Running (2 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did the last run on week 2 of couch to 5k had one walk half way through

Sick Boy

Just got through my first half-marathon absolutely crawled home. Came in under 3 hours though which I'm happy with.
I’m doing my first in November and then another in February. When I run that distance now I find around the 18km mark is where I have to dig deep to finish - no idea how people do marathons…though I expect it’ll be the next challenge I set myself!

Last edited:

Skybluefaz

I’m doing my first in November and then another in February. When I run that distance now I find around the 18km mark is where I have to dig deep to finish - no idea how people do marathons…though I expect it’ll be the next challenge I set myself!
Yeah it was 10 miles where it got really tough. There were times where my legs felt like jelly. I shouldn't have attempted it for another 8 weeks really but got bored and wanted to push myself.

My focus now is to just get the 5k time down carry on training and losing weight then I'll do the rescheduled draycote half in March and hopefully come in under 2 1/2 hours.

Sick Boy

Yeah it was 10 miles where it got really tough. There were times where my legs felt like jelly. I shouldn't have attempted it for another 8 weeks really but got bored and wanted to push myself.

My focus now is to just get the 5k time down carry on training and losing weight then I'll do the rescheduled draycote half in March and hopefully come in under 2 1/2 hours.
Good on you for doing it. I do think a lot of it comes from your mindset before the run.

Travs

Did the parkrun at Warwick Racecourse this morning.

18:37 which considering the heat was very pleasing.

5th... most pleasing aspect for me was i was being chased hard by about 5 runners at halfway, but despite the conditions held my pace for the 2nd half, and finished well ahead of them.

Travs

Yes it started a few weeks ago. They had asked that only the invited "trial runners" attend for 6 weeks or so, to give the inexperienced organisers a chance to get used to it.... however word seems to have gotten out and i think general public are turning up now.

I think the majority of the course is on grass, although from what i remember of Holbrooks Park its going to be a pretty flat course.

I think Northbrook AC are heavily involved in the organisation, so Rich of this parish probably knows a lot more about it.

DawlishSkyBlue

Exeter track session last night....

Warm up mile
4 x 400m hard with 400m jog off
Recover
1 km hard (3 mins 25)
Recover
4 x 400m hard with 60s recover
Cool down

Have got a vague ambition of running a mile in under 5 mins before I'm 50 in 18 months but I'm a million miles away from being close to that right now

Travs

What sort of times were your 400's?

Your km rep isn't far off mine, and i'd be on the fringes of a sub 5min mile.

I've done a 4:45 1500mtr track race which is about 5:05 pace for a mile, and i'd be doing "hard" km reps in around 3:18-3:20.

So on some fag-packet calcs you might be currently about 10-15secs away from your target.

It doesn't sound a lot, but as you rightly say, its still a fair bit to chip off... somewhere between 2-4secs/lap.

DawlishSkyBlue

What sort of times were your 400's?

Your km rep isn't far off mine, and i'd be on the fringes of a sub 5min mile.

I've done a 4:45 1500mtr track race which is about 5:05 pace for a mile, and i'd be doing "hard" km reps in around 3:18-3:20.

So on some fag-packet calcs you might be currently about 10-15secs away from your target.

It doesn't sound a lot, but as you rightly say, its still a fair bit to chip off... somewhere between 2-4secs/lap.
I wrote hard but they wernt all out....were probably averaging about 1 min 22 and for 5 minute mile need to be about 1 min 14. I can do a 400 in 74 seconds no worries but putting 4 of them together is the challenge!

The km was meant to be a mile effort but didn't feel strong enough so cut it off and will have another go next week

Travs

Club night at Godiva and we had 8 x 1 minute efforts, with 30 second recoveries.

Doesn't sound much, but the effort pace is quick, and the recoveries just about leave enough time to regain control of pulse/breath.... (by the later reps i was taking around 20secs to regain composure, leaving 10secs to prepare for the next rep).

8 miles for the session, on top of 4 miles AM.

We've now got our training programmes to take us up to the end of November.... every 3rd week we'll be doing a 3 session week.... the 3rd session of the week being Cov Parkrun followed immediately by hill sprints.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did a 5k today rather then the 4th week on couch to5k , took it nice and steady 31 mins 12 seconds happy enough with that . Gonna increase it every week and aim for my old 5mile route for half term,

Sick Boy

Ran 10km on Brighton seafront yesterday (wearing a City shirt) and went by a Villa fan - I booed him and he asked what club’s shirt I was wearing - wanker.

Travs

Did Bedworth Parkrun this morning.

It was a bit of a spur of the moment thing, and off the back off two tough sessions this week i wasn't expecting great things.... so fairly content with 19:08 and 4th place.

Much cooler than last weekend at Warwick which helped a lot.

DawlishSkyBlue

Did Bedworth Parkrun this morning.

It was a bit of a spur of the moment thing, and off the back off two tough sessions this week i wasn't expecting great things.... so fairly content with 19:08 and 4th place.

Much cooler than last weekend at Warwick which helped a lot.
Nice. Bedworth Parkrun is a bit lumpy from memory.

Did Teignmouth Parkrun this morning in old skool City home top (Cassidy Group sponsor 2007??).

6th place and 18.59 on my watch but I bet the result gives it 19.01 or something

Travs

Nice one.

Yes Bedworth has an off-road section with a couple of hairpins and it was decidedly slippy this morning, and a couple of stiff hills.

Although the hills slowed me down, they helped me keep hold of 4th place as a youth from Nun Harriers was chasing me down, but my strength on the hills allowed me to see him off by a few seconds.

Travs

Last night was our final grass session of the year. 3 x 1 mile cross-country reps with about a minute jog recovery.

Saturday is the Midlands 6 Stage Road Relays at Sutton Coldfield. Need to finish in the top 25 to qualify for the National a fortnight later at the same venue.

I'm running 4th leg for our 2nd team.... looks like a strong team and i'm considerably the weakest runner on paper.... we may have a chance of getting two teams into the National which would be a good achievement. Our first team should really be battling in the top 5-8 places with the best of the Midlands, then its a shootout between the other clubs and the 2nd teams from the likes of Notts AC, Birchfield, Tipton, Bristol, Western Tempo, Us, for the other spots.

Travs

Midlands 6 Stage Road Relays today at Sutton Park.

For me it was very pleasing. Ran 21:48 for just under 6km which was a pb on that course by 55 seconds.

Went through 5km in 18:34 which was again very pleasing as it is a hilly course.

Our first team were a bit below par today and came in 13th.

My B team usually have the aim of trying to be the 2nd best Cov team, behind our firsts.... this year we got pipped by Sphinx's first team who passed our guy on the final leg.

Rugby & Northampton 6th
Cov Godiva 13th
Leamington 19th
Sphinx 43rd
Cov Godiva B 47th
Northbrook 58th
Nuneaton Harriers fielded at veterans team and came a fantastic 10th in that race, and would have been 59th in the main race.
Kenilworth 71st
Massey Ferguson 72nd

Unfortunately this year i paid little attention to the women's race, as neither ourselves nor Nuneaton fielded a team, so there was little local interest for me.

Travs

Mile reps in the Warwick Uni campus last night.

2 x hard miles with a recovery mile in between.

5:27
5:29

With middle mile 8:30

Sky_Blue_Daz

Had a follow up appointment with my surgeon yesterday, he said my ankle is absolutely fine. I did the rehab and recovery perfectly so bit the bullet this morning and did a 5 mile run. There’s a 10k at the memorial park in November I’ve got my eye on as well .

Travs

Hill session last night, on the hill that runs up to the Medical Block at Warwick Uni.

As hills are somewhat my speciality, i made a valiant effort to stick to the faster guys for the session. This worked to a point, but i dropped off the pace for the final 3 reps (of 11)

9 miles for the session, on top of 4 easy miles AM.

Tomorrow morning we've got Cov Parkrun followed immediately by another hill-rep session on the grass. Will be a good tester.

Travs

Good going, well done on the pb.

Its amazing the variation in parkruns in a small area...... if i'd gone to Bedworth today i'd have won by over a minute.... at Cov i was 17th.

Was just pleased to run a satisfactory time straight off the back of a hard week..... (race last saturday, two midweek sessions, 12 miles yesterday).

Got a 10 mile road race in 7 weeks which is my main aim this side of xmas. Hoping to get somewhere close to 62mins.

DawlishSkyBlue

Good going, well done on the pb.

Its amazing the variation in parkruns in a small area...... if i'd gone to Bedworth today i'd have won by over a minute.... at Cov i was 17th.

Was just pleased to run a satisfactory time straight off the back of a hard week..... (race last saturday, two midweek sessions, 12 miles yesterday).

Got a 10 mile road race in 7 weeks which is my main aim this side of xmas. Hoping to get somewhere close to 62mins.
Thanks. I still hold out hope of coming 1st one week; have had a distant 2nd and a couple of 3rd places. Reckon the best chances are a cold wet winter parkrun when there's a big local race on the Sunday.

Where is your 10 mile race?

Travs

1st time i ever did Bedworth Parkrun i was winning by a mile.... but i didn't know the trail section and there was no marshall at the turn.... ended up out on Cov Rd by the Black Bank pub.... got back on the course and ended up 2nd or 3rd.

10 miler is Brampton-Carlisle.... its one of the fastest 10 miles in the country, in fact i think its actually got a nett downhill of about 100ft. Its a linear route, the only issue is if there's a headwind then its with you for the whole race.

I ran 64:20 there a couple of years ago, which is bang on 20min/5km pace.... hoping i can sustain something more like 19:10-19:30/5km pace which would see me somewhere in the 62's

DawlishSkyBlue

3rd at Teignmouth Parkrun today in the red/black halved away top. Was neck and neck with the leader til halfway point; he kicked on and I couldn't stay with him

Users who are viewing this thread