year .
He has signed some players on longer contracts than we have seen in recent years , we have a lot of potential in the side , and we play attractive football .
He also has to deal with arguably the clubs smallest ever budget in the modern era ,

He is the man to take us forward and we will do well to keep him , Clapham and Venus at the club

But in 2016 isn't his win ratio around 20%. You can manipulate any stats to support a different argument. Dowie's win ratio was better but he only managed 49 games before being sacked.

Evo1883

But in 2016 isn't his win ratio around 20%. You can manipulate any stats to support a different argument. Dowie's win ratio was better but he only managed 49 games before being sacked.
my point is most managers here seem to enjoy a good first 30-50 games then when it comes to getting their own squads assembled we finish 14th to 17th , last year we finished 8th and seem to have a clear direction under Mowbray , signing up young up and coming players on longer contracts , we play good football still , you can't say that about many managers in the past .

I can't see us being relegated so even a mid table finish this year would see Mowbray maintain far superior stats over a longer period than all the previous managers before him from 1986

Last edited:

Captain Dart

Didn't Robins do better?

Evo1883

Wasn't here for 50 games , but yes overall the statistics favour robins
But in the same period I'm not sure I think Mowbray pips him .

Since halfway stage last season , we have a 30% win ratio, but I've never seen us have SEVEN defensive injuries in a season before which I believe contributed to inconsistencies and lead to us conceding sloppy goals

ccfchoi87

my point is most managers here seem to enjoy a good first 30-50 games then when it comes to getting their own squads assembled we finish 14th to 17th , last year we finished 8th and seem to have a clear direction under Mowbray , signing up young up and coming players on longer contracts , we play food football still , you can't say that about many managers in the past .

I can't see us being relegated so even a mid table finish this year would see Mowbray maintain far superior stats over a longer period than all the previous managers before him from 1986

We'll see, after this amount of games Presley's record was just as good. Time will tell.

fernandopartridge

You can carve stats up as you like. We've had a mediocre start to this season. I won't judge Mowbray until the end of this season and even then, it's on the basis of 'are we moving forward' - I think the signings of the likes of Jones and Turnbull (and hopefully Sordell proves a hit in the end, it's still early days) are thinking beyond this season which is what the club really really needs. If we don't go up this season, hopefully we retain the nucleus of a young side to mount a genuine challenge next season. This is a hard sell to fans, but, we must think a bit longer term. Burton, for example, didn't just magically turn into a promotion winning team, it was carefully built over seasons, with a fairly settled squad and avoiding changing managers apart from where theres were poached!

skybluetony176

Looking at Robins, although I like the guy and if we found ourselves without a manager I wouldn't be disappointed if he got the job the truth is he was not here long enough to fall on his sword, he inherited what was essentially a championship team so should have done well in league one and also he's been sacked twice since leaving for failing. I'd loved to have seen what TM could have done with the team MR inherited. Better than MR would be my guess.

Last edited:

Evo1883

You can carve stats up as you like. We've had a mediocre start to this season. I won't judge Mowbray until the end of this season and even then, it's on the basis of 'are we moving forward' - I think the signings of the likes of Jones and Turnbull (and hopefully Sordell proves a hit in the end, it's still early days) are thinking beyond this season which is what the club really really needs. If we don't go up this season, hopefully we retain the nucleus of a young side to mount a genuine challenge next season. This is a hard sell to fans, but, we must think a bit longer term. Burton, for example, didn't just magically turn into a promotion winning team, it was carefully built over seasons, with a fairly settled squad and avoiding changing managers apart from where theres were poached!
Stats are subjective , I can also say , well in his first full season we finished 8th , irrespective of numbers it's a huge improvement on recent years , let's see what this season brings

Philosorapter

Stats are subjective , I can also say , well in his first full season we finished 8th , irrespective of numbers it's a huge improvement on recent years , let's see what this season brings

Got to agree, okay, we had a bit of a bad second part to the season but we were top of the league at one point, something I can't remember happening for a very long time for the City. Last season gives Mowbray some leverage now to see what he can get from a team. Individualism is all good and well for a footballer but this is a team sport and the sum of the parts will always be different to worth of the whole.

Evo1883

I'm a bit disappointed. I thought this was going to be a thread on the combined surface area of his massive nose and chin.
Really wish I made that thread now , sounds amazing to be completely honest lol

skybluebeduff

Roland Nilsson after 43 games got 44%
Iain Dowie 40% after 49 games

Mowbray has now had 67 games to reach 38%

This season will define how good/bad Mowbray really is.

Evo1883

im more concerned that Mowbray won't be staying either way , i feel that this year is is last , even if we have a good season .

Martin180

im more concerned that Mowbray won't be staying either way , i feel that this year is is last , even if we have a good season .
Can't see him walking away to start another rebuild at another club.If he wanted that why didn't he go to Rotherham

Evo1883

Can't see him walking away to start another rebuild at another club.If he wanted that why didn't he go to Rotherham
Hope so , then again maybe he would get a job at a club that didn't need such a big turnaround

Evo1883

That leaves the top 5-6 in the PL!
Well that's the perfect scenario and he would never get them jobs , there is no denying we are a bit of a basket case and maybe he will have had enough come the end of his contract

Martin180

Well that's the perfect scenario and he would never get them jobs , there is no denying we are a bit of a basket case and maybe he will have had enough come the end of his contract
For me the job he's doing here is very similar to the one he did for the Baggies and he was there a.good few years

Evo1883

For me the job he's doing here is very similar to the one he did for the Baggies and he was there a.good few years
They had money though , well in the championship anyway , when promoted at that time they just couldn't survive in what was then a very tough premier league

Sterling Archer

Always found win % a bit misleading and "average points" a better indicator, hence why Dowie always does well in these kind of threads.

Manager a - 100 games - 50 wins 0 draws 50 losses
Manager b - 100 games - 45 wins - 35 draws - 20 defeats

Who's the better manager?

Grendel

Looking at Robins, although I like the guy and if we found ourselves without a manager I wouldn't be disappointed if he got the job the truth is he was not here long enough to fall on his sword, he inherited what was essentially a championship team so should have done well in league one and also he's been sacked twice since leaving for failing. I'd loved to have seen what TM could have done with the team MR inherited. Better than MR would be my guess.

The team he inherited - Mcgoldrick
apart - was a basket case.

RegTheDonk

my point is most managers here seem to enjoy a good first 30-50 games then when it comes to getting their own squads assembled we finish 14th to 17th , last year we finished 8th and seem to have a clear direction under Mowbray , signing up young up and coming players on longer contracts , we play good football still , you can't say that about many managers in the past .

The unfortunate thing is, in terms of visible league position, a mid table finish shows little or no improvement. Gates are down, this will help push them down further ... more spiraling towards the abyss. I see where you're coming from though Evo - stats is something Herman is supposed to be be good at so maybe this will encourage him to get the begging bowl out and squeeze some more money out of the owners - improve the squad in Jan if need be, push on and actually try to achieve something.

D

Deleted member 2477

Ffs sisu give the guy some decent money to get us out this awful league and reap the profit or fck off

Hobo

We need a manager who can coach and bring on the kids.

We need fans who say fuck it, we are going to enjoy it whatrever...even if it means just appreciating the opposition.

Fans are the twelfth player on the pitch....so how good are you lot?

ccfcway

We need fans who say fuck it, we are going to enjoy it whatrever...even if it means just appreciating the opposition.

We'd get banned if we went on the pitch

Nick

Administrator

Id take a red to get the fans going.

CJ_covblaze

He's a good manager. The best of a very bad bunch from recent times. One thing that should be noted though is that we're also in the worst league we've played in during that 30 year period.

Great_Expectations

I always find the fans aspect a tricky one.

On one hand, if we have a mediocre/poor season, the 7/8k that still turn up and watch are the hardcore, those that stick with the team (off field bullshit aside) and support their club. Fans who turn up knowing exactly what to expect and therefore adjust expectations. Equally, we can't progress with just those fans.

On the other hand, the more successful we are, the more fans and therefore more revenue we generate. However, with that comes fans who want to find a reason to moan and/or expect us to be world beaters, and when we aren't moan, thus causing a negative atmosphere.

Hobo

I always find the fans aspect a tricky one.

On one hand, if we have a mediocre/poor season, the 7/8k that still turn up and watch are the hardcore, those that stick with the team (off field bullshit aside) and support their club. Fans who turn up knowing exactly what to expect and therefore adjust expectations. Equally, we can't progress with just those fans.

On the other hand, the more successful we are, the more fans and therefore more revenue we generate. However, with that comes fans who want to find a reason to moan and/or expect us to be world beaters, and when we aren't moan, thus causing a negative atmosphere.

Yes, I find some of the most loyal the worst...biggest moaners, false and unrealistic expectation and like to create a closed shop.

We don't need individuals, we need a wall of positive sound :)

Users who are viewing this thread