Ref (2 Viewers)

wingy

Palmer got booked for kicking the ball away. I don't think it was dissent at the decision. I think Palmer was more frustrated at fucking up a good opportunity through poor ball control. Moments later he approached the ref in a lull in play and appeared to explain his actions.

Whether it was a foul or not is irrelevant. If you react like that and kick the ball away with such aggression it is a booking all day long.
Consistency is what is the argument here? One of theirs did it,no sanction?

WestEndAgro

Ref watch 11.30 on Sky Sports News, with Dermot Gallagher.
Surely they will be in a discussion regarding the penalty.

Calista

The two pictures are interesting. Did the ref, from his angle, even realise that Thomas played the ball? The subsequent ricochet towards the goal line might have made it look like their player got there first before being scythed down. Very different from the reality.

Calista

You can see DH starting to take evasive action I think.
Yes, but curiously he then continues, ensuring contact inside the area :)

It doesn't matter at all now of course, but it's still interesting from the point of view of the laws of the game.

In real time and in all the replays and stills I've seen, it's their player who arrives late. You obviously can't lunge through the ball when a player is in the firing line of that lunge, even if you do get the ball as well as the man. But here Thomas lunges at the ball well before the other player arrives, and IMO his leg position is entirely natural in clearing it. KDH gets there second and 'recklessly' charges it down, initiating the contact.

wingy

Yes, but curiously he then continues, ensuring contact inside the area :)

It doesn't matter at all now of course, but it's still interesting from the point of view of the laws of the game.

In real time and in all the replays and stills I've seen, it's their player who arrives late. You obviously can't lunge through the ball when a player is in the firing line of that lunge, even if you do get the ball as well as the man. But here Thomas lunges at the ball well before the other player arrives, and IMO his leg position is entirely natural in clearing it. KDH gets there second and 'recklessly' charges it down, initiating the contact.
Oh you don't have to convince me!
As I've said before you can see re Thomas's foot turning he doesn't get the studs but the side ,heel of the boot!

MalcSB

Just watched City Unseen, and the penalty decision at full speed from a low angle looks absolutely nailed on. From the stand you could see Thomas get the ball (regardless of the follow through), you can see it int he replay from behind the goal, but from the refs eye view level it looked nailed on.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
What about from the linesmans' view?

Wait a minute - (a) he was crap and (b) they don't actually do anything these days, do they?

MalcSB

Yeah he kicked it in anger at the refs decision, it was for dissent.

To be fair, there has been a new directives on kicking the ball away is more around time wasting:

Time wasting: Any attempt at time wasting will result in a mandatory yellow card. This will include kicking the ball away, walking/running off with the ball, interfering with an opponent taking a free-kick etc.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Does the etc include anything about goalkeepers, e.g. dropping to the floor unnecessarily?

Adge

What about from the linesmans' view?

Wait a minute - (a) he was crap and (b) they don't actually do anything these days, do they?
The Assistant who is on the far side 40-50 yards away has a better view than the referee who is 10 yards away? Hmmmm.

MalcSB

The Assistant who is on the far side 40-50 yards away has a better view than the referee who is 10 yards away? Hmmmm.
It's the angle, the ref sees the incident from the back and, as mentioned somewhere previously, may not have seen Thomas get the ball first. I was pretty much in line with the play and could clearly see that Thomas had got the ball first, as could everyone around me and as should the linesman as well. So yes, the linesman had a better view of the incident.

The linesman on this side of the pitch was a waste of a match fee to be honest.

Adge

Everyone going around in circles regarding this. Does anyone think that Thomas knew exactly what he was doing by doing a crafty follow through on KDH? I think Thomas knew exactly what he was doing-took a gamble and unfortunately it caught up with him.
McFadz is the type of no nonsense player also that would have probably done the same-they are both cut from the same cloth.

MalcSB

Everyone going around in circles regarding this. Does anyone think that Thomas knew exactly what he was doing by doing a crafty follow through on KDH? I think Thomas knew exactly what he was doing-took a gamble and unfortunately it caught up with him.
McFadz is the type of no nonsense player also that would have probably done the same-they are both cut from the same cloth.
If Thomas had the speed of thought to do that, he could equally have had the speed of thought to have not considered his action to be reckless.

wingy

No!

mark82

I've come to the opinion that penalty was probably the right decision, but no, don't think any part of it was intentional.

Users who are viewing this thread