Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 20th Jan (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Don't even think the Wednesday player got a yellow for this did he?

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Also, this:

It's a wider societal problem.

agreed @mark82 but let’s not lose sight of what we are currently talking about, a non-isolated incident of racist abuse from a set of fans with a LOT of previous, in a city that has a problem with racism…

none of this, other than the incident on Saturday, is really our concern, but it should all be taken into account when punishing their club, and that punishment should be severe enough to ensure this behaviour does not continue (although I hold out little hope).

the fuckwits in the crowd and the idiots on twitter etc trying to justify it should also be dealt with.

this isn’t one guy in one game making one mistake, it’s been shown now to be a much bigger problem in Sheffield

Londonccfcfan

agreed @mark82 but let’s not lose sight of what we are currently talking about, a non-isolated incident of racist abuse from a set of fans with a LOT of previous, in a city that has a problem with racism…

none of this, other than the incident on Saturday, is really our concern, but it should all be taken into account when punishing their club, and that punishment should be severe enough to ensure this behaviour does not continue (although I hold out little hope).

the fuckwits in the crowd and the idiots on twitter etc trying to justify it should also be dealt with.

this isn’t one guy in one game making one mistake, it’s been shown now to be a much bigger problem in Sheffield

Darren Moore recieved horrendous racist abuse on twitter by their fans after first leg play off loss.

Seems this isn't isolated incidents there are many rascists in their fanbase.

Londonccfcfan

It's funny before the game we were chatting and saying Cov have never had beef with Wednesday before....can't stand the blunts.
My opinion of Wednesday fans and a club is changing.
Horrific to see such blatant rascism in view of 30k with zero shame. Needs stamping out.

David O'Day

It's funny before the game we were chatting and saying Cov have never had beef with Wednesday before....can't stand the blunts.
My opinion of Wednesday fans and a club is changing.
Horrific to see such blatant rascism in view of 30k with zero shame. Needs stamping out.
yeah, never understood the love in

Them and United are much of a muchness

David O'Day

There's a fella on that owlstalk thread claiming we were throwing full pint glasses at the "family stand" which is impressive as there weren't any pint glasses (hardly any drinks that weren't Carling in a plastic bottle)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Wednesday doubled up on O'HARE yesterday and kicked him from pillar to post, which is why he was below par, but they forgot about Sheaf, who had the space to score the goals.

torchomatic

He's been absolutely slaughtered to be honest. Even his responses are getting slated. I think he's learned a lesson and hopefully others have to but people need to leave it at that now.
Owlstalk has said he has done similar things in the past, unsavoury comments and the like, so not sure how sincere his apology actually is.

Astute

It was quite a shock when I moved up here how white it was compared with Coventry. My workplace was 99% white.
The last place I lived in the UK stood out to me for the same reason. When I moved there I was shocked. People openly racist. I was mates with the only black person I knew who lived there other than the Asians who owned the Indian restaurants. Then you had a few Chinese who had the Chinese restaurants.

Things changed less than 10 years ago. There was plenty of housing available and cheap so people got moved there. Suddenly all nationalities moved into the area. You could still buy a house for less than 30k. This made some people worse than before.

It culminated when a young female made allegations on the Asians running the Indian restaurants saying they were a grooming gang. Their restaurants got smashed up and they had to escape the area. My 22 year old daughter knew her well as they went to the same school. You should all have seen something in the last year or so as finally the truth came out. But people still drive around with 'Justice for Ellie' stickers on their cars and refuse to believe the truth.

Last edited:

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Look at the link I have put up and see if you still agree.

nothing you’ve posted makes me change my mind….

Although a number of the victims in the situation you’ve posted about are Asian, there’s no suggestion of a racist motive, and in fact the article even says as much, and two of the main victims identified are white males as far as I can make out? …having said that, I’m sure some idiots would have taken it as a race issue and used it as justification for taking ‘vigilante’ action, again as is suggested, which is wholly wrong and also shows the intelligence levels of some of these people

The situation could be described as more extreme than what happened yesterday, and I would probably agree it is, but it’s no more or less racist…

If any of the attacks, or even the allegations made by this girl, were fuelled by a hatred towards a certain race, that’s racism, in the same way the attacks by fans on KP were.

You wouldn’t say however ‘well the fans shouting and making gestures towards KP are only slightly racist, say 4 out of 10, and the people smashing up restaurants are definitely nearer a 7 out of 10 racist’ would you?

As I said before, racism is racism, end of - it might be in more or less extreme situations or circumstances, but it’s still just as abhorrently wrong!

clint van damme

The last place I lived in the UK stood out to me for the same reason. When I moved there I was shocked. People openly racist. I was mates with the only black person I knew who lived there other than the Asians who owned the Indian restaurants. Then you had a few Chinese who had the Chinese restaurants.

Things changed less than 10 years ago. There was plenty of housing available and cheap so people got moved there. Suddenly all nationalities moved into the area. You could still buy a house for less than 30k. This made some people worse than before.

It culminated when a young female made allegations on the Asians running the Indian restaurants saying they were a grooming gang. Their restaurants got smashed up and they had to escape the area. My 22 year old daughter knew her well as they went to the same school. You should all have seen something in the last year or so as finally the truth came out. But people still drive around with 'Justice for Ellie' stickers on their cars and refuse to believe the truth.

Remember hearing about that. She damaged a lot of people's lives.

Astute

nothing you’ve posted makes me change my mind….

Although a number of the victims in the situation you’ve posted about are Asian, there’s no suggestion of a racist motive, and in fact the article even says as much, and two of the main victims identified are white males as far as I can make out? …having said that, I’m sure some idiots would have taken it as a race issue and used it as justification for taking ‘vigilante’ action, again as is suggested, which is wholly wrong and also shows the intelligence levels of some of these people

The situation could be described as more extreme than what happened yesterday, and I would probably agree it is, but it’s no more or less racist…

If any of the attacks, or even the allegations made by this girl, were fuelled by a hatred towards a certain race, that’s racism, in the same way the attacks by fans on KP were.

You wouldn’t say however ‘well the fans shouting and making gestures towards KP are only slightly racist, say 4 out of 10, and the people smashing up restaurants are definitely nearer a 7 out of 10 racist’ would you?

As I said before, racism is racism, end of - it might be in more or less extreme situations or circumstances, but it’s still just as abhorrently wrong!
No sliding scale?

Although what happened on Saturday was completely wrong it can't be compared to what happened there. To give you a clue she got over 8 years. The article didn't tell the whole story. She even accused other Asians in different parts if the country. People arrested all over the place. People lost their living.

Can you imagine her buying a hammer and smashing it into her own face? Relationships ruined. Hate crime flew through the roof and that was during covid restrictions. It still hasn't stopped. The racists in the area still don't believe she was guilty of anything although she admitted once all the evidence stacked up. You would think she is mentally unstable but she isn't.

Then Tommy Robinson turned up with a hundred or so others at the police station. This was before the truth was out in the open.

Just shows what we're up against.

Astute

Remember hearing about that. She damaged a lot of people's lives.
In the hundreds at least. There was more that happened but I'm not prepared to put it on an open forum like this as it isn't common knowledge yet.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

No sliding scale?

Although what happened on Saturday was completely wrong it can't be compared to what happened there. To give you a clue she got over 8 years. The article didn't tell the whole story. She even accused other Asians in different parts if the country. People arrested all over the place. People lost their living.

Can you imagine her buying a hammer and smashing it into her own face? Relationships ruined. Hate crime flew through the roof and that was during covid restrictions. It still hasn't stopped. The racists in the area still don't believe she was guilty of anything although she admitted once all the evidence stacked up. You would think she is mentally unstable but she isn't.

Then Tommy Robinson turned up with a hundred or so others at the police station. This was before the truth was out in the open.

Just shows what we're up against.

A sliding scale of how extreme the incident is, yes, but like I’ve said before (and won’t say again now because I keep repeating myself) a racist is a racist - in effect your argument could be ‘well don’t worry about these guys at Sheff Weds because they were just a little bit racist’ which as we know is nonsense - you’re either racist or not, there’s no middle ground.

…and by the way, I hope your comment ‘just shows what we’re up against’ wasn’t directed at me, because as an African man I’ve had my fair share of issues with racism too just fyi so I am speaking from a position of understanding

Astute

A sliding scale of how extreme the incident is, yes, but like I’ve said before (and won’t say again now because I keep repeating myself) a racist is a racist - in effect your argument could be ‘well don’t worry about these guys at Sheff Weds because they were just a little bit racist’ which as we know is nonsense - you’re either racist or not, there’s no middle ground.

…and by the way, I hope your comment ‘just shows what we’re up against’ wasn’t directed at me, because as an African man I’ve had my fair share of issues with racism too just fyi so I am speaking from a position of understanding
So no sliding scale but yes a sliding scale?

Show me where I have said in any way that a racist isn't a racist.

African man? Directed at you? How would I have known? This is getting silly now. My eldest daughter is half Asian. Bet you knew this as much as I knew you're an African man.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

So no sliding scale but yes a sliding scale?

Show me where I have said in any way that a racist isn't a racist.

African man? Directed at you? How would I have known? This is getting silly now. My eldest daughter is half Asian. Bet you knew this as much as I knew you're an African man.

I didn’t think it was directed at me, I said I hope it wasn’t….

and I’m not sure how much clearer I could put it - there’s no ‘scale of racism’, you either are or aren’t, it’s simple!

you can categorise an event or situation as a more extreme situation or set of circumstances, but it doesn’t make the people attacking the restaurants in this case any more or less racist than the fans abusing KP.

I really can’t explain that any simpler

Astute

We could argue with ourselves. I'm pretty sure @2024/25 League 1 Champs? & @Astute are saying the same thing.
I wouldn't have made my last post but when talking about racism someone comes out with the line 'I'm an African man, was it aimed at me?' to me can only mean one thing. All I had said is some racism is worse than others and stated my reason why.

I'm happy to drop it. Think I need time away from the net.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

I wouldn't have made my last post but when talking about racism someone comes out with the line 'I'm an African man, was it aimed at me?' to me can only mean one thing. All I had said is some racism is worse than others and stated my reason why.

I'm happy to drop it. Think I need time away from the net.

sorry @Astute just to clarify I wasn’t saying you aimed your post at me because I’m an African man, I didn’t say ‘I’m an African man was it aimed at me” and I don’t think it comes across like that….

I said I hope you weren’t saying ‘this is what we’re up against’ referring to my posts, because I understand the issues as well as anybody

I was not for one second accusing you of being racist - I think that needs to be 100% clear

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

sorry @Astute just to clarify I wasn’t saying you aimed your post at me because I’m an African man, I didn’t say ‘I’m an African man was it aimed at me” and I don’t think it comes across like that….

I said I hope you weren’t saying ‘this is what we’re up against’ referring to my posts, because I understand the issues as well as anybody

I was not for one second accusing you of being racist - I think that needs to be 100% clear
That's good to know that's at least one of us off the hook.

Users who are viewing this thread