Several EFL Clubs “days away from going bust” (1 Viewer)

Brylowes

I'm not the only one who does not want to be champions this way. In 30 years time when we've had no other glory to mention and my kids ask me, 'dad dad what diid it feel like when Coventry won their title in 2020'

'fuck knows son we were all sat indoors'

Nah I want the glory!!!
First priority at the moment should probably be making sure we’re all still here in 30 years time.

chiefdave

I assume the TV money will be released and they can cancel expired contracts at the end of May
Why would the TV companies hand over money for contracts that have been breached for the rights to show games that have been cancelled? IMO more likely they will take legal action to recover money already paid. Premier League alone are said to be on the hook for £750m in TV money if they end the season now.

Grendel

Why would the TV companies hand over money for contracts that have been breached for the rights to show games that have been cancelled? IMO more likely they will take legal action to recover money already paid. Premier League alone are said to be on the hook for £750m in TV money if they end the season now.

The Money is mostly a filter down from the Premier League deal isn’t it? Also games behind closed doors are all cost and no real
benefit and clubs can boot out if contract players and streamline the wage bill.

Magwitch

Just think the EFL should have decided a month ago to go with points per ratio of games average and perhaps no relegation if the other leagues agreed, everyone would have known exactly where they stood and could have planned the future, where we are now if we now have to wait until June and July clubs can’t plan and it might not even happen then, yet again the EFL not fit for purpose.

Colin Steins Smile

IMO - The key to any decision will be driven by money. I cannot see the value for the broadcasters of taking additional games next season, in lieu of curtailing the league this season. Currently, the broadcasters have no material to promote and they'll be desperate for a short term fix to retain subscriptions and advertising revenues.
If they are only offered additional games next season they could face diminished returns for advertising slots, due to a saturation of games potentially reducing the value of advertising slots. Furthermore, the world economy will be trying to recover from a recession and more sports will be returning to screens and there is only so much sport broadcasters can show.
Therefore, I think games will return behind close doors on 6th June with a potential 2 week extension of the season into July. Then rescheduling the start of next season to late August.

Paxman II

I have said it over and over. The season should be ended with a fair system to determine the final standings. Then everyone can get on with preparation for next season.
Trying to complete a season of just 9 games is fraught with logistical problems galore if there is no full return to normality. I'm just waiting for the realityto set in for these people controlling football.

Liquid Gold

Theres 9 games left, just finish them, it's not impossible and if you scratch them off then it sets a dangerous precedent. This thing isn't going to be gone like magic for the start of the next season and 9 games in this time was 17 September, if teams have concerns up to that point and we miss 9 games can they just call the whole thing off again?

I bet this was Andy Holt who has been coming over as a right twat on all this, going on that he has to look into the club's financial stability one minute and showing off designs for a new stand the next.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I have said it over and over. The season should be ended with a fair system to determine the final standings. Then everyone can get on with preparation for next season.
Trying to complete a season of just 9 games is fraught with logistical problems galore if there is no full return to normality. I'm just waiting for the realityto set in for these people controlling football.

As I've said before the only 'fair' system is to finish the games. Everything else will have people saying "we had easier teams to play than them so we'd have made play-offs" etc.

And you've still not explained why we should prepare for next season now when there is no guarantee next season will be started or when. Or even if it is chances are it will at least begin behind close doors or have a period where we go back into lockdown if a second surge looks likely messing with next years fixtures and we've knackered two seasons, not one. No season tickets can be sold or indeed likely any tickets at all for a number of games. So lots of costs involved, little income. So just finish this season and if it gets spread over two years so be it.

singers_pore

I very much doubt that the 2021-2022 season would start on time in any case. We might as well finish this season when it is safe to do so whenever that is. Could be Summer of 2020, could be end of 2020, could be 2021 or even 2022. Who knows?

Unfortunately this virus seems to be particularly pernicious and difficult to treat. Like HIV it seems to attack the blood cells and it could take years for an effective treatment to emerge. By that time, most of the current club owners will have probably gone bankrupt.

And before anyone accuses me of "scare mongering" just be aware that I was saying back in January that this virus thing was going to be massive when many of the politicians and MSM were saying that it was just like the flu.

skyblueeyesrevisited

I very much doubt that the 2021-2022 season would start on time in any case. We might as well finish this season when it is safe to do so whenever that is. Could be Summer of 2020, could be end of 2020, could be 2021 or even 2022. Who knows?

Unfortunately this virus seems to be particularly pernicious and difficult to treat. Like HIV it seems to attack the blood cells and it could take years for an effective treatment to emerge. By that time, most of the current club owners will have probably gone bankrupt.

And before anyone accuses me of "scare mongering" just be aware that I was saying back in January that this virus thing was going to be massive when many of the politicians and MSM were saying that it was just like the flu.
Arise Nostradamus II

Skybluefaz

I don't see how the 19-20 season can drag on past July. Let alone into another year. The issue of players contracts, loans etc. I think the games played already 34-35 for most teams represents the nearest thing we're going to get to a football season. Asking teams to drag it out indefinitely is not fair.

Liquid Gold

I don't see how the 19-20 season can drag on past July. Let alone into another year. The issue of players contracts, loans etc. I think the games played already 34-35 for most teams represents the nearest thing we're going to get to a football season. Asking teams to drag it out indefinitely is not fair.
I think the PFA would be more than happy to advise contracts and loans continue to the end of the season whenever that may be over the very real possibility that come July hundreds of their members are out of contract with nobody wanting to sign them.

Skybluefaz

I think the PFA would be more than happy to advise contracts and loans continue to the end of the season whenever that may be over the very real possibility that come July hundreds of their members are out of contract with nobody wanting to sign them.
How will that work though? Clubs will be paying more out on salaries in that case than they budgeted for with nothing coming in?

Liquid Gold

How will that work though? Clubs will be paying more out on salaries in that case than they budgeted for with nothing coming in?
They’ve already agreed a 25% pay cut and the salaries are covered by the government up to £2,500 a week. That will cover most players salaries in the bottom two leagues. Then they know they have 4/5 games coming with significant broadcasting income. Cancel the season and they get 0 coming in, claims for refunds on tickets and players still contracted to the end of June. I don’t think a 1 month extension to get games done is in any way outrageous.

Magwitch

There is or is going to be financial help coming from the Premiership that is to ease things for the smaller clubs I think it was £135million between the clubs with that additional money things. should be okay for a while surely

steve cooper

In reality what is likely to happen if lots of clubs go into administration. There always seems to be someone willing to put a rescue package together, even at Bury that could have happened if the FL had accepted it. It did happen at Bolton. Grounds and training facilities will still exist, and will the authorities want to deduct points / relegate teams or remove the golden share from multiple clubs and replace them with lower league clubs who themselves are in financial dire straits?

Skybluefaz

They’ve already agreed a 25% pay cut and the salaries are covered by the government up to £2,500 a week. That will cover most players salaries in the bottom two leagues. Then they know they have 4/5 games coming with significant broadcasting income. Cancel the season and they get 0 coming in, claims for refunds on tickets and players still contracted to the end of June. I don’t think a 1 month extension to get games done is in any way outrageous.
I think there are too many unknowns to say it will only be a 1 month extension. Looks like there may be a 3 week extension of lockdown. Players will not have trained properly for ages.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
There is or is going to be financial help coming from the Premiership that is to ease things for the smaller clubs I think it was £135million between the clubs with that additional money things. should be okay for a while surely
Maybe not...

Liquid Gold

In reality what is likely to happen if lots of clubs go into administration. There always seems to be someone willing to put a rescue package together, even at Bury that could have happened if the FL had accepted it. It did happen at Bolton. Grounds and training facilities will still exist, and will the authorities want to deduct points / relegate teams or remove the golden share from multiple clubs and replace them with lower league clubs who themselves are in financial dire straits?
I think the PL are more likely to use it as an excuse for B teams.

Grendel

Fleetwood's turnover is pretty high for a club with gates of around 3k. I know they'll get other commercial income but come on.....

Fleetwood have always looked odd. A small team in a low catchment area. I would guess the way cash is injected is permitted under the EFL rules. The rules I’d have thought are pretty easy to get round

SlowerThanPlatt

The ‘little old Fleetwood’ Barton keeps peddling out that it’s an amazing achievement for Fleetwood to be competing. A poundland Neil Warnock

Flying Fokker

The points deduction should be given without exception. Rules is rules.

chiefdave

As always Scotland goes first if it’s not poll tax then smoking bans !
Situation in Scotland is predictably turning into a complete mess. If other leagues are looking at what's happening there it's more likely to put them off calling an early end to the season than anything else.

Brylowes

It’s £2500 a month isn’t it, wouldn’t think that goes far in covering footballers wages
At our level ‘never mind Championship level.

Skybluefaz

Sounds like it's unlikely we'll be able to attend games next season. End the season now on ppg, pay out prize money and start planning for a behind closed doors season so clubs can start selling virtual season tickets.

mark82

Haven't UEFA said if local federations end their leagues early they will lose their Champions League and Europa League places?

Think that's just if leagues are voided as if they didn't happen. If they finish early and crown champions, etc then I think they could still enter teams. Belgium have done it already.

Users who are viewing this thread