The Replacement (1 Viewer)

Greggs

Oh no, we might get relegated twice, go bust, lose any tenure on our ground, move out of the city a couple of times and have to watch Peter Vincenti.
Also risk morale within the squad. We've been a tight nit - small squad for years - and our team spirit has got us through more than once. Will a squad full of superstars be the same. In Robbings We Trust.

shmmeee

Also risk morale within the squad. We've been a tight nit - small squad for years - and our team spirit has got us through more than once. Will a squad full of superstars be the same. In Robbings We Trust.

Yeah that’s a fair comment. I’m given confidence by Robins’ recruitment strategy that seems to firstly be “don’t sign dickheads”. Even our Yankee superstar seems relatively down to Earth for a Yank.

TomRad85

We're going to end up with a better team than Sheffield Utd and Luton aren't we? Didn't think i'd get over the play off final but really looking forward to this season and would be more confident if we got promoted having to add to this team than the one we had last season.

Balli001

We're going to end up with a better team than Sheffield Utd and Luton aren't we? Didn't think i'd get over the play off final but really looking forward to this season and would be more confident if we got promoted having to add to this team than the one we had last season.
It was always too early to go up last season. It would have been amazing but not a disaster It didn't happen

Balli001

No such thing. We would have just revamped the squad like we have this year just with more money and different targets
But still have had a weaker squad. Luton may not survive but i think missing out the year before has helped them have a chance

Brighton Sky Blue

Just a shame it's the most competitive champ season ever this year on paper .. if we could just have last seasons division with our new squad that would be lovely thanks 🤣
With virtually all of the squad now being on permanent, relatively long term contracts though, if we miss out this time then the following season should be more open and we'll still have pretty much everyone but with a year's more development and cohesion under their belts.

covcity4life

With virtually all of the squad now being on permanent, relatively long term contracts though, if we miss out this time then the following season should be more open and we'll still have pretty much everyone but with a year's more development and cohesion under their belts.
Yup. Have to believe we are in a position to go for playoffs every year now for a while like king said.

And if we do sell we can command big fees and then replace them with our ever expanding recruitment team

Are we now a Brighton Brentford or Bournemouth? Will we always be a good team from now on?

Balli001

How so? We’d have everyone we had, plus Vik and Gus, but would have signed PL quality instead of what we did.
No guarantee that vik would have stayed. We had to replace a lot of players but the budget to so that in the Premier to even be semi competitive would be massive. Better imo to build a squad now

shmmeee

No guarantee that vik would have stayed. We had to replace a lot of players but the budget to so that in the Premier to even be semi competitive would be massive. Better imo to build a squad now

Time will tell, if any of the new signings can step up then I’d agree. Otherwise I think we’ve lost two of maybe four of our potential PL players.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yup. Have to believe we are in a position to go for playoffs every year now for a while like king said.

And if we do sell we can command big fees and then replace them with our ever expanding recruitment team

Are we now a Brighton Brentford or Bournemouth? Will we always be a good team from now on?
Everyone who's signed is more likely to increase than decrease in value, so it does set us up to continuously sell and reinvest provided that the recruitment team makes more good calls than bad ones.

Roger Mellie

We’ve certainly made progress towards that model. The returns on Vik and Gus have really seen us take a huge leap forward in the quality of player we can acquire and develop. The telling phase will be the ability to do this whilst maintaining and improving the performance of the team - identifying replacements and bringing them onboard before selling the more finished articles. We’ve got a huge opportunity if we get it right and stick to the plan. And it really came from just 2 players.

SlowerThanPlatt

I didnt say it was. I said it wasnt a disaster we didnt go up. Massive difference really.
There’s no short or long term guarantee we’ll be in the same position again so I’d rather just take the opportunity when it arises regardless of it being too “early”

SBAndy

interested to see how our wage budget compares this year to last.

We've got some relatively high earners off the wages (Waghorn,Walker etc), but have now spent large transfer fees on players who inevitably will be on higher wages.

Surely we won't still be in the bottom 2/3 wage wise?

No more than fag-packet maths (and I can’t show my workings because I’ve already forgotten how I did it) but I’d ballpark the entire club wages for 23-24 at £25m. Bookmark this til February 2025 when the accounts come out!

Balli001

There’s no short or long term guarantee we’ll be in the same position again so I’d rather just take the opportunity when it arises regardless of it being too “early”
Financially yes you are correct however from a playing point of view it wouldn't be.

Users who are viewing this thread