Rumours over the years (1 Viewer)

Malaka

I thought I would try and cheer things up. We all know someone who knows someone. I am interested to hear the rumours that you have heard over the years. Here are a couple that I heard

the Sultan of Brunei' s daughter was a student at Warwick uni in the late seventies early eighties and the Sultan attended a match at Highfield Rd with a view to buying us. Apparently there was a demonstration on the pitch 'sack the board' and he felt that he could not invest as that sort of behaviour would damage his royal image.

i also heard that Kenny Dalglish was nailed on to be our manager a short while after He went from Blackburn.

do you have anything as dream like as those?

pusbccfc

Joe Cole on loan was a personal favourite.

LB87ccfc

I heard a rumour SISU where going to open their chequebook after building the new glitzy Sky Blue Army Arena with re-tractable roof and free beer for all fans, and invest £50m over 3 years into the playing squad, after reaching the promised land of the premier league resulting in them re-couping their initial investment for their shareholders, they would continue to have open dialogue and run events polls of who we wish to sign in the next transfer window, before selling us on to a Russian oil tycoon who would take us to the next level and battle for the top 4.

Oh sorry you said rumour not dream.

LB87ccfc

Rumour we turned down Van Nisterroy at £2m whilst he was younger before his move to UTD was a classic, with the reason being we had Whelan Huckerby Dublin at the time so he would struggle to get in the team.

skybluejelly

We would have been the first club to pay over a million pounds for a player.. But Trevor Francis chose forest instead of us as they had a better Chance of silverware

Otis

I think the maddest, craziest rumour I have ever heard is that of Sisu apparently building a new stadium.

Still has me in stitches and rolling around on the floor in hysterics to this very day.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Colonel Mustard

Nothing beats the Phil Masinga sighting at KFC.

I think the Gekoski book mentioned the club had tabs on a young Henry and Trezeguet.

Not rumours but fact: the club were on the brink of signing Lee Bowyer, Neil Lennon and Chris Coleman, but all were pinched by other teams at the last minute. Shame, all would have been good signings.

Last edited:

Astute

There was that very tall player who was supposed to be very good that we were signing a couple of years ago. Some of our supporters were getting excited......then we found out that it was just a wind up and no such person existed :D

skybluetony176

There was the David Kolidysky signing from Rugby Town rumour last season started by his mates on facebook.

Mind you, he'd probably get a start now if he did sign.

mrtrench

Believe we turned a young Kevin Keegan down because he was too short. We told him he'd never make it in football.

Nonleagueherewecome

Nothing beats the Phil Masinga sighting at KFC.

I think the Gekoski book mentioned the club had tabs on a young Henry and Trezeguet.

Not rumours but fact: the club were on the brink of signing Lee Bowyer, Neil Lennon and Chris Coleman, but all were pinched by other teams at the last minute. Shame, all would have been good signings.

Yes, I remember those. Although it was Riise at the same time as Trezeguet, not Henry. Lennon really hacked me off as it happened when I was following Reading when at Uni, too. Giovanni van Brockhorst was another we were meant to be close to signing but he went to Rangers instead.

dongonzalos

I heard a rumour on here a few years ago that SISU were intentionally not paying the rent to distress ACL in order to pick ACL up on the cheap. Think the same person who posted the rumour alluded that low crowds at the Ricoh may have helped with this aim as it was less profit for ACL from F&B.

Think the person was laughed out of town and called a conspiracy theorist and delusional.............

Grendel

Someone once posted a rumour that Andy Thorn was a football manager.

bringbackrattles

When Bale was at Southampton it was rumoured he was coming to us on loan and Walcott too got mentioned also.
Trevor Francis was about to sign but Cloughie came calling so put a stop to him becoming our player. And Eddie Jordan from the motor racing scene said he was a City fan but then denied it !

Otis

There was that very tall player who was supposed to be very good that we were signing a couple of years ago. Some of our supporters were getting excited......then we found out that it was just a wind up and no such person existed :D

You're wrong. I'm sure there are tall players.

What about Peter Crouch for starters!! Clive Platt is quite tall too and Zigic at Birmingham. :whistle:

ollyservetta

I thought I would try and cheer things up. We all know someone who knows someone. I am interested to hear the rumours that you have heard over the years. Here are a couple that I heard

the Sultan of Brunei' s daughter was a student at Warwick uni in the late seventies early eighties and the Sultan attended a match at Highfield Rd with a view to buying us. Apparently there was a demonstration on the pitch 'sack the board' and he felt that he could not invest as that sort of behaviour would damage his royal image.,,,,,,,,,,,There was something like this tho , some arabs were over looking at investing /buying us ,as I remember it was a night game and all hell broke out when it was revealed terry butcher was commenting from the ground for the radio .

i also heard that Kenny Dalglish was nailed on to be our manager a short while after He went from Blackburn.

do you have anything as dream like as those?

I once heard from a mate (an Everton fan)that as part of the Robbie Keane deal CCFC were going to get Ronaldo on loan as part of his rehab from his knee problem. I couldn't stop laughing!

Grendel

Has anyone mentioned Joe Cole yet?

covboy1987

Rumour that does not seem to go away is that Ray Ranson and consortium has had something to do with Wasps moving to the ricoh and that wasps 'consortium will then purchase CCTV at some point - how and when is unclear

SkyBlue_Bear83

Rumour that does not seem to go away is that Ray Ranson and consortium has had something to do with Wasps moving to the ricoh and that wasps 'consortium will then purchase CCTV at some point - how and when is unclear

What will they do with this CCTV footage?

edgy

Rumour we turned down Van Nisterroy at £2m whilst he was younger before his move to UTD was a classic, with the reason being we had Whelan Huckerby Dublin at the time so he would struggle to get in the team.

I think that RVN thing was confirmed as true.

oscillatewildly

We were favourites to sign Brian Kidd @ 1970/71 when he was getting disgruntled with things at manure. If this had been a rumour I would have laughed it off, but it's absolutely true! Somebody recently gave me an old copy of the daily mail which had been lining a relatives set of drawers and in black and white the story is revealed. In fact, the suggestion is more or less that the signing is 'imminent'.
Most of us are familiar with the KK, BC, Steve Heighway while studying at Warwick uni being turned down after a trial, rumours, but before being given the paper, I had never previously heard anyone talk about this one.

SkyBlue_Bear83

[h=2]COVENTRY City tried to buy Man United striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy in 1997, Sky Blue coach Ray Clarke has revealed....[/h]

COVENTRY City tried to buy Man United striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy in 1997, Sky Blue coach Ray Clarke has revealed.
And in his former guise as the club's European scout, Clarke also tried to sign Thierry Henry, Mario Melchiot and Boudewijn Zenden.
Speaking on the www.ccfc.co.uk website, Clarke said: "We tried to buy Van Nistelrooy four years ago.
"I watched him as a 20-year-old and recommended him to the club. Unfortunately we could not clinch the deal and now he has joined Manchester United for #24 million.
"I spotted Henry as a 20-year-old playing for a French second division club and I tracked him. Gordon Strachan went over to watch him, but we could not do the deal and he is now at Arsenal.
"Bear in mind we were watching all these players when they were youngsters and had not attracted the attention of the top clubs."
Zenden, Melchiot, Freddie Ljungberg and Erik Bakke were also targets that never bore fruit for City as Clarke scoured the whole of Europe searching for talent that, at the time, would befit the Premiership.
He was recalled to England in the summer and is now helping Roland Nilsson and Richard Money run team affairs since the departure of Strachan.
Clarke said: "I will do whatever I can to help the club. Everyone here must put their shoulders to the wheel to support Roland in any way they can."

And

Gordon Strachan has revealed Coventry City were once in the running to sign Italian legend Andrea Pirlo as a youngster.
In a tweet from the Strachan Football Foundation, the Scotland boss said: "When I was manager of Coventry I met up with Andrea Pirlo's agent to bring him to the club when he was a youth team striker"
Pirlo went on to become a stalwart of AC Milan side of the 2000s as a deep-lying playmaker before making the switch to Juventus in 2011.
He has made 101 appearances for his country and was one of the stand-out stars of Euro 2012, where he scored an audacious chipped penalty against England in a shoot-out.

Users who are viewing this thread