Ref (1 Viewer)

Adge

It's the angle, the ref sees the incident from the back and, as mentioned somewhere previously, may not have seen Thomas get the ball first. I was pretty much in line with the play and could clearly see that Thomas had got the ball first, as could everyone around me and as should the linesman as well. So yes, the linesman had a better view of the incident.

The linesman on this side of the pitch was a waste of a match fee to be honest.
Na, before the game a referee a Referee will give his assistants specific instructions around penalties that would probably include “If you see anything on your side of the penalty area please get involved. Anything from the penalty spot to the far side of the area I’ll deal with”

MalcSB

Na, before the game a referee a Referee will give his assistants specific instructions around penalties that would probably include “If you see anything on your side of the penalty area please get involved. Anything from the penalty spot to the far side of the area I’ll deal with”
And get it wrong.

Adge

And get it wrong.
Yep-your opinion of course, but you asked why the assistant wouldn’t get involved did you not and that is what I was trying to explain?

Last edited:

SBAndy

Not put his leg about thigh height to clear the ball
We are going round in circles though😀

One of my pet hates is judging a tackle by its height whilst seemingly not taking into consideration the height of the ball. To my mind (and yes, I know this isn’t aligned with the laws) if the ball is a yard off the ground there’s the distinct possibility of high contact. Height of the ball should be a mitigant.

Nuskyblue

This is what gets me. That was always Thomas’ ball, he gets there miles before KDH. It’s not like your usual 50/50 where you have to be very mindful of contact.
I think I said something similar on Saturday (prob half cut)!

It's more a 70/30 in Thomas' favour. If it was a genuine 50/50 I think it's different IMO. Obviously it's in the laws of the game that a follow through can be deemed a foul which I get, just not on this occasion.

I also think their red was harsh.

Adge

I think I said something similar on Saturday (prob half cut)!

It's more a 70/30 in Thomas' favour. If it was a genuine 50/50 I think it's different IMO. Obviously it's in the laws of the game that a follow through can be deemed a foul which I get, just not on this occasion.

I also think their red was harsh.
If the officials let that go he is opening the game up for a free for all. That is the sort of challenge that could severely injure an opponent and player’s safety is paramount above anything else.

Nuskyblue

If the officials let that go he is opening the game up for a free for all. That is the sort of challenge that could severely injure an opponent and player’s safety is paramount above anything else.
Fair enough, I'd probably have to see it again. It looked like a fairly standard tackle from 80 yards away!

Nuskyblue

Just had a revisit, he really came in with force so yea, I can see this one.

skybluecam

The most telling bit of the red card was in the unseen video- watch Faes (crazy hair on the right) straight after the tackle goes in. He turns away with his hands on his head before the ref even takes the card out.

MalcSB

Yep-your opinion of course, but you asked why the assistant wouldn’t get involved did you not and that is what I was trying to explain?
OK, I get the explanation, but if the linesman has a different perspective (as they generally will do) surely it makes sense, especially in the absence of VAR, to consult with them.

BTW, could you explain to me how it is that referees generally appear to have a better view than the linesman of who conceded a throw in?

MalcSB

The most telling bit of the red card was in the unseen video- watch Faes (crazy hair on the right) straight after the tackle goes in. He turns away with his hands on his head before the ref even takes the card out.
What is equally telling is that, in the highlights, not one Leicester player appeals for a penalty before it Is awarded.

Adge

OK, I get the explanation, but if the linesman has a different perspective (as they generally will do) surely it makes sense, especially in the absence of VAR, to consult with them.

BTW, could you explain to me how it is that referees generally appear to have a better view than the linesman of who conceded a throw in?
No, but it really depends usually who is nearest-but again before the game the referee will give instructions regarding throw ins aswell such as-
“Anything from the corner flag to the halfway line please give your decision and I’ll go with it unless it is blatantly wrong-but anything from the halfway line onwards I will be closer so please go with me”
The reason is also the 2 don’t want to cross, ie the assistant goes one way and the referee goes the other way which looks really messy which I’m sure we all agree and undermines one’s credibility especially in a professional environment.
That’s is also why you sometimes see a pause between the 2 so this doesn’t happen.

MalcSB

No, but it really depends usually who is nearest-but again before the game the referee will give instructions regarding throw ins aswell such as-
“Anything from the corner flag to the halfway line please give your decision and I’ll go with it unless it is blatantly wrong-but anything from the halfway line onwards I will be closer so please go with me”
The reason is also the 2 don’t want to cross, ie the assistant goes one way and the referee goes the other way which looks really messy which I’m sure we all agree and undermines one’s credibility especially in a professional environment.
That’s is also why you sometimes see a pause between the 2 so this doesn’t happen.
I think the problem is that the way it operates seems to undermine their credibility anyway.

Nick

Administrator
It wasn't a challenge though, that's the thing.

He was clearing the ball well in advance of their player getting there.

Do you need like letting it go when their keeper came out with his foot and studs over head height?

MalcSB

Do you need like letting it go when their keeper came out with his foot and studs over head height?
I think Adge was referring to the red card incident?

Adge

On about the challenge on Bidwell squire.

SBAndy

Watching it back I don’t think it looks that bad but the speed at which he throws himself in you knew straight away was going to bring a red card.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

One of my pet hates is judging a tackle by its height whilst seemingly not taking into consideration the height of the ball. To my mind (and yes, I know this isn’t aligned with the laws) if the ball is a yard off the ground there’s the distinct possibility of high contact. Height of the ball should be a mitigant.
It's not the height but what you do with it that counts.

Frostie

Yep & Winks too.

Equally, even their manager (who thinks everyone is conspiring against them) said he deserved a red, the player himself has admitted & issued apologies on social media to which his teammates have agreed & just urged him to learn from it. Not to mention Fatawu has form for some wild tackles already this season.

Robinshio

That team is so bonded - not sure how they do it, but arguments on another thread about how good our squad is v other teams - Many do have some better individuals, but year after year we always have the best TEAM - Well done Mark Adi and Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread