Take the knee (2 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

BLM are a Marxist mob who most on here think acceptable along with antifa.
The Millwall players released this statement yesterday.

Seems an awful lot of fans just ignored it .

As a squad we are fully supportive of the entire football family’s efforts in ridding the sport, and society generally, of all forms of discrimination.

“It is our duty as players to reinforce the positive messaging and action of clubs, Community Trusts, charities and governing bodies, and we do so with great pride and knowledge that so much good work is being done up and down the country.

“The gesture of ‘taking the knee’ before matches provides an opportunity for us to do exactly that and continues to allow all those playing to publicly showcase their support – on behalf of the whole squad – for the fight against discrimination.

“We wish to make clear that taking the knee, for us, is in no way representative of any agreement with political messaging or ideology. It is purely about tackling discrimination, as has been the case throughout.

“We will continue to do this until the start of the New Year when a new and comprehensive anti-discrimination strategy will be announced by the club.”
Do you have a problem with this?

SBT

I'm not really outraged at Kazim-Richards doing it. Just not totally comfortable with it for historical reasons.

It really is amazing that you apparently know more about the motivations behind these protest gestures than the black players themselves. I’m sure they’d love you to explain it to them.

Sky Blue Pete

So you really think that when black players take the knee they’re thinking “One step closer to the proletariat seizing the means of production, my brothers” rather than “It would be cool if security guards stopped following me around the supermarket for wearing a hoodie” etc? That’s the debate they’re trying to have?
Nope I’m saying that it’s political to demand the same rights irrespective of the colour of your skin

Ian1779

Gammon Twitter is falling over itself tonight to defend the Millwall fans that booed. Rolling out the whole racist Trump bingo repertoire to boot.

SBT

I’m missing something here. Please explain what it is.

Equality is a fundamental human right. There’s nothing political about it. If you want to join a political movement that argues otherwise then go ahead, but you won’t be in great company.

SBT

Ah, you again.

Still out of ideas I see?

Going from “it’s hard to defend black players raising their fist” to “Dabo can do what he wants” in the space of a few minutes is just embarrassing.

Why can’t you see that you’re making exactly the same bad faith arguments as the Millwall fans who insist they’re not really against anti-racist movements, just the ones that are a little too ‘in your face’ for their liking?

Sky Blue Pete

Equality is a fundamental human right. There’s nothing political about it. If you want to join a political movement that argues otherwise then go ahead, but you won’t be in great company.
That makes no sense. Course equality of treatment is a fundamental human right. But what isn’t political about demanding it if it’s not a reality. I really don’t understand

Brighton Sky Blue

Still out of ideas I see?

Going from “it’s hard to defend black players raising their fist” to “Dabo can do what he wants” in the space of a few minutes is just embarrassing.

Why can’t you see that you’re making exactly the same bad faith arguments as the Millwall fans who insist they’re not really against anti-racist movements, just the ones that are a little too ‘in your face’ for their liking?

I'm being consistent in that I wouldn't ban them making whichever gesture they feel appropriate. But the salute and Black Power movement it's most associated with was generally opposed to peaceful protest. This is pretty indisputable but of course, try and make out like I'm a closet racist.

dancers lance

I think the chance to boo the players taking the knee was far more important to those Millwall fans than the game itself.

SBT

That makes no sense. Course equality of treatment is a fundamental human right. But what isn’t political about demanding it if it’s not a reality. I really don’t understand

We’re getting sidetracked and we’re likely in agreement on most things so no point in arguing too much over technicalities. But while the existence of inequality is often a deliberate political decision, and it may take political action to fight it, it nevertheless shouldn’t be seen as a political statement to stand up for a human right. The difference between those last two things is the difference between “I take a knee because I want to destroy this country’s political system” and “I take a knee because I want to be seen as an equal person in this country”.

Evo1883

To be honest it's just part of the pre game routine in my eyes now, don't even bat an eyelid... Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for the movement though 🤷

Sky Blue Pete

We’re getting sidetracked and we’re likely in agreement on most things so no point in arguing too much over technicalities. But while the existence of inequality is often a deliberate political decision, and it may take political action to fight it, it nevertheless shouldn’t be seen as a political statement to stand up for a human right. The difference between those two things is the difference between “I take a knee because I want to destroy this country’s political system” and “I take a knee because I want to be seen as an equal person in this country”.
Yep happy to agree

clint van damme

I'm being consistent in that I wouldn't ban them making whichever gesture they feel appropriate. But the salute and Black Power movement it's most associated with was generally opposed to peaceful protest. This is pretty indisputable but of course, try and make out like I'm a closet racist.

So that's why Milwall booed.
They were all on board with taking the knee but when a player did a black powet salute they decided in a split second that on balance and despite of the violence and prejudice black peoe have faced for centuries that a gesture associated with violent resistance to the aforementioned prejudices was inappropriate and so they booed.

Their decades long association with racism.is purely coincidental.

SBT

Only you could admit if you’re a closet racist (I’m sure you never would). But I think it’s pretty shameful that if Dabo was booed by a crowd of white people for raising his fist in the name of equality, by your own admission you’d struggle to defend him.

clint van damme

To be honest it's just part of the pre game routine in my eyes now, don't even bat an eyelid... Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing for the movement though 🤷

Which is where I am.on it. Or was.
Those supporters booing today have just hand3d it back.itd potency so it's going to roll on.

Evo1883

Which is where I am.on it. Or was.
Those supporters booing today have just hand3d it back.itd potency so it's going to roll on.

Ultimately whether it rolls on or not most people don't even care about it anymore... Which in itself is defeating the object.

Carry on forever for all I care, I just watch the match

Brighton Sky Blue

Only you could admit if you’re a closet racist (I’m sure you never would). But I think it’s pretty shameful that if Dabo was booed by a crowd of white people for raising his fist in the name of equality, by your own admission you’d struggle to defend him.

Hang on just a minute, those fans were booing all of it because they're opposed to BLM. I am not. You seem to be swerving the point that I am just uncomfortable with the raised fist salute because of it's connotations with opposition to non-violent protest.

clint van damme

Ultimately whether it rolls on or not most people don't even care about it anymore... Which in itself is defeating the object.

Carry on forever for all I care, I just watch the match

Yeah. I'm in agreement with the message but doing it constantly loses its potency

Be like buying the missus a bouquet of flowers every week. She'd soon get fucked off with it!

Brighton Sky Blue

So that's why Milwall booed.
They were all on board with taking the knee but when a player did a black powet salute they decided in a split second that on balance and despite of the violence and prejudice black peoe have faced for centuries that a gesture associated with violent resistance to the aforementioned prejudices was inappropriate and so they booed.

Their decades long association with racism.is purely coincidental.

I didn't say that at all. I even posted above what their reasons were-they're opposed to the whole BLM movement.

I don't think it's controversial to be uncomfortable with the Black Power movement for its advocation of violent protest. Big figures in the 60s civil rights movement had the same issues with it.

Evo1883

Is what it is lads, everybody thinks differently about things... No point arguing

clint van damme

I didn't say that at all. I even posted above what their reasons were-they're opposed to the whole BLM movement.

I don't think it's controversial to be uncomfortable with the Black Power movement for its advocation of violent protest. Big figures in the 60s civil rights movement had the same issues with it.

I'm mot saying you said it but if thats their excuse it's absolute bollocks that anyone can see through.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm mot saying you said it but if thats their excuse it's absolute bollocks that anyone can see through.

I don't think it is. Their excuse seems to be the burning of a Union flag by a rogue protester. If I found myself in the minority not booing I'd have walked out.

SBT

Hang on just a minute, those fans were booing all of it because they're opposed to BLM. I am not. You seem to be swerving the point that I am just uncomfortable with the raised fist salute because of it's connotations with opposition to non-violent protest.

Haven’t seen anyone row back this fast since Steve Redgrave’s day.

Would you defend a black player raising their fist in the name of equality or not? I’m not asking because there’s a right or wrong answer, I’m asking because you profess to know more about the players’ intentions than the players themselves.

The days where protest is only allowed if it fits the parameters of what you personally find acceptable are long gone. This is their fight, not yours.

Users who are viewing this thread