Match Thread Sheffield Wednesday - Coventry City [FA] Match Thread - Friday 26th Jan (3 Viewers)

TomRad85

Still don’t get why we didn’t go 433 with the same players:

Wilson
Lats Kitching Binks Dasilva
Eccles Torp Sheaf
Simms Godden Palmer

I get Lats and Kitching aren’t exactly what we want or Simms and Palmer, but at least everyone should know their roles.
I thought the same, saw the players and thought oh good we've stuck with 433... then to my horror!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Paulo Di Canio straight up came out as a fascist and didn’t get roundly booed. If were randomly policing footballers political views.

Sky Blue Pete

Is it that you agree with Ferdinand that taking the knee is a meaningless gesture without much tougher punishments for racism in football? Or are you just wheeling him out as a convenient example of someone who shares your dislike for players taking the knee, even if it’s for completely different reasons?
Yep Ferdinand is saying exactly what palmer and robins are saying. However last night as an opportunity for kaseys team and sheff wed and both sets of fans to support Kasey and say monkey gestures are abhorrent in 2024 at a black man
The method was for our team to take the knee. Easy for sheff wed to do the same. Can’t believe the black lads in their team didn’t make them
And both sets of fans to applaud the gesture
Anyone against that is just a twat

fernandopartridge

Still don’t get why we didn’t go 433 with the same players:

Wilson
Lats Kitching Binks Dasilva
Eccles Torp Sheaf
Simms Godden Palmer

I get Lats and Kitching aren’t exactly what we want or Simms and Palmer, but at least everyone should know their roles.
Yeah that was a bit puzzling, perhaps it was the imbalance of two left footed centre backs.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Mucca Mad Boys

Is it that you agree with Ferdinand that taking the knee is a meaningless gesture without much tougher punishments for racism in football? Or are you just wheeling him out as a convenient example of someone who shares your dislike for players taking the knee, even if it’s for completely different reasons?

It certainly became a meaningless gesture, especially when every team was doing it before every game.

However, last night it was good to see the squad rallied together. I have no issues with Sheffield Wednesday standing in solidarity - the incident would have hurt their own players too.

On one hand, credit to the Wednesday fans who unfurled ‘Racists Get in the bin’. In the other, disgraceful behaviour from the fans that booed Kasey Palmer - clowns.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

It’s not just me - Les Ferdinand for one

I think it’s been said already, but it’s a completely different set of circumstances.

Les Ferdinand, I assume, would’ve said something like ‘it’s been diluted’ or ‘is it making a difference anymore’ etc, or another of those wheeled out arguments that you may or may not agree with,

HOWEVER last night, although with the same common theme of racism, wasn’t about taking the knee to support BLM, it was purely a show of support and rallying behind a player who, only a week earlier, was racially abused on the same ground. It was a simple message and that was one of the only ways it could be delivered on the pitch in front of both sets of fans.

It wouldn’t have taken anything for the SW players to do the same, but they didn’t. It wouldn’t have taken anything for the SW fans to applaud / not boo, but again some / most(?) didn’t.

I don’t know why you seem to have an issue with taking the knee in general, and why you want to turn this into some sort of political statement or debate, but honestly it’s far simpler than that - they did it to make a specific point about, or rather against, a specific incident, and if you don’t agree with that then perhaps you could suggest a more effective means they could have shown their feelings….?

Astute

This conversation that we were playing prime Barcelona is odd. Even Leicester that you are now comparing them to is severly wide of the mark. That team are top of the league (we beat them anyway). It's another odd comparison. SWFC have won 6 games all season.

We take our chances and our goalkeeper does his job and we win that easily. There's many games where the opposition are good and coming away with a point is commendable (see Leeds away). This was not one of those games.

Their form might have gotten better, but they're still in the relegation zone, still played a weakened team, and we still beat them the week before without really getting out of third gear. We're still in the hat but anyone taking this draw as an outright success given the circumstances I just don't understand. We should have beaten them.

It seems there's a few people that can't critique this game, the team, or the manager. It makes them nervous for whatever reason. I would say that category is more applicable to needing a reality check. Someone even said I wanted Robins sacked because I said I thought he got it wrong yesterday. Even you are throwing something in about Allen, of to which I said nothing about.
You do know that it's OK to admit that you're wrong. Much better than looking like an idiot for bringing in world class teams like Manchester City and Barcelona to prove that we should have won yesterday instead of reading what was right in front of your eyes.

Yes you just looked at the table and saw a team near the bottom. Don't worry think most would have done the same. It's insane how their home form is so different to the away form. This has nothing to do with Barcelona, Manchester City or Leicester City. It was about how they have made their home a fortress. Only 1 defeat since September at home before our games. They won nearly all of them. These facts are undeniable.

Or would you like to explain how their previous 8 home games were 6 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat with 20 goals for and only 6 against when the run of games included teams going for automatic promotion and the playoffs yet you expected us to win both games?

Their away form is awful. That's why they're near the bottom of the table. We've had seasons like that before.

I haven't said they're a good side. Haven't seen anyone say they're a good side. I expect us to win the replay. That's not because of the run we're on. It's because they're useless away. We'll be on a proper football pitch and not a lumpy, bumpy shite surface. We will be able to play our normal passing game.

What makes me happier is we could have beat them at their place twice even though they were on a great home run. They only managed two shots on target. The goal they got was deflected by one of our defenders and was one of the two shots counted as being on target. In their previous 8 home games they were averaging more than 2 goals a game whilst averaging less than a goal a game against.

Astute

whether you’re bothered by the cup or not, and let’s be honest most if not all would take play offs / promotion over an FA cup win I’d imagine, the one good thing about the draw and bringing them back to the CBS is that the club now has a massive opportunity to make a stand and show support to KP

after what’s happened over the last week, in both games, I’d imagine there will still be some media interest - depending on results in other ties we may even get a TV slot, but even if not we can still, as a club and as fans individually, all show up
Lots of clubs get promoted/relegated each season. Only one club wins the FA Cup.

If someone said to me we are not going to get promotion this season but we're going to win the FA Cup I'd be satisfied to say the least. Play in Europe? That was taken away from us in 87.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Lots of clubs get promoted/relegated each season. Only one club wins the FA Cup.

If someone said to me we are not going to get promotion this season but we're going to win the FA Cup I'd be satisfied to say the least. Play in Europe? That was taken away from us in 87.

Fair point, but would playing in Europe bring in as much money as promotion, and even if we got relegated again?

Genuine question, because in my view I would imagine we’d play a few games against teams that would blow us out the water given we wouldn’t have the means to compete, and have a vastly underwhelming time of it all

Astute

Fair point, but would playing in Europe bring in as much money as promotion, and even if we got relegated again?

Genuine question, because in my view I would imagine we’d play a few games against teams that would blow us out the water given we wouldn’t have the means to compete, and have a vastly underwhelming time of it all
Do you remember the years we got Promoted and relegated? Do you remember when we won the FA Cup?

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Do you remember the years we got Promoted and relegated? Do you remember when we won the FA Cup?

Well yes to both those questions, particularly the recent play off final(s) (if you also count the Luton game) - probably not so much the year we won the league by default because of Covid, but still a memory none the less

I’m not saying you’re wrong, it’s your opinion - I’m just giving mine and I think for the financial reasons alone I’d personally take promotion (preferably via the play offs) over an FA Cup final

Astute

Well yes to both those questions, particularly the recent play off final(s) (if you also count the Luton game) - probably not so much the year we won the league by default because of Covid, but still a memory none the less
We didn't win by default. We were the best side. Not our fault the season ended early. But yes agree with the rest.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

You do know that it's OK to admit that you're wrong. Much better than looking like an idiot for bringing in world class teams like Manchester City and Barcelona to prove that we should have won yesterday instead of reading what was right in front of your eyes.

Yes you just looked at the table and saw a team near the bottom. Don't worry think most would have done the same. It's insane how their home form is so different to the away form. This has nothing to do with Barcelona, Manchester City or Leicester City. It was about how they have made their home a fortress. Only 1 defeat since September at home before our games. They won nearly all of them. These facts are undeniable.

Or would you like to explain how their previous 8 home games were 6 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat with 20 goals for and only 6 against when the run of games included teams going for automatic promotion and the playoffs yet you expected us to win both games?

Their away form is awful. That's why they're near the bottom of the table. We've had seasons like that before.

I haven't said they're a good side. Haven't seen anyone say they're a good side. I expect us to win the replay. That's not because of the run we're on. It's because they're useless away. We'll be on a proper football pitch and not a lumpy, bumpy shite surface. We will be able to play our normal passing game.

What makes me happier is we could have beat them at their place twice even though they were on a great home run. They only managed two shots on target. The goal they got was deflected by one of our defenders and was one of the two shots counted as being on target. In their previous 8 home games they were averaging more than 2 goals a game whilst averaging less than a goal a game against.

I'm really not sure what you are trying to argue about. You're so heads down about this you aren't being reasonable.

You are talking as if we should be delighted with a draw there and that we played someone excellent. This mindset is just totally bizarre to me. You are also the one that used Leicester as a comparison, not me, which was another thing massively wide of the mark. Leicester have won 21 games, SWFC have won 6. I don't care if most of them were recently or at home. We were there literally a week ago and won without being very good. We've scored twice as many goals as them too.

SWFC may survive this year but they're still in the relegation zone and it's almost February. Even if they are better at home than away, they're still not very good. They've won 4 home games all season, drawn 3, lost 7.

You're also just making things up to try and win an argument that doesn't mean anything. 'You just looked at the league table'. I didn't. Last post you said that I made a comment about Jamie Allen, and I didn't do that either. As for accepting that I'm wrong, about what exactly? All I've said is that they aren't very good, and that they only got a draw because we basically were a bit sloppy at key parts of the pitch. What part of those things is wrong?

Astute

I'm really not sure what you are trying to argue about. You're so heads down about this you aren't being reasonable.

You are talking as if we should be delighted with a draw there and that we played someone excellent. This mindset is just totally bizarre to me. You are also the one that used Leicester as a comparison, not me, which was another thing massively wide of the mark Leicester have won 21 games, SWFC have won 6. I don't care if most of them were recently or at home. We were there literally a week ago and won without being very good. We've scored twice as many goals as them too.
SWFC may survive this year but they're still in the relegation zone and it's almost February. Even if they are better at home than away, they're still not very good. They've won 4 home games all season, drawn 3, lost 7.

You're also just making things up to try and win an argument that doesn't mean anything. 'You just looked at the league table'. I didn't. Last post you said that I made a comment about Jamie Allen, and I didn't do that either. As for accepting that I'm wrong, about what exactly? All I've said is that they aren't very good, and that they only got a draw because we basically were a bit sloppy at key parts of the pitch. What part of those things is wrong?
Oh dear.

Point out what I've made up.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I have. Just for you. So what part of it isn't the truth?

You said I made a comment about Jamie Allen. I didn't. You also said that I only looked at the league table, which wasn't true either. I made my own judgments on them not being a very good side on a variety of metrics which aren't only confined to looking at the league table. Your 'counter-stats' don't really do anything to validate that we should be happy with a draw there, they just point out that they are even worse away from home, but have gotten a few more results in recent times than they did at the beginning of the season.

They are a poor team regardless, and they only got a draw yesterday because we were our own worst enemy. I don't see how either of those assessments are wrong. I know you are absolutely itching for an argument regardless of context, and you keep replying without really reading what I've said, but let's leave it at that. The rest of the forum must be having a headache.

Users who are viewing this thread