Match Thread Stoke City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 17th Feb (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueChris

Preston & WBA:

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Eccles Torp
Saka O’Hare Wright
Simms

Maidstone:

Wilson
Lusala Lats Binks Dasilva
Kelly Torp
Tavares Palmer Andrews
Godden

Reckon that’s as much rest as you can get, swap Torp for Eccles at half time/fitness depending.

Just kept our first clean sheet of 2024 and first in 12 games I think Robins said and you think the keeper, LB and LCB all deserve to be dropped for the next game??

shmmeee

We have 6 days now until Preston, plenty of recovery time. I can't see how Robins drops Wilson, Binks or Dasilva now against Preston but that does mean we would have Collins, Kitching and Bidwell for Maidstone!

Its about who he wants playing at WBA. And it’ll be our best players. Maybe Dasilva for Bidwell.

OldBedrocker

Preston & WBA:

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Eccles Torp
Saka O’Hare Wright
Simms

Maidstone:

Wilson
Lusala Lats Binks Dasilva
Kelly Torp
Tavares Palmer Andrews
Godden

Reckon that’s as much rest as you can get, swap Torp for Eccles at half time/fitness depending.
Want to lose to Maidstone then?

pusbccfc

skybluecam

Not in a million years.
No, in 8 days

There’s arguably only 2-3 first choice players in there. Obviously any team we put out “should” win but you increase the odds of an upset massively by playing players who haven’t played much and certainly haven’t played much together.

Imagine if we went 1-0 down. You think the likes of Lusala, Andrews and Tavares will have the confidence to not panic?

JohnWH

This wasn't a pretty game to watch, I'll not comment on individual performances or gaffes but rather the entirety of team performance. I'm not typically even slightly negative, especially after picking up points, but it's nice to see a win even when not playing to our proven potential. The team has the ability to have comfortably won this game rather than it feeling so nervy (whether that's 3-0 or even still 1-0). In a sense, as I think others have commented, grinding out a win while underperformed can still be a mark of a good team and not necessarily an indication of the opposition.

Love the win. A fine goal by Simms. We could have scored more.

I wonder what-could-have-been had Fabio been given a bit more chance to be involved. We've not seen what he could be capable of. A bit of a silent debut. But I'm interested to see what he has, and he looks like he could have that blindly naive sense to push his limits and be very capable given enough opportunity. Some more frequent substitution opportunities, I hope, should give him the chance to test his mettle outside the training ground and I think he'll be a guaranteed more and more game time.

Love the clean sheet. But, I mark that down (halfway at least... don't want to diminish some fine individual defending moments) simply to Stoke's lack of showing any ability today in getting a shot anywhere near goal especially the few that had good open chances to punish. Rather, not "any ability" BBC lists 1 shot on target for 13 shots total but which still kinda proves my point. Clean sheet and all, but I feel most teams would have scored against us today continuing a long stretch of games where our results depend more and more on getting insurance goals.

Still had a fun watch. Looking forward to next game. Hope Torpedo will be okay? Best wishes to Saka getting well soon, as well. Have a fine rest of your night, you all. And best wishes to any Stoker lurkers out there.

shmmeee

No, in 8 days

There’s arguably only 2-3 first choice players in there. Obviously any team we put out “should” win but you increase the odds of an upset massively by playing players who haven’t played much and certainly haven’t played much together.

Imagine if we went 1-0 down. You think the likes of Lusala, Andrews and Tavares will have the confidence to not panic?

Yes? They’re pro footballers not some kids from the park. Tavares started for us today in the Championship FFS

Astute

Taxi for Robins that lasted a few years?

I've taken a lot of shite from people like yourself for pointing out ludicrous comments about Simms. It's easy for ne to notice those that have now gone AWOL. You still won't admit Robins is a very good manager so I only expect snide remarks from you on the subject of Simms.

Astute

Battled hard today, thought Stoke were fairly decent, they had two absolute clear headers from corners which was a let off. Simms ran himself into the ground, fair play to him, Wright knew he had a poor game but at least clapped the fans as he went off on his own. 50mins to get away and poured down on the way home, happy with that though.
Stoke have paid a lot of money for their players but they haven't got anyone up front. It seemed like they played 4 6 0 with a high press and flooded the midfield. 13 shots but only 1 on target and that was straight at Wilson.

Last edited:

hamertime

we all live and breath cov, i wont lie i absolutely steaming. whatever happens ill strangle away fans for this club. now ellis has come alive we will be a force to be reckoned with. Come on ellis get really angry and smash it.

hamertime

This wasn't a pretty game to watch, I'll not comment on individual performances or gaffes but rather the entirety of team performance. I'm not typically even slightly negative, especially after picking up points, but it's nice to see a win even when not playing to our proven potential. The team has the ability to have comfortably won this game rather than it feeling so nervy (whether that's 3-0 or even still 1-0). In a sense, as I think others have commented, grinding out a win while underperformed can still be a mark of a good team and not necessarily an indication of the opposition.

Love the win. A fine goal by Simms. We could have scored more.

I wonder what-could-have-been had Fabio been given a bit more chance to be involved. We've not seen what he could be capable of. A bit of a silent debut. But I'm interested to see what he has, and he looks like he could have that blindly naive sense to push his limits and be very capable given enough opportunity. Some more frequent substitution opportunities, I hope, should give him the chance to test his mettle outside the training ground and I think he'll be a guaranteed more and more game time.

Love the clean sheet. But, I mark that down (halfway at least... don't want to diminish some fine individual defending moments) simply to Stoke's lack of showing any ability today in getting a shot anywhere near goal especially the few that had good open chances to punish. Rather, not "any ability" BBC lists 1 shot on target for 13 shots total but which still kinda proves my point. Clean sheet and all, but I feel most teams would have scored against us today continuing a long stretch of games where our results depend more and more on getting insurance goals.

Still had a fun watch. Looking forward to next game. Hope Torpedo will be okay? Best wishes to Saka getting well soon, as well. Have a fine rest of your night, you all. And best wishes to any Stoker lurkers out there.
too long

Users who are viewing this thread