Robins era best signing (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Absolutely. Signed from Herne Bay for nothing and sold for 3.5 million. Great business and a excellent player 👏

Thats Why I said it.

I always thought 6th in league 2 was hardly an achievement so when you go beyond that season the signing and sale of mccallum was a big deal

He played a good part in promotion and survival while at the same time raising vital funds to allow the club to make signings for the first promoted season.

Colin Steins Smile

Rather than picking one player, I've selected one for each division [reflecting the changing level].....I appreciate that this is a bit of a cop out, but felt we had different challenges at each level.

L2 - Doyle ....what a leader. He changed the culture in the dressing room from losers to winners.
L1 - Kelly.....built on Doyle's work, but was the driving force on the pitch.
Championship .....O'Hare. He creates opportunities for others and is a step up in class

PVA

I'm going to say Hyam for overall contribution.

Signed as a development player in L2. Forced his way into the team and was a key part of promotion.

Mainstay in an excellent defence that won League One.

And now important part of a defence that stayed up in the Championship.

Not bad for a free transfer.

Yorkshire SB

Hard to split O’Hare, Kelly and Fadz for me. For different reasons and at different times all been hugely influential.

Offhegoes

Kelly - Considering he was a Non League player when signed (Orient had been relegated) this was a class move
Biamou - Plucked from Non-League and was an important player in getting us promoted from League 2
McFadz - Exactly what we needed. A hard, no nonsense centre back.

procdoc

Kelly - his influence cannot be overstated
Hyam - plucked on a free and has been an integral part of the squad ever since
McCallum - another plucked on a free who improved drastically and earned us some much needed wedge
McNulty - if it weren’t for his 28 goals we wouldn’t have got out of league two
Grimmer - another important cog in the early part of the rebuild
Fadz - been a fantastic player since signing
Dabo - as above
Biamou - smiles and poses for photos a lot
Honourable mentions:
Doyle, Sterling, Godden, O’Hare, Walsh

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

McNulty, Kelly, Godden, McFadzean in terms of getting us to the championship, I get adding Doyle potentially but those 4 were critical.

Kelly - crucial throughout our entire rise

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Its been just over 4 years since he transformed us.

Who's for you has been his his flagship/best/ or most influential signing during his tenure.

Contenders

Doyle
Mcnulty
Biamou
Hyam
Walsh
Marosi
Kelly
McFadzen
Ohare
Godden
Dabo

Don't think I missed anyone else worthy of the shortlist...contenders realistically ..potentially Shipley being brought through our system through the league's.

For me it's Doyle as a leader without him we wouldn't got Mcnulty....close 2nd Kelly.

This isn't necessarily about the best player signed.

Great post, but I can’t answer. The collective sum is greater than the value of the individual parts. Robins has kept building and rebuilding teams, capable of doing the job across 3 divisions now.

I’m not making the comparison for one second, but one of the greatest managers the game has seen, Sir Alex Ferguson, was always lauded for his ability to build and rebuild fantastic teams.

For Robins to keep building and rebuilding teams and achieving in League 2, League 1 and now the Champioship - on a limited budget and playing away from our own City, is bloody impressive.

long way home

Adi Viveash, was a MR master stroke.

He has played a massive role in development of the players, really good fit for the club.. He came with fantastic contacts, top reputation and a was working with one of the biggest clubs in the world at the time. Getting him from that, to a club at the arse end of football, outwardly going nowhere was massive. I'm sure a turning point for MR, getting a big part of the jigsaw he needed to have success in the door.

Let's hope he has done it again with D Lawrence, quietly doing an effective job.

As for players it's a bit unfair to pick certain players out, but 2 players i honestly think stand out are Doyle and Kelly.

Like the coaches MR needed these players in for what they brought on and off the field. Doyle was a no brainer, knew the club, just promoted from L2 as a player, so knew what it took to get out of it. And came with a reputation of leading by example, always demanded everything of those around him. The desire to get us promoted and not just come to pick up a last pay day speaks volumes of him as a person and player Big influence on the club.

Kelly, come in after Doyle and has picked up where Doyle left off. Big influence in the changing room and stepped up to championship football making us a really solid team when most has us going down.

As for others I haven't seen togetherness in a cov squad like this since 87. They play for each other, always look to do the right thing and seem to enjoy being at the club. At the minute the club has a feel good factor about it, fans feel it and players are responding. We just need to stay away from injuries and I'm sure a better finish than last season can be gained.

Last edited:

Skybluefaz

Best signing was Identity and Togetherness

giphy.gif

skybluegod

I don't think Fadz gets enough appreciation across the board. Despite, his mistakes over the last couple seasons he's an absolute leader. He has made the step up, and even when he's 34 he is is in tiptop condition. People were expecting him to only be able to start occasionally this season, and yet to me I can easily see him hitting another 40+ appearances for us this year. He clearly takes looking after himself seriously, only have to look at pre-season when he had to complete the 90 mins from the first match.

Londonccfcfan

Great post, but I can’t answer. The collective sum is greater than the value of the individual parts. Robins has kept building and rebuilding teams, capable of doing the job across 3 divisions now.

I’m not making the comparison for one second, but one of the greatest managers the game has seen, Sir Alex Ferguson, was always lauded for his ability to build and rebuild fantastic teams.

For Robins to keep building and rebuilding teams and achieving in League 2, League 1 and now the Champioship - on a limited budget and playing away from our own City, is bloody impressive.

His re build jobs have been amazing knows when players are surplus or expired. Yes thereS been some duds which is inevitable. But overall what an improvement with a few players at the heart of it throughout.
Kelly/Hyam/Shipley/Biamou.

Users who are viewing this thread