Relegation thread (4 Viewers)

no_loyalty

Unless we suddenly put a run together which replicates promotion form, we are well and truly fucked.

Astute

Although I think we will struggle next year, it might be in their best interests to keep us in the league as part of his beloved breakeven is selling young players.

1. Do academies work the same in non league or is it easier to pick off young players
  2. Are we as attractive to young players who want league football
The lower down you are the less the players get sold for as it is normally clubs 1 or 2 levels above that are interested in them.

skyblue025

The academy golden goose may of laid it's last egg. Don't forget the academy is out on its arse at the end of the season. No announcement yet of where it's moving too or even if there will be one next season.

stevefloyd

I am resigned to the fact we will be relegated... we dont have a team capable of drawing never mind winning we have had about 4 shots on target in the last 3 games... not much hope considering our strike force are beyond shit and theres no confidence running through the team even considering we have brought in new blood

Otis

I am resigned to the fact we will be relegated... we dont have a team capable of drawing never mind winning we have had about 4 shots on target in the last 3 games... not much hope considering our strike force are beyond shit and theres no confidence running through the team even considering we have brought in new blood
But besides that it is all sunshine and hunky doryness.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

The academy golden goose may of laid it's last egg. Don't forget the academy is out on its arse at the end of the season. No announcement yet of where it's moving too or even if there will be one next season.
The way things are going the Academy players is all that's left, so they won't need Ryton next season because they will be in the first team playing at the Ricoh. :wacky:

oucho

I just looked at the fixture list to come up with ideas for good away days after the next 2 away games I'm planning (Wimbles and MK).

And looking at the games left, I thought......oh dear oh dear, as Barry Chuckle might say. I hadn't fully clocked this, but after tomorrow we have a month to save ourselves with games against 6 teams who are in the bottom half, 4 of whom are right in the relegation mix (Oldham, Shrewsbury, Bury, Swindon, with Gills just above them and Wimbledon also bottom half). So far, so winnable you'd think (unless you recall our results against ALL these sides this season and also recent howlers against Northampton and Chesterfield).

But from mid-March it's an absolute clusterfuck:
Bradford - 5th currently
Southend - 7th
then we play MK Dons in 15th, the one exception to playing top half sides in the last 10 games
Bristol R - 8th
Sheff United - 2nd
Peterborough -9th
Charlton - 11th
Rochdale -6th
Walsall - 12th
Scunthorpe - 1st

Assuming our form doesn't get much better, we'll hit the Bradford game still well adrift of safety. With that lot in the run-in, I suspect we might be mathematically confirmed with 4 games to go.

We're on 21 points now, I almost don't mind at this point if we go down giving it a real fight, but if we go down with 35 points or something pathetic it really will be a sorry time. You do fear that we'll "do a Derby" and just keep turning up every week and walking away with nul points, leaving us going down in flames.

Paxman II

I just looked at the fixture list to come up with ideas for good away days after the next 2 away games I'm planning (Wimbles and MK).

And looking at the games left, I thought......oh dear oh dear, as Barry Chuckle might say. I hadn't fully clocked this, but after tomorrow we have a month to save ourselves with games against 6 teams who are in the bottom half, 4 of whom are right in the relegation mix (Oldham, Shrewsbury, Bury, Swindon, with Gills just above them and Wimbledon also bottom half). So far, so winnable you'd think (unless you recall our results against ALL these sides this season and also recent howlers against Northampton and Chesterfield).

But from mid-March it's an absolute clusterfuck:
Bradford - 5th currently
Southend - 7th
then we play MK Dons in 15th, the one exception to playing top half sides in the last 10 games
Bristol R - 8th
Sheff United - 2nd
Peterborough -9th
Charlton - 11th
Rochdale -6th
Walsall - 12th
Scunthorpe - 1st

Assuming our form doesn't get much better, we'll hit the Bradford game still well adrift of safety. With that lot in the run-in, I suspect we might be mathematically confirmed with 4 games to go.

We're on 21 points now, I almost don't mind at this point if we go down giving it a real fight, but if we go down with 35 points or something pathetic it really will be a sorry time. You do fear that we'll "do a Derby" and just keep turning up every week and walking away with nul points, leaving us going down in flames.

You forget one thing. It never really goes the way you see it does it? Its unpredictable even for CCFC. Far too many parameters to make a prediction. As so often happens results will be surprising either way. The only thing we can do is judge how we play the next few games. If we gather a couple of wins the whole outlook will change. The crucial period is the next few.

oucho

You forget one thing. It never really goes the way you see it does it? Its unpredictable even for CCFC. Far too many parameters to make a prediction. As so often happens results will be surprising either way. The only thing we can do is judge how we play the next few games. If we gather a couple of wins the whole outlook will change. The crucial period is the next few.

Indeed. I didn't intend to prove we are down, more to show that the supposedly more winnable games are bunched together in the next minth, after which it looks much tougher. Therefore the onus is on us winning 3 or 4 of the next 6.

We have played better against the upper sides than those lower down, but even so we haven't got the results. Apart from Rochdale the next highest team we have beaten is 14th. 9 of our last 10 games are against teams currently higher than that. I hadn't realised our run in was so tough.

st john

And don't forget everyone talks about the collapse last season but in the last 6 games we won 4 including Millwall (4th) Bradford (5th) Sheff U (11th) and only lost 1-0 away to Wigan.

oucho

Problem was it was too late by then.

st john

Problem was it was too late by then.
Thats true it was too late to do us any good but 2 of those clubs had everything to play for so were obviously trying. I think the pressure was on us as well after the run we had. It does show that no result is a foregone conclusion though.

oucho

Thats true it was too late to do us any good but 2 of those clubs had everything to play for so were obviously trying. I think the pressure was on us as well after the run we had. It does show that no result is a foregone conclusion though.

The point remains that we have a block of games against the lower sides then a sequence against the higher sides. All things being equal, and i see you're arguing that's not necessarily the case, we need to win a big majority of our next half dozen league games.

In the final part of last season we did well when the pressure was off. Pressure won't be off this season until it's become a foregone conclusion sometime in April. By definition it will, by then, be too late.

Gazolba

<snip> The only thing we can do is judge how we play the next few games. If we gather a couple of wins the whole outlook will change. The crucial period is the next few.
It's going to take more than a couple of wins to change our outlook. Two wins will probably still leave us bottom. I'd say we need four or five wins to change our outlook.
Of course every win is welcome. but we are seriously in trouble and it will be very difficult to escape now. We have dug ourselves too deep a hole.

oucho

Yep. We've won 4 league games since April. Winning 8 more before May looks like a very implausible prospect indeed, but that's probably what's needed. I have accepted in my heart we are gone and fully expect it, yet i can't help watching with hopeful fascination.

sky blue john

Was it not said that the last few games were crucial ?

steve82

I think it's fair to say it's too much a ask. We're all out of luck, even big penalty shouts we cannot win, no sign of a goal, and Burge won't keep you in the league.
Im defeated.... the bulk of the squad is not up to standard or the fight required.

Otis

I think it's fair to say it's too much a ask. We're all out of luck, even big penalty shouts we cannot win, no sign of a goal, and Burge won't keep you in the league.
Im defeated.... the bulk of the squad is not up to standard or the fight required.
Burge today was truly dreadful.

Always maintained that he gives the back four the jitters.

Certainly did today.

oucho

At this rate we'll struggle to get 35 points, never mind 50. We will now have to win about half our remaining games, 50% win ratio, plus a few draws, to get to probable safety. Even if for the final 17 games we triple the rate at which we've won games so far this season, it isn't likely to be enough.

Until it's mathematically confirmed i will stay tuned but realistically we don't seem to have any hope of the kind of turnaround needed.

skyblue1991

Resigned myself to relegation last week and I am honestly rather apathetic.

I will continue to hope we can turn it around though.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Otis

I would say we need to win the next three in a row just to even give ourselves a bit of hope.

Bad enough we keep losing games, but with those around us picking up points too, it's a double whammy.

steve82

Burge today was truly dreadful.

Always maintained that he gives the back four the jitters.

Certainly did today.

I'm struggling to see any good in him, being behind the goal and Chesterfield and Northampton gave me a better insight into his game rather than block 21.
His all round game is poor, I pleased his contract is up in months....
Goes down as one of the worst keepers to wear the shirt.
Today was the worst for a while.... kicking was he's strongest today which suggest how bad he was.
If he caught a cold he'd likely spill it!

shmmeee

Does it count as mid February yet? Am I allowed to go back to thinking we are definitely down?

At least Swindon are losing now, still only 8 points off.

Otis

I'm struggling to see any good in him, being behind the goal and Chesterfield and Northampton gave me a better insight into his game rather than block 21.
His all round game is poor, I pleased his contract is up in months....
Goes down as one of the worst keepers to wear the shirt.
Today was the worst for a while.... kicking was he's strongest today which suggest how bad he was.
If he caught a cold he'd likely spill it!
It was a dreadful mistake yesterday.

You can clearly see it is a deep corner, yet he goes to his near post.

He stays in the middle he probably collects that.

The only thing I can think of in his defence is that he was probably running away from a tennis ball.

Otis

Does it count as mid February yet? Am I allowed to go back to thinking we are definitely down?

At least Swindon are losing now, still only 8 points off.
Yay! Party round my house at 8. Bring Frazzles and cheesy biscuits.

Otis

I think the only thing now that can turn our season around is the trip to Wembley.

We win on Tuesday and we are going to be buzzing for a few days at least. Maybe, just maybe that will boost the morale and spirit in the dressing room.

The Reverend Skyblue

I think the only thing now that can turn our season around is the trip to Wembley.

We win on Tuesday and we are going to be buzzing for a few days at least. Maybe, just maybe that will boost the morale and spirit in the dressing room.
Yes I agree a trip to Wembley could be our last hope.
Win Tuesday, I don't know how, but if we did this it will pick the players up ,and between Tuesday and the game at Wembley the players hopefully will be fighting for a place in the Checkatrade final team, which will see more commitment and aggression/fight both on and off the ball.
This should bring improved results and a bit of momentum, if we can some how put a three game winning run together plus the game in hand will see us back in the pack.
I might need an urgent mental review, but we are not down yet and us oldies who covcity4life hates have been in much worse positions with the team than this and still got out

Users who are viewing this thread