Running (6 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

I've been considering the Manchester half as well but saved myself £60 on Friday night.
It's a bit of a non-descript route really, should be called the Trafford Park marathon. My missus did it a few years ago where it went up Eastlands and back down and over Mancunian Way and ended on Deansgate, much more interesting.

SkyBlueSoul

Just looked and they've closed entries in the last couple of days anyway, 1000 final entry places to be released at a later date. It seems they pride themselves on having the "flattest and fastest" route. Turns out both go past the end of my road towards the end.

Travs

Raced in the English Fell Champs yesterday, in Weardale, Co Durham.

A straight out thrash from the village up to the summit of the nearest mountain and back down.

Although it wasn't quite as simple as it sounds... the weather was absolutely rancid all weekend, so along with absolutely zero visibility, the tussocky, peaty terrain underfoot was absolutely sodden, making it difficult to get any kind of decent foothold, either up or down. Its not a sharp peak either, so actually finding the summit was quite difficult as well.... i had reccied the best route the day before, but wasn't confident to strike out that way on my own in such poor visibility..... i felt quite justified when i found out that one of the pre-race favourites, who i bumped into on the saturday also reccying the route, got lost on the way up whilst in the lead, couldn't find the summit, and ended up retiring.

Needed to finish in the top 40 to score points in the v40 category.... and i finished.... 41st..... missed by a single place and 11 seconds. 53066666854_75168ac1ca_o.jpg

fernandopartridge

Raced in the English Fell Champs yesterday, in Weardale, Co Durham.

A straight out thrash from the village up to the summit of the nearest mountain and back down.

Although it wasn't quite as simple as it sounds... the weather was absolutely rancid all weekend, so along with absolutely zero visibility, the tussocky, peaty terrain underfoot was absolutely sodden, making it difficult to get any kind of decent foothold, either up or down. Its not a sharp peak either, so actually finding the summit was quite difficult as well.... i had reccied the best route the day before, but wasn't confident to strike out that way on my own in such poor visibility..... i felt quite justified when i found out that one of the pre-race favourites, who i bumped into on the saturday also reccying the route, got lost on the way up whilst in the lead, couldn't find the summit, and ended up retiring.

Needed to finish in the top 40 to score points in the v40 category.... and i finished.... 41st..... missed by a single place and 11 seconds.View attachment 30855
Unlucky. You'd never say that picture was taken in July would you?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Travs

You would not.... you do get prepared for unseasonable weather when racing on the fells.... but as mid-summer races go, it was a poor one for weather!

Travs

Back to proper training last night.

A track session on a very warm evening, 26deg as the session started.

10 x 300mtrs, with 100mtrs jog recoveries.

My target set by the coach was 53secs, which i've (just about) managed earlier in the summer, although not quite being 100% recovered from sunday, i thought might be a stiff task.

53, 54, 53, 54, 54, 54, 53, 56, 58, 56

Was pretty pleased to get 7 reps in consistently, and then to stage a mini-fightback on the final rep, when everything was telling me to jack the session in and have a lie down instead.

I kept a vague eye on my heart rate during the recoveries.... for the first 5 reps i was easily in aerobic zone.... but between the 5th-7th rep there was a massive jump and was unable to recover sufficiently during the short recovery period.... so it was no surprise that it was only a matter of time before my legs succumbed to the lactic build up.

SkyBlueSoul

Feel like I'm back to somewhere near my peak of 18 months ago. 4 days rest after the half marathon, then ran 6.5km to football and played for an hour without feeling too tired (normally need 10 minutes in goal to have a breather).

Really need to work on my stretching though, always something I've neglected. Getting quite bad lower back pain which I'm sure is due to tight thighs, hips, hamstrings etc.

Travs

15.5 miles at around 7:20/mile pace yesterday.

Out from Bedworth, up Black Horse Rd and onto the Canal at The Greyhound. Steady down the canal, dodging Rats, Pigeons and Squirrels, saw me at the canal basin in 55mins.

Through the centre, out past the station, down Spencer Ave into Earlsdon, and back into the centre past the Butts, then back down Foleshill/Lockhurst/Holbrook Lanes to Bedworth.

Perfect weather for running, warm enough for a vest, but not too much of a sweat on.

DawlishSkyBlue

15.5 miles at around 7:20/mile pace yesterday.

Out from Bedworth, up Black Horse Rd and onto the Canal at The Greyhound. Steady down the canal, dodging Rats, Pigeons and Squirrels, saw me at the canal basin in 55mins.

Through the centre, out past the station, down Spencer Ave into Earlsdon, and back into the centre past the Butts, then back down Foleshill/Lockhurst/Holbrook Lanes to Bedworth.

Perfect weather for running, warm enough for a vest, but not too much of a sweat on.
I used to enjoy running along the canal when I lived in Longford. Some nice runs on the footpath heading out to Ansty or Nuneaton

Travs

I used to enjoy running along the canal when I lived in Longford. Some nice runs on the footpath heading out to Ansty or Nuneaton

Issue with those directions for me is the path deteriorates the further you get away from Cov.... i remember trying to cycle along there to Rugby once which was a disaster, ended up chucking my bike on the train at Rugby to get back home.

The towpath within Cov is pretty good although a bit overgrown with nettles etc at this time of year.

For off-road stuff round here i've got a great 12 mile route that follows the footpath alongside the M6 to Corley Services, then out to Fillongley, Breach Oak, Astley.... also know a few of the Nuneaton Harriers guys do a similar cross-country route round Bulkington/Ansty.

DawlishSkyBlue

Issue with those directions for me is the path deteriorates the further you get away from Cov.... i remember trying to cycle along there to Rugby once which was a disaster, ended up chucking my bike on the train at Rugby to get back home.

The towpath within Cov is pretty good although a bit overgrown with nettles etc at this time of year.

For off-road stuff round here i've got a great 12 mile route that follows the footpath alongside the M6 to Corley Services, then out to Fillongley, Breach Oak, Astley.... also know a few of the Nuneaton Harriers guys do a similar cross-country route round Bulkington/Ansty.
Nice, will have a look at that. Usually try and sneak a run in when we come back to Cov. Are you on Strava?

Travs

Nice, will have a look at that. Usually try and sneak a run in when we come back to Cov. Are you on Strava?

No Strava for me.... strictly a pen and paper guy!! Probably the only person in Cov Godiva who doesn't use Strava....!

Happy to expand on any routes on here or PM, or meet up for a run if wanted....

DawlishSkyBlue

No Strava for me.... strictly a pen and paper guy!! Probably the only person in Cov Godiva who doesn't use Strava....!

Happy to expand on any routes on here or PM, or meet up for a run if wanted....
Old school, fair play. Will shout out on here if I can get out for a run when I'm in Cov

DawlishSkyBlue

Running off the holiday beer belly i did 11 miles home from work today.

5 miles easy
5 x 1km with 3 mins easy recovery
1 mile cool down

Kms were 3.41, 3.40, 3.41, 3.40, 3.47

Headwind the whole way as per!

Travs

We were on the grass at Warwick Uni last night...

8 x 1 minute reps with 3 minute recoveries.

The 1 minutes were 30secs quality, 20secs harder, 10secs max.

My increase from quality up to hard pace was at least vaguely visible... but from hard to max was barely noticeable even to me.

9.5 miles on top of 4 miles AM

400mtr reps on the track on thursday.

DawlishSkyBlue

We were on the grass at Warwick Uni last night...

8 x 1 minute reps with 3 minute recoveries.

The 1 minutes were 30secs quality, 20secs harder, 10secs max.

My increase from quality up to hard pace was at least vaguely visible... but from hard to max was barely noticeable even to me.

9.5 miles on top of 4 miles AM

400mtr reps on the track on thursday.
I did 8x400 on the sea wall last night with 400 recoveries.

82 secs, 80, 82, 80, 80, 86, 83, 88

Enjoying my intervals at the minute, not got any races booked or planned even; just enjoying the workouts

Travs

Yes 400's are a good marker of where you are.... simple session, no need to over-complicate it.

I didn't manage the 400mtr session on thursday, a combination of family-crisis, mum's 70th birthday, and a trip to London...... so did a hill session on treadmill instead.

My scribbled records tell me that last time i did 400's i was doing 72-75secs per rep, although apparently i only did 5 reps as i was "coming back from hamstring soreness"......... (not that i'd get under 72 when fresh anyway)

Skybluefaz

Took 10 minutes off my park run pb yesterday. Actually managed a pace I could maintain comfortably and ran for the majority. I'm still at a high weight low level of fitness but the progress yesterday was a massive boost and incentive to keep going.
Put in my longest run to date today. 7.5 miles. Signed up for the draycote half marathon in November. My weight is still high although I'm 2 1/2 stone down on the start of the year now so things are getting easier.

Sky_Blue_Daz

started the couch to 5k tonight, no running for almost 3 months and a 2 week all inclusive holiday has seen the weight creep up .Enjoyed it going to stick with it for a week or 2 and then just try to do it without the walking

Sky_Blue_Daz

Put in my longest run to date today. 7.5 miles. Signed up for the draycote half marathon in November. My weight is still high although I'm 2 1/2 stone down on the start of the year now so things are getting easier.
Fair play mate I did the draycote 10k a while ago it’s a nice route

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did the second run on the couch to 5k last night missed out a couple of the walking sessions and ran instead , ankle is a bit stiff and sore today but I think thats more to do with not doing anything for 3 months

Ccfcisparks

Did the second run on the couch to 5k last night missed out a couple of the walking sessions and ran instead , ankle is a bit stiff and sore today but I think thats more to do with not doing anything for 3 months
Get some ice on your ankle. Its helped massively with my recovery, particularly on the ankle that I broke.

Travs

I went down to Bedworth Park last night with a bit of chalk and marked out a mile on the parkrun course.

4 x 1 mile with approx half mile recovery jog to take me back round to the start line.

5:42
5:44
5:43
5:49

Didn't have a planned quantity of reps before i started... just intended to keep going until the quality dropped... expected somewhere between 3 and 6, secretly hoped for 5.

What was pleasing was the pace i maintained whilst running relaxed throughout (most) of each rep.... also quite content with the times given its not an easy mile, plenty of twists and turns, and people/dogs to avoid.

Booked an hour on the track at Pingles saturday morning, and will either do 800mtr reps, or possibly a straight 10km effort somewhere hopefully just below 40mins.

DawlishSkyBlue

I went down to Bedworth Park last night with a bit of chalk and marked out a mile on the parkrun course.

4 x 1 mile with approx half mile recovery jog to take me back round to the start line.

5:42
5:44
5:43
5:49

Didn't have a planned quantity of reps before i started... just intended to keep going until the quality dropped... expected somewhere between 3 and 6, secretly hoped for 5.

What was pleasing was the pace i maintained whilst running relaxed throughout (most) of each rep.... also quite content with the times given its not an easy mile, plenty of twists and turns, and people/dogs to avoid.

Booked an hour on the track at Pingles saturday morning, and will either do 800mtr reps, or possibly a straight 10km effort somewhere hopefully just below 40mins.
Nice. Doing mile reps comfortably that pace I would think a 40 min 10k would be too easy for you?

Travs

Session on the track this morning at Pingles.

Didn't do the full planned 10km effort.... stopped at 8km with 31.06 on the clock.

8.5 miles in total for the session including warmup/down.

Users who are viewing this thread