The ideal new manager... (1 Viewer)

Somerset Sky Blue

Firstly, whilst we may disagree on the best ccfc manager (partly due to age) and whether they could cope with the modern game / life in league one / present owners/squad... (I think Bobby Gould would do well, I'm sure my dad would say the great JH).
Every sky blue fan now wants an experienced (ideally a few years in lg 1/2 and championship - in successful relegation battles and promotion (title?) successes), who has multiple contacts to acquire some players, charisma to charm all fans, possibility of being a player manager (Roy of the Rovers), and the backing (in £ms preferably!) from the board as our next manager. The reality is beggars can't be choosers...
Before anyone says we have options, yes, i agree some managers are out of work and coming here is a free hit (failure can be linked to position you arrived), so we will have a field of candidates.

Having seen an assortment of names over the past few weeks, who range from exciting, worrying to never heard of or are they still around... I think I will be happy with someone who comes in and tries to keep the club up, uses a formation that appears to suit the players, signs players who they think will make a difference and gets our young and underperforming team to operate better.
Basically, I'll support (almost!) anyone who is capable, cares and does their best. Surely we can all agree on that?
I'll await cries of lacking ambition...

Somerset Sky Blue

Yes, I'd support Roy (or big Sam). Going to like your comment for at least replying... I think my opening comment was perhaps a bit long-winded.
Might require a few more swear words too!

W

westcountry_skyblue

Ordered my ticket today for boxing day,Not sure we will have a new manager by then.
We need a good motivator.
And all the ones moaning about the ricoh wait until you get to the memorial its like 40 years ago!!

Somerset Sky Blue

Right about the atmosphere at rovers...though still in discussion about whether I'll be excused out of a family do for this game.... It is more like HR but without our concrete kop circa 80s (when I started going!).
New manager by then - not if some on here are to be believed, who seem to think Jan is more likely. I've no links with club, so the reasons for the delay (investment/contract issues) seem fairly possible.

steve82

The ideal candidate in my eyes needs to have at least 8 years in management, experienced relegation dog fights, and succeeded in survival, and enjoyed good campaigns ideally promotions.
Experience in the lower leagues and understands the level, what it takes to win and the type of player, and style of football to win games and grind results out. Ugly football if you like.
It has to be a man who's built sides, not inherited steady teams but created something from nothing.
Experience in the transfer market, wheeler dealing, frees and loans.
This is the size of the task ahead, in the summer the new man needs to assemble a core side of men, experienced players and obviously will supplement with youth loans to give that sparkle.
This is not a job for a new rookie manager/coach. Experienced campaigned battle hardened manager is a minimum, a Russel Slade, Peter Taylor, Nigel Adkins, Greg Abbot type.

Somerset Sky Blue

The ideal candidate in my eyes needs to have at least 8 years in management, experienced relegation dog fights, and succeeded in survival, and enjoyed good campaigns ideally promotions.
Experience in the lower leagues and understands the level, what it takes to win and the type of player, and style of football to win games and grind results out. Ugly football if you like.
It has to be a man who's built sides, not inherited steady teams but created something from nothing.
This is the size of the task ahead, in the summer the new man needs to assemble a core side of men, experienced players and obviously will supplement with youth loans to give that sparkle.
This is not a job for a new rookie manager/coach. Experienced campaigned battle hardened manager is a minimum, a Russel Slade, Peter Taylor, Nigel Adkins, Greg Abbot type.
I like the person spec and suggested managers - are they available / would they come?
Peter Taylor - not the one with cloughie?

steve82

I like the person spec and suggested managers - are they available / would they come?
Peter Taylor - not the one with cloughie?

The names I quoted are all available currently, just Russell Slade who I'm told is not contractually available till January. He's my man.... just cannot wait that long tho I fear. He's rescued every club he's been ask to.
As for Peter Taylor the ghost of him could do this job, the one I referred to is the man who took Hull city through the leagues, managed Leicester briefly, Brighton, Crystal Palace Wycombe, Gillingham

tisza

a football manager not someone who is good with the media or speaks well. sick & tired of people saying X is good with the media. Kept hearing it about Dowie, coleman et al. even Southgate seemed to get more plaudits for being good with the media & speaking well rather than his coaching ability.

skyblue025

It's going to be Slade. Shitsu keep saying no manager until Jan, Slade isn't available until Jan, nailed on! You heard it here first.

Somerset Sky Blue

The names I quoted are all available currently, just Russell Slade who I'm told is not contractually available till January. He's my man.... just cannot wait that long tho I fear. He's rescued every club he's been ask to.
As for Peter Taylor the ghost of him could do this job, the one I referred to is the man who took Hull city through the leagues, managed Leicester briefly, Brighton, Crystal Palace Wycombe, Gillingham
Sorry, did google after posting, but phone didn't allow me to type a reply....

Seems a few like Slade - january

steve82

Russel Slades cv is very good for this level. Never been relegated at the clubs he's been brought in to save, and never paid a fee for a player at Leyton Orient. 3 play off final defeats and tho never won promotion is his only blot on his cv.
Clearly a man who knows the division and how to build a team successfully on a inch of rope!!
Only issue is time... January seems a life time away.

Pipehitterz

Russel Slade is definitely the man with the know how for this league.
Your Roy's and big Sam's wouldn't have a clue how to get through league 1 and would be as good at tm, no thanks, i'll wait for championship till we need that level manager.
Is there no possible way of getting Slade I'm before?

chinamans view

This is a very important appointment , we need someone who can motivate players and supporters and may be even sisu lol ,we cant afford to make a poor choice it has to be right to stay in this league there will not be a second chance. Kevin Keegan if he wants to get back into football would be my choice.

shmmeee

Someone coming up not heading down please. Much rather someone I'd never heard of who has been impressing in lower leagues than some has been I vaguely remember.

Same with players.

Gazolba

<snip>.
It does not matter what experience a manager has before joining us, nothing will prepare him for what he will find at CCFC.

Great_Expectations

The experience angle is important, but bar Slade is there any other available and/or potentially interested managers with experience in the right area i.e. lower leagues with no budget.

For that reason, my preference is a L2/Conference Manager who knows the lower leagues and therefore the players available and systems to use. As above, ideally they are experienced, but if not I'd take a young, hungry manager with those credentials.

steve82

The experience angle is important, but bar Slade is there any other available and/or potentially interested managers with experience in the right area i.e. lower leagues with no budget.

For that reason, my preference is a L2/Conference Manager who knows the lower leagues and therefore the players available and systems to use. As above, ideally they are experienced, but if not I'd take a young, hungry manager with those credentials.

A lower league man for me, ideally a league one tried and tested got the t-shirt man... or a league two version.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Firstly, whilst we may disagree on the best ccfc manager (partly due to age) and whether they could cope with the modern game / life in league one / present owners/squad... (I think Bobby Gould would do well, I'm sure my dad would say the great JH).
Every sky blue fan now wants an experienced (ideally a few years in lg 1/2 and championship - in successful relegation battles and promotion (title?) successes), who has multiple contacts to acquire some players, charisma to charm all fans, possibility of being a player manager (Roy of the Rovers), and the backing (in £ms preferably!) from the board as our next manager. The reality is beggars can't be choosers...
Before anyone says we have options, yes, i agree some managers are out of work and coming here is a free hit (failure can be linked to position you arrived), so we will have a field of candidates.

Having seen an assortment of names over the past few weeks, who range from exciting, worrying to never heard of or are they still around... I think I will be happy with someone who comes in and tries to keep the club up, uses a formation that appears to suit the players, signs players who they think will make a difference and gets our young and underperforming team to operate better.
Basically, I'll support (almost!) anyone who is capable, cares and does their best. Surely we can all agree on that?
I'll await cries of lacking ambition...
A Manager who's rich enough to buy his own player's , because Sisu are not going to buy player's good enough to get out of league one . :greedy:

ccfchoi87

A Manager who's rich enough to buy his own player's , because Sisu are not going to buy player's good enough to get out of league one . :greedy:

Yeah because Scunthorpe spent loads of money on players, same for burton last year. Shame we haven't bought 2 players this year

JulianDarbyFTW

As much as the managerial merry-go-round sucks, right now I'd be happy with a been-there-got-the-T-shirt kind of manager. Yes, the same old names appear all over the leagues, but that isn't a bad thing for a club in our state. A Gary Johnson / Phil Brown type, who knows his stuff. Not exciting, but what we need imho.

Users who are viewing this thread