Season over (1 Viewer)

Otis

I just dont get it.

Gone to shit
I get it. I totally get it. Teams learned how to stifle us and we just continue to trundle along on our own merry little way.

1. We try to play through teams. The opposition have sussed this and make it very difficult to play our way through.

2. We are too lightweight in midfield. Did you see any players at all in the Rochdale side who didn't have a bit of steel about them? Maddison, Lameiras, Murphy. All too lightweight.

3. Teams now double and triple mark Armstrong. We are so, so predictable in what we do and we more often than not totally fail to support him. We were at home today and three times in the first half we had the ball just outside the Rochdale half and only Armstrong in the box. One solitary player in the box, at home!

4. Ricketts as captain. We can't drop Ricketts because he is captain. Rochdale clearly targeted him today in that first half and kept trying to get round the back of him. He's too slow and he needs resting.

5. We don't change tactics. Seems pretty clear to many that we should at least try Armstrong alongside Henderson. We need the physicality, we need the knock downs, Armstrong needs the support.

To me it seems quite clear where things are going wrong. Opposition teams know how to counter us and time and time again we have seen teams nulify us and stifle us. And to that, we seemingly have no answer!

I said we would lose today. Only way I could see anything different was if we set up differently ourselves and changed the way we play.

Thank God we've got 52 points, that's all I can say. I would be very, very worried if we had a few less and I'd be looking at the bottom of the table rather than the top.

Tuesday we HAVE to change the system!

malkitccfc

You can't say its season over, I got abuse for it midweek! I overreacted yes but genuinely can't see us turning this around.

fernandopartridge

But I have told you 2 examples of where we have got 'high' crowds and we were shocking in both games.

Are you trying to say if we got them crowds every game regardless of form we wouldn't be in a bad run of form?
No, though poor crowds = less money = poor squads. How do you think we ended up in league 1?

oscillatewildly

I am glad some of you lot aren't in the team if you think the season is over when we are in seventh. The former is dire but the season isn't over. Where were Barnsley 15 games ago? Things can still change!
Unfortunately you are very right, things will change - We won't be finishing as high as seventh!

Gazolba

probably one of the best teams in this league <snip>

Player for player, we may look good on paper but we are far away from being a team.

Otis

Yep. Look a rag bag of misfits and been so for quite some time now.

The blip was our early sesson form. Very clear now.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Hobo

No, though poor crowds = less money = poor squads. How do you think we ended up in league 1?

Both go together...poor performance's bring poor gates. We have been underachieving for a long time. Burton are getting 'historically' high attendances because they are in historic high league positions. Top 6 in League 1 just isn't for us. But 17000 is still good for this league. If we had kicked on since Burton and stayed in top 4 and in touch with top 2 I bet we would be pulling 20000 by now.

Gazolba

Tuesday we HAVE to change the system!

First, people said pick the best 11 and stick with it. That experiment failed after 2 games. Then they said go back to the successful team at the beginning of the season, well he tried that and it failed. Strengthen the defense they said and he brought in Lorentzen, Cargill and Stephens. That did not work. We need new players in the transfer window they said so he drafted in Bigi, Hunt and Ramage - all useless. Nothing seems to work. At the moment I get the feeling he is just throwing the dice before every game hoping something works. I have my ideas just like everyone else but I'm not confident anything will work.

The Reverend Skyblue

These quotes will be wheeled out this week or next, Im surprised they haven't been used by either Mowbray or that plank Anderson by now.

If I hear Mowbray say once more " they are a great bunch of lads" after yet another loss I'm going to implode. I would rather have a "bunch of nasty fuckers and everyone hates each other" that win games, than a nice bunch of lads

Roll on the summer and lovely stress free weekends spent in the garden or watching a bit of cricket.

I beginning to dread weekends and that really shouldn't happen in life.

Last edited:

Malaka

For the first time in years I had my football Mojo well and truly back. We had Armstrong banging them in for fun, there was excitement that Joe Cole, yes Joe Cole wanted to play for us. We tore Gillingham a new arsehole, went top, I honestly cant remember being so happy since 87.
Why am I so gutted? Every season, same old same old and it hurts more now. Yes I would have taken 7th with a game in hand, but this league was here for the taking. We were the best team in this league and we have squandered an excellent chance to get out of this pitiful league.
I couldn't work what we were doing wrong until today and then it clicked. Rochdale had two up front and we had six players around them. So many times our forwards were isolated.
True to form, it was always going to be too good to last, but this shit we are being served at the moment is unacceptable.
I'm heartbroken and angry with myself for believing that the tide had turned. It hasn't, we wont even get in the top ten

Gazolba

<snip>

Roll on the summer and lovely stress free weekends spent in the garden or watching a bit of cricket.

<snip>

You could always get one of those large glass bottles and make yourself a little indoor garden to tend :)

Rodders1

Shows how many games you've been or that you just don't understand football at all if you think that
Please explain mowbrays plan b.
Because some here say in comparison to last season this is an improvement.

However Mowbray himself says this squad is the most talented in the division so he simply is doing a terrible job so far.

I hope I'm wrong but a third of the season has been relegation form. That's simply not good enough.

D

Deleted member 4439

I couldn't work what we were doing wrong until today and then it clicked. Rochdale had two up front and we had six players around them. So many times our forwards were isolated.
ten

Exactly this. And yet, despite this, at times they often seemed to have an unmarked striker. Lucky to have kept the score down to 0-1 - could and should have been 0-3.

I can't bring myself to have an out and out go at TM, but there's some questionable tactics on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmmeee

We've been well and truly sussed. We're too easy to bully outnof games and our confidence players have no confidence.

Get fucking JOB back, beg for a GK, drop Ricketts, and change the system or at least have a plan B. That would be a start.

The Reverend Skyblue

That's the first thing I'd do is get JOB back.
as far as I can tell he was loaned out for showing too much passion, that sometimes upset the younger players.
fucking ridiculous decision and questions again Mowbrays decision making.

this lot need shouting at, I'd make JOB captain , showing passion is exactly what is lacking in the whole team,players and management included

Last edited:

sky_blue_up_north

Our dip in form is alarming rumour has it there is trouble at mill, and Mowbray is not a happy bunny. Would explain a lot as we go from title challengers to fodder for anyone we play... can't see where the next win is coming from.. I suffered at Barnsley and pretty I'll be doing the same at Shrewsbury sad really after the best start for years.

AFCCOVENTRY

I'm afraid the problem is with Moggas team selection and tactics. It's wrong every time.

The Mogga honeymoon period is well and truly over for a lot of fans.

Problem is even if we finish 8th this year we can't say we can build for next year! 3/4 of the current squad will vanish in summer!

robbiethemole

this is from the Walsall board

Sheffield United have 2 wins from their last 9 league games.

Southend have 2 wins from last 7 games.

Gillingham have 2 wins from last 9 games.

Coventry have 1 win from last 9 games.

over there they're kicking off worse than we are, so dont get too down hearted.

thewards5579

That's the first thing I'd do is get JOB back.
as far as I can tell he was loaned out for showing too much passion, that sometimes upset the younger players.
fucking ridiculous decision and questions again Mowbrays decision making.

this lot need shouting at, I'd make JOB captain , showing passion is exactly what is lacking in the whole team,players and management included
Jim dont like Mowbray
So could a new manager get Job back and revitalise the team?

Sent from my Harrier Mini from EE using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

I was still believing but after seeing that yesterday - I've given up all hope of a top 6 finish. The players keep saying 'we'll show how angry we are in our next game' then just play exactly the same as the game before.

Only player who can come out of the game with any credit is Jack Stephens.

Otis

this is from the Walsall board

Sheffield United have 2 wins from their last 9 league games.

Southend have 2 wins from last 7 games.

Gillingham have 2 wins from last 9 games.

Coventry have 1 win from last 9 games.

over there they're kicking off worse than we are, so dont get too down hearted.
Big difference though.

Walsall are 7 points clear of 7th place, so still in an excellent position for the play-offs.

Walsall are only 5 points behind 2nd place, with a game in hand, and therefore have a reasonable chance of automatic promotion.

We on the other hand, have just dropped out of the top 6 and are 12 points behind 2nd place and therefore have all but no chance of automatic promotion.

I for one know which tale of woe is by far the worst.

Covstu

We just seem to be a different team in 2016, devoid of speed, attacking play and flair. No real options on the bench and TM has his favourites which are not making a difference. Some recent bizarre loan signings which are just here to pasture. Another clear out next season and back to our kids until we sign a rake load of new loanees

Otis

We are still the same team, Stu. It is the opposition that have looked at the way we play and come up with a game plan to stifle us.

And that's the problem. We ARE still the same team, still playing the same way.

We try and play through teams down the middle and very rarely get wide. This makes it easy to defend against.

Teams have double marked Armstrong out games.

Teams have identified that in Maddison, Lameiras and Murphy, we have three very lightweight attacking midfielders and the opposition have learnt to out muscle them or kick them out of the game. It is so, so noticeable now that Maddison in particular is mugged team tag style. Never seems to be the same player kicking him, they take it turns and therefore avoid bookings.

The opposition have changed their game plans, we have not.

Start of the season Armstrong was an unknown, as was Lameiras and pretty much Maddison too.

Opposition managers studied the way we played and countered it and we have found no counter to that counteraction.

It's not a head scratcher at all when you think about it.

Covstu

We are still the same team, Stu. It is the opposition that have looked at the way we play and come up with a game plan to stifle us.

We try and play through teams down the middle and very rarely get wide. This makes it easy to defend against.

Teams have identified that in Maddison, Lameiras and Murphy, we have three very lightweight attacking midfielders and the opposition have learnt to out muscle them or kick them out of the game. It is so, so noticeable now that Maddison in particular is mugged team tag style. Never seems to be the same player kicking him, they take it turns and therefore avoid bookings.

Start of the season Armstrong was an unknown, as was Lameiras and pretty much Maddison too.

Opposition managers studied the way we played and countered it and we have found no counter to that counteraction.

But we are not really, Kent went back which has had an impact, we replaced our back two and we change the line up every week. We need continuity which just hasn't happened. These guys don't know each other!

Nick

Administrator

The majority of the time maddison isn't actually kicked though...

Users who are viewing this thread