Shocked / advise (1 Viewer)

Covcraig@bury

Having a family meal and just talking shite , the usual. Asked how my week had been and what I’d been up to . I asked the same question to my mother in law and was totally shocked. She ( 78 years old ) had gone to Telford for a Tommy Robinson rally … I just don’t know what to say …..

JulianDarbyFTW

As unsavoury as it may seem, people are allowed different opinions and beliefs. I'm politically a centrist, and find both the far right and the far left have some distasteful ideals, but I'm happy to allow them to have their voice. The world would be incredibly dull and santised without a wide range of views for people to discuss and challenge and, yes, believe. That's the (thoertical) beauty of a democracy - the view of the majority is what matters, and that can be shaped by challenging conversations by those at the edges.

With that political broadcast out of the way, I'd probably start by asking her why she went.

Tea & Busquets

As unsavoury as it may seem, people are allowed different opinions and beliefs. I'm politically a centrist, and find both the far right and the far left have some distasteful ideals, but I'm happy to allow them to have their voice. The world would be incredibly dull and santised without a wide range of views for people to discuss and challenge and, yes, believe. That's the (thoertical) beauty of a democracy - the view of the majority is what matters, and that can be shaped by challenging conversations by those at the edges.

With that political broadcast out of the way, I'd probably start by asking her why she went.
There’s a difference between having a more controversial viewpoint and being racist and islamophobic though

pusbccfc

Can she play in midfield?

Covcraig@bury

I totally agree and you put it so eloquently. I like my wife was just shocked that she was so open and proud at her big day out .
her mind set is still I believe the big black man will get you .
mere still unsure where this has come from , and to make a journey from a small village to Telford is ,,, well unbelievable!!!

JulianDarbyFTW

There’s a difference between having a more controversial and being racist and islamophobic though
Oh yes, of course there is, but that's why you need to understand the reasons for going. Did she go to support, to hold up a sign saying 'I hate Tommy Robinson', to hear the beliefs from the horses mouth and question if she agreed or not, or just to see what all the fuss is about.

Tea & Busquets

Oh yes, of course there is, but that's why you need to understand the reasons for going. Did she go to support, to hold up a sign saying 'I hate Tommy Robinson', to hear the beliefs from the horses mouth and question if she agreed or not, or just to see what all the fuss is about.
I feel like the posters uneasy tone about the whole ordeal should be enough of a tell that she was there supporting. But who knows am I right

Hobo

Having a family meal and just talking shite , the usual. Asked how my week had been and what I’d been up to . I asked the same question to my mother in law and was totally shocked. She ( 78 years old ) had gone to Telford for a Tommy Robinson rally … I just don’t know what to say …..

I am assuming she chucked eggs at him? The end of your post was a bit open ended??

Captain_Slackbladder

There was a documentary this week about the Barrow cases where a young woman made up a chronic pack or lies against Asian men. She has subsequently received a hefty prison sentence, however Yaxley-Lennon rocked up in the midst of the chaos to spread hatred. He's a racist scum bag and I would never spend time in the company of anyone who has any time for him. You have to be racist or stupid (I tend to find these terms aren't mutually exclusive) to believe him.

If he ever comes to Coventry I would like to think he would have the sh!t kicked out of him

Covcraig@bury

No no no . She was definitely there in support which makes it so much more wrong . There’s no excuse for her . She’s just so opinionated and it always the foreigners .

Mucca Mad Boys

No no no . She was definitely there in support which makes it so much more wrong . There’s no excuse for her . She’s just so opinionated and it always the foreigners .
If you want to cut ties, that’s your prerogative. I personally wouldn’t choose to associate with people like that if they were malicious.

djr8369

Just waiting for those so concerned about the racism in Ukraine to turn up and condemn the fraudster-grifter king Yaxley-Lennon…

In all seriousness, these situations are difficult. Not someone you’d choose to associate with but then when it’s such close family difficult to cut ties. One thing worth remembering is everyone’s experience on the internet is different. People get radicalised seeing one side only and might not realise what kind of person Yaxley-Lennon really is.

On the other hand, a lot of people are racist and just waiting for it to be acceptable enough to be open about.

ms639

Genuine question, not an accusatory question. Are you a white man?

I genuinely would find it hard to believe you would hold this view if you weren’t. It’s impossible for me as a brown man (dad Indian, mum English) to even begin to empathise with/ legitimise anyone with far right views.

What you’re saying here is you can find a way to accept that people have a negative view of a person entirely based on their race and / or religion. In my view it’s absolutely abhorrent and always will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

What to say? Nothing really… the underpinning of a democracy is people are allowed different opinions. Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean she isn’t allowed hers.

tommy Robinson is a bellend, but it’s his right in a free and open country to be a bellend

Gynnsthetonic

At 78 I'm sure she's entitled too

TomRad85

I genuinely would find it hard to believe you would hold this view if you weren’t. It’s impossible for me as a brown man (dad Indian, mum English) to even begin to empathise with/ legitimise anyone with far right views.

What you’re saying here is you can find a way to accept that people have a negative view of a person entirely based on their race and / or religion. In my view it’s absolutely abhorrent and always will be.

India has a far right mate, its not exclusive to the white man.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Not a chance . You don’t get on a train to Telford for no reason. She really is living in the past 🤬

It’s important to engage with people you really disagree with.

It depends how you want to go about these disagreements. The natural instinct is to say ‘you’re wrong, you’re a racist’ but people will double down on those beliefs.

Anyway, if you haven’t heard of Daryl Davis, then you’re in for a treat. I’ve listened to him on a few podcasts and his story is inspiring. A lesson I took from this (and other sources in general) is to influence people indirectly.

covcity4life

Tommy is a prick but I think it's fair enough to say England has a problem with immigration levels and lack of integration. As a brown man I can still understand people getting scared and unfortunately following this man because of it.

robbiekeane

Do you want to be happy or do you want to be right?

She’s 78. It’s sad but you’re probably not changing her opinions if they are deeply ingrained. If it was me, I’d ask her why she went, a few pointed questions, and if it’s clear she’s an old racist lady I’d just leave it as that and go on and live my life. With minimal contact with her probably.

chiefdave

Has she ever expressed anything remotely like this before? My Dad started making totally out of character comments a few years back, eventually he was diagnosed with dementia.

From what I've read since this is actually quite a common early sign as it's a particular part of the brain that for unknown reasons can be affected before the dementia really kicks in and gets diagnosed. Often missed as its just dismissed as a stereotypical 'racist old man'.

ms639

India has a far right mate, its not exclusive to the white man.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Oh 100% India is as right wing now as it’s been in decades and I fundamentally disagree with with Modi’s stance on Indian nationalism. Not sure it diminishes my point though…?

The conversation was one of a specifically British context relating to Tommy Robinson.

Last edited:

ms639

It’s important to engage with people you really disagree with.

It depends how you want to go about these disagreements. The natural instinct is to say ‘you’re wrong, you’re a racist’ but people will double down on those beliefs.

Anyway, if you haven’t heard of Daryl Davis, then you’re in for a treat. I’ve listened to him on a few podcasts and his story is inspiring. A lesson I took from this (and other sources in general) is to influence people indirectly.

Great point. In a social media age algorithms can force us to exist in a vacuum which is really really dangerous. You have to be able to find a way to engaged in a nuanced manner though which in a world (online) which thrives on polarisation, that can be really difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread