McCallum
Rose
Mcfadzean
Walsh
Ohare
Jobello - probably the only question mark
Godden
Allen

So 10 out of this seasons squad of 17-18 were recruited for last season - wow!

That’s an amazing thing to have achieved and is why we were champions

Absolutely hard to repeat but robins and Vivash and the recruitment team have proved very adept

Brighton Sky Blue

Wasn’t McCallum brought in for the 18/19 season? Doesn’t detract from the point though, compare it to Mowbray’s efforts in 16/17 and it’s almost embarrassing. Jury also still out on Kasta

better days

Wasn’t McCallum brought in for the 18/19 season? Doesn’t detract from the point though, compare it to Mowbray’s efforts in 16/17 and it’s almost embarrassing. Jury also still out on Kasta
If fans knew the restrictions Mowbray had to work under they would be more charitable
I think the penny fianally dropped with the owners and when they eventually turned to Mark Robins they gave him more support
Winning the Checkatrade probably helped his cause as they saw over 43,000 Coventry fans turn up and realised the potential

Brody195

Just put this on Facebook

Just last year and it’s not all hits but first team squad hits are

Marosi
Dabo
McCallum
Rose
Mcfadzean
Walsh
Ohare
Jobello - probably the only question mark
Godden
Allen

So 10 out of this seasons squad of 17-18 were recruited for last season - wow!

That’s an amazing thing to have achieved and is why we were champions

Absolutely hard to repeat but robins and Vivash and the recruitment team have proved very adept
Having had conversations with viv I can say he really knows a player when he sees one. All faith in him to do the same next season.

Nick

Administrator
Kastaneer.

Jury is still out on Jobello, I think if used properly and with a striker linking up with him he would have got plenty of assists in League 1.

Sky Blue Pete

If fans knew the restrictions Mowbray had to work under they would be more charitable
I think the penny fianally dropped with the owners and when they eventually turned to Mark Robins they gave him more support
Winning the Checkatrade probably helped his cause as they saw over 43,000 Coventry fans turn up and realised the potential
I’m sure that’s true

Mucca Mad Boys

I appreciate Mowbray didn’t have much going for him going into the relegation season.

Which begs the question of: why was he chasing Championship quality players under these restrictions?

Robins has done well because he’s built a good recruitment team with a strategy. Something he noticed we lacked (and previous managers too?) and worked to address.

I like Mowbray, still believe he is a good manager, but he wasn’t a good fit for the club. With Robins, it’s a perfect fit.

Brighton Sky Blue

Of course, though from the outside looking in it seemed like he set his sights unrealistically high and so we were left scrambling around after the horse had bolted.

wingy

Of course, though from the outside looking in it seemed like he set his sights unrealistically high and so we were left scrambling around after the horse had bolted.
I always had the feeling there were two budget scenarios.
I can't remember the background to it though

clint van damme

I think Jobello was starting to show signs he was settling in before he got injured.
Kastaneer is a liability.
Overall the recruitment was fantastic.

Brighton Sky Blue

I always had the feeling there were two budget scenarios.
I can't remember the background to it though

Nor can I to be fair, but even with a bumper L1 budget the players were out of reach. This time around we have been realistic, done our homework and negotiated deals in the club’s favour. Most of all we’ve just had a strategy and kept to it. Back then it was a mess.

SlowerThanPlatt

I think Mowbray is a better manager for the Championship and Robins in League 1 based on their managerial careers so far. We’re the biggest club Robins has managed so his recruitment is sensible and in line with other clubs he’s managed whereas with Mowbray he’s managed the likes of Boro and West Brom and struggled to adapt signing a bunch of players who used to be good at Championship level, it may go the other way with Robins next year

Sky Blue Pete

I think Mowbray is a better manager for the Championship and Robins in League 1 based on their managerial careers so far. We’re the biggest club Robins has managed so his recruitment is sensible and in line with other clubs he’s managed whereas with Mowbray he’s managed the likes of Boro and West Brom and struggled to adapt signing a bunch of players who used to be good at Championship level, it may go the other way with Robins next year
Hope not

Nick

Administrator
I think Jobello was starting to show signs he was settling in before he got injured.
Kastaneer is a liability.
Overall the recruitment was fantastic.

I think Jobello although he didn't take on 100 players and put it in the top corner, his stats were really good.

I am not sure which stat it was but he was right up there in League One, may have been crosses or players beaten or something.

He also tried far too hard all of the time, you could see if a cross was misplaced it would break his heart and his head would go down.

SAJ

To me the difference is Robins has built a team to recruit players and it’s their job to bring suitable ones to his attention. Mowbray didn’t have that. Do t know if that was his choice or it was forced on him.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It makes me laugh how some people are so desperate to defend Mowbray.

It wasn't just his recruitment which was shocking, his management of players and squad selection was painfully shit too.

If I had to decide between him and Robins to manage us next season there isn't even a debate to be had.

clint van damme

It wasn't just his recruitment which was shocking, his management of players and squad selection was painfully shit too.

If I had to decide between him and Robins to manage us next season there isn't even a debate to be had.

I know someone who'll try.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

giphy.gif

mr_monkey

I just don't get the mowbray love. That team was arguably better than the one that got promoted this season and yet he didn't even get into the playoffs, that's a massive failure in my mind

Brighton Sky Blue

I just don't get the mowbray love. That team was arguably better than the one that got promoted this season and yet he didn't even get into the playoffs, that's a massive failure in my mind

The collapse in 2016 was really hard to take seeing as we looked nailed on for at least the playoffs. But some famously dreadful mid season signings and absence of ideas put paid to it. The home loss to a Colchester side who conceded nearly 100 goals that season, and where Murphy missed a pen, was the icing on the cake.

cc84cov

Kastaneer.

Jury is still out on Jobello, I think if used properly and with a striker linking up with him he would have got plenty of assists in League 1.
Definitely he’s an out and out winger his crossing looked real good

Mucca Mad Boys

Mowbray, without a doubt, has had a career that is far better than Robins.

But, a lot of managers just need a good fit with the club they’re at. Numerous managers have left clubs when they’re on a high (e.g. Nathan Jones) and gone to a bigger club, more resources and so on, and have not achieved as well.

To demonstrate this, remember when Eddie Howe jumped up a league from Bournemouth to manage Burnley? It wasn’t a good fit, he left Burnley and went back to Bournemouth - dropping a league as a manager is pretty rare! Then he went on to take the club from L1 to the Prem.

Robins previous record isn’t really an issue, one way or the other. He’s won all his silverware at this club which clearly indicates that he’s found a good fit, and vice versa.

Interestingly, that’s Howe’s Bournemouth is what Robins is attempting to emulate here.

JulianDarbyFTW

I think it's partly to do with the fact that we had such a good few months at / near the top of the division before it imploded, and it was our first time in years (probably since Aidy Boothroyd's days) that we had had that joy. I look back on him fondly because he gave me some hope for a few short months, after the politics and poor performances had sucked enjoyment out of football. It ended in a shambles, but for the first time in a decade or more I believed the good times might be coming back.

Gibbo

There were some cracking individual results under Mowbray. Millwall 4-0 away, Bury 6-0 at home. Peterboro - fight back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. But (unlike most) when he signed Joe Cole I feared the worst. The success had been built on young loans and a good hardworking central midfield. Then he brought in a load old codgers beginning with Cole who were all over the hill.

The ticket to the Bury gamewas a birthday present from my daughter. I was ill, but she drove me there all wrapped up in countless layers - I couldn't have driven myself. From the moment Stokes scored I knew it was a great birthday treat. Not fun fact - I have seen four games with my daughter and two have been 0-0, one 1-0 plus Bury.

Brighton Sky Blue

There were some cracking individual results under Mowbray. Millwall 4-0 away, Bury 6-0 at home. Peterboro - fight back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. But (unlike most) when he signed Joe Cole I feared the worst. The success had been built on young loans and a good hardworking central midfield. Then he brought in a load old codgers beginning with Cole who were all over the hill.

The ticket to the Bury gamewas a birthday present from my daughter. I was ill, but she drove me there all wrapped up in countless layers - I couldn't have driven myself. From the moment Stokes scored I knew it was a great birthday treat. Not fun fact - I have seen four games with my daughter and two have been 0-0, one 1-0 plus Bury.

The 5-0 away at Crewe was great fun. When it clicked it was brilliant, just when the wheels came off he didn’t know what to do. Armstrong was one hell of a loan signing, perhaps our best one in L1 before this year’s intake.

covcity4life

Smart fans realise this. Looks like covcity4life is proven right again!!!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We've just got promoted but as ever SBT wants to have a discussion about the 16/17 season.

Next thing you know the losers of the referendum will resurrect the Brexit thread.

giphy.gif

fernandopartridge

It wasn't really, it had a few very talented players but lots of dross. The quality all round in the current team is higher even if there aren't necessarily players of the same talent.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Mowbray, without a doubt, has had a career that is far better than Robins.

But, a lot of managers just need a good fit with the club they’re at. Numerous managers have left clubs when they’re on a high (e.g. Nathan Jones) and gone to a bigger club, more resources and so on, and have not achieved as well.

To demonstrate this, remember when Eddie Howe jumped up a league from Bournemouth to manage Burnley? It wasn’t a good fit, he left Burnley and went back to Bournemouth - dropping a league as a manager is pretty rare! Then he went on to take the club from L1 to the Prem.

Robins previous record isn’t really an issue, one way or the other. He’s won all his silverware at this club which clearly indicates that he’s found a good fit, and vice versa.

Interestingly, that’s Howe’s Bournemouth is what Robins is attempting to emulate here.
Mowbray is dining out on a promotion achieved with a strong West Brom team over 10 years ago, his career since has been patchy at best

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread