Rumours over the years (1 Viewer)

Malaka

COVENTRY City tried to buy Man United striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy in 1997, Sky Blue coach Ray Clarke has revealed....

COVENTRY City tried to buy Man United striker Ruud Van Nistelrooy in 1997, Sky Blue coach Ray Clarke has revealed.
And in his former guise as the club's European scout, Clarke also tried to sign Thierry Henry, Mario Melchiot and Boudewijn Zenden.
Speaking on the www.ccfc.co.uk website, Clarke said: "We tried to buy Van Nistelrooy four years ago.
"I watched him as a 20-year-old and recommended him to the club. Unfortunately we could not clinch the deal and now he has joined Manchester United for #24 million.
"I spotted Henry as a 20-year-old playing for a French second division club and I tracked him. Gordon Strachan went over to watch him, but we could not do the deal and he is now at Arsenal.
"Bear in mind we were watching all these players when they were youngsters and had not attracted the attention of the top clubs."
Zenden, Melchiot, Freddie Ljungberg and Erik Bakke were also targets that never bore fruit for City as Clarke scoured the whole of Europe searching for talent that, at the time, would befit the Premiership.
He was recalled to England in the summer and is now helping Roland Nilsson and Richard Money run team affairs since the departure of Strachan.
Clarke said: "I will do whatever I can to help the club. Everyone here must put their shoulders to the wheel to support Roland in any way they can."

And

Gordon Strachan has revealed Coventry City were once in the running to sign Italian legend Andrea Pirlo as a youngster.
In a tweet from the Strachan Football Foundation, the Scotland boss said: "When I was manager of Coventry I met up with Andrea Pirlo's agent to bring him to the club when he was a youth team striker"
Pirlo went on to become a stalwart of AC Milan side of the 2000s as a deep-lying playmaker before making the switch to Juventus in 2011.
He has made 101 appearances for his country and was one of the stand-out stars of Euro 2012, where he scored an audacious chipped penalty against England in a shoot-out.

These rumors hurt the most

CovLis86

There was some rumour the other year about Andy Carroll wasnt there. Cant remember who the other one was.

torchomatic

Nailing Kelly Dalglish. Now there's a thought. Oh, sorry you said Kenny.

I thought I would try and cheer things up. We all know someone who knows someone. I am interested to hear the rumours that you have heard over the years. Here are a couple that I heard

the Sultan of Brunei' s daughter was a student at Warwick uni in the late seventies early eighties and the Sultan attended a match at Highfield Rd with a view to buying us. Apparently there was a demonstration on the pitch 'sack the board' and he felt that he could not invest as that sort of behaviour would damage his royal image.

i also heard that Kenny Dalglish was nailed on to be our manager a short while after He went from Blackburn.

do you have anything as dream like as those?

Last edited:

SkyBlueM

Not read all the thread so don't know if it was mentioned but I heard once that Eddie Jordan was interested in investing in the club but Richardson basically told hm where to go so he went and invested in Man U.

shy_tall_knight

Cyrille Regis fighting in Park Lane with a young lad (but very hard) regarding Cyrille's affair with his mum. Robbie Keane getting a slap off a bouncer concerning his infidelity. Our current strikers can't score on the pitch , these 2 could do it an and off the pitch.

Gazolba

There was a virulent rumor on here that SP's sacking was imminent. Many expected it 'the next morning'.

shy_tall_knight

Eric Black had identified Kevin Doyle as a striker for the following season, MCGin & Co hadn't heard of him and this encouraged the appointment of Monkey Reid to bring us instant success with players like Neil Wood

Brighton Sky Blue

Eric Black had identified Kevin Doyle as a striker for the following season, MCGin & Co hadn't heard of him and this encouraged the appointment of Monkey Reid to bring us instant success with players like Neil Wood

And Tim 'I heard the lads played well' Sherwood.

letsallsingtogether

I heard Sisu were putting in a bid for 50% of the Ricoh and then building a new stadium at the same time :laugh:

We could have been the first club to own one and a half stadiums moving from one to the other as the rent got too expensive.:thinking about:

Users who are viewing this thread