Robins era best signing (2 Viewers)

pipkin73

I think that is forgotten where we could have been but for that we squeezed out of division 2 sold McNulty for big bucks for us and used a lot of it to help create what we have now and where we are. Our owner wouldn’t have given a shit where we might have been, don’t forget that.
Apart from the owner bit agree 100% not getting in to that conversation.

KG7

Bayliss and Shipley weren’t signings though…

And Bayliss was absolutely key in getting us out of league two. He basically gave us the thrust we were missing after Jones got injured, without him, McNulty and Doyle we may never have got up that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipkin73

Bayliss and Shipley weren’t signings though…

And Bayliss was absolutely key in getting us out of league two. He basically gave us the thrust we were missing after Jones got injured, without him, McNulty and Doyle we may never have got up that year.

À couple of you are saying Baylis done well (rember no one mentioned him till I did) if he done better than I remember then great, hope he gets it back and has a brilliant career.

Reactions: KG7

KG7

À couple of you are saying Baylis done well (rember no one mentioned him till I did) if he done better than I remember then great, hope he gets it back and has a brilliant career.

I would def have mentioned him as a key player, but the thread is about signings, so I didn’t.

Londonccfcfan

I think it can be argued Grimmer had as much or more influence than Bayliss. When you consider he played most games And he was a big upgrade on previous Right backs.

higgs

,Doyle with his winning mentality for me was key in stopping our slide. He was a leader on and off the pitch the passion he showed rubbed off on others. You could see what it meant to him getting promoted. He hadn't the legs for league 1 the next season

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ptr

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Different era slightly but Did MR sign Eddie Mcgoldrick? If only we had kept him?

Said this many times Michael Doyle was truly invaluable. Let's hope however it turns out the new Swedish wondorboy Viktor is the best signing.

KG7

I think it can be argued Grimmer had as much or more influence than Bayliss. When you consider he played most games And he was a big upgrade on previous Right backs.

Grimmer was poor IMO. Couldn’t pass and shirked his tackles.

Skybluebeliever

Kelly not for what he has done on the pitch but what he has done off it , MR relies on him a lot to keep the unit tight and be his voice in the dressing room with fadz as his number two , I’m afraid Doyle was fantastic on the pitch a leader etc but was not as great in the dressing room etc as Kelly has been

usskyblue

Grimmer was poor IMO. Couldn’t pass and shirked his tackles.

Yeah m8 … but

3248.jpg

Yz9zH0epaGqrCGVQ1XR2sYXyvrhtvJfeqtGVqgOQOi0RP3SnZsO5Pur_h4zcycID1JTNTn0

ptr

A very good question and I wouldn’t argue with any of those on the list being named as the best signing.

I will go with Kelly/Doyle. For the first time in years, we actually controlled a game from the midfield. They added bite and let the better players around them play. Their experience started the fight back that gives us the platform we play at today.

Mr Panda

Kelly or Hyam for me due to their abilities they have carried forward to this level. My argument in another thread is that Kelly is coming to a bit of a conclusion with regards to his on field abilities. Hyam I think can be a success at this level so he's my pick

League Two > Championship and still a regular is Football Manager stuff.

rob9872

Kelly not for what he has done on the pitch but what he has done off it , MR relies on him a lot to keep the unit tight and be his voice in the dressing room with fadz as his number two , I’m afraid Doyle was fantastic on the pitch a leader etc but was not as great in the dressing room etc as Kelly has been
Wtf‽??? Doyle was pivotal to that dressing room. He was also influential to the young lads and the reason we got the other pompey boys in.

lordy_87

So far McNulty IMO. If not for his goals that season we wouldn't be where we are now. Not the best player he signed for us, or most valuable sale but the most important individual by far.

COV

Wtf‽??? Doyle was pivotal to that dressing room. He was also influential to the young lads and the reason we got the other pompey boys in.

Doyle was to us what Vinnie Jones was to Leeds- someone to come in for one season in a lower & very tough division purely to help get us out of that divison- by galvanising, cajoling, encouraging, fighting and in doing so giving more talented but younger & more ‘fragile’ players room to play. Then when we went up he was moved on as he wouldn’t be suitable. A very smart signing & exactly what was needed for that season- but not sure you can say he was the best.

Tea & Busquets

Has to be O’Hare for me, valid reasons for most of the other shouts, but to bring in a player of that calibre for free? that’s probably at least £8m profit if we were to sell him NOW. That amount of money is pretty good at just about any level let alone Championship. And we can already see how big of an impact he makes when he plays with the team.

rob9872

Doyle was to us what Vinnie Jones was to Leeds- someone to come in for one season in a lower & very tough division purely to help get us out of that divison- by galvanising, cajoling, encouraging, fighting and in doing so giving more talented but younger & more ‘fragile’ players room to play. Then when we went up he was moved on as he wouldn’t be suitable. A very smart signing & exactly what was needed for that season- but not sure you can say he was the best.
You've misunderstood my response which was about him not helping off the pitch and not about being the best or otherwise.

COV

You've misunderstood my response which was about him not helping off the pitch and not about being the best or otherwise.

not at all, if anything I’m agreeing. Exactly what was needed to get out of a very physical, tough League. I just wouldn’t put him as MR’s best signing, but he was perfect for what we needed right then.

Londonccfcfan

He was that steel missing from previous seasons. Remember how he got a Swindon player sent off at their place. He may have grabbed a goal there too. Think he grabbed his bollocks lol or something stupid like that. He man managed the refs too. He was the statement signing and probably the most important signing.

Users who are viewing this thread