The Philosopher

Jan 16, 2014
It's where he loses the ball.

O'Hare and Hamer give it away in the opposition's half. Sheaf looks far less composed when hassled in our box.

If he starts Saturday in the deep position and Fulham pile on the pressure like Luton, we'll be torn to pieces.
Nailed on.

As I’ve said before they’ll always be those who start with these pointless and deceptive stats and I had a bet with myself with which genius would do so first. (See previous)

Sheaf sits deep and his “successful passes” are usually to the keeper or backwards to a defender. Hamer gets forward and attempts through balls more.

The Philosopher

Jan 16, 2014
For a few seasons now I've been arguing that it's ok playing across the back and that it's good to see we're comfortable on the ball, receiving it in tight spaces and playing it out from the back, but there is a time when we do come predictable with it for anyone who has watched and a team that presses with intensity as Luton did last night will always give us problems and when they do it seems our only plan B option is to hoof it. There must be another way and we need to find that variation that means we remain playing the ball without always reverting to type.
Yes there is another way:

If the opposition press high then they leave gaps in the midfield for a runner to drive direct at the defence.

It’s the classic long ball to big man, knock down and nippy skilful striker runs through.

See our winner against Forest.

We need a pacy striker / AM on the bench // pitch to do this.

If the opposition know that they are at risk of a counter then they won’t press as high.

When Gyok went off we had the physicality of one of Cap’n Birdseye’s mushed up f-in fish fingers.

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
It's where he loses the ball.

O'Hare and Hamer give it away in the opposition's half. Sheaf looks far less composed when hassled in our box.

If he starts Saturday in the deep position and Fulham pile on the pressure like Luton, we'll be torn to pieces.
We were torn to pieces with Hamer and Allen and O'Hare in midfield yesterday, which is why were were 4-0 down before Sheaf even came on.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Philosopher

Jan 16, 2014
If he thought he was a liability he wouldn’t play him, let alone sign him.
You are not Mark Robins.

Mark Robins had so much faith in Sheaf (that he was contracted to buy) that he tried to sign Walsh / James etc.

He dropped Sheaf to the bench in favour of Jamie Allen.

That’s how, it appears, much faith Robins has in Sheaf.

Kelly must have stolen Mark Robins Twix to have not been thrown on last night or, I suspect, knew he needed Kelly to play on Saturday and not Sheaf and not risk Kelly getting injured.

Game was lost. Give Sheaf a run out to see if he’s learned anything.

clint van damme

May 3, 2015
Just to reminder that Fulham have played 4 teams we've played this season, won 1 lost 3.
We've won 3 drew 1.

Reactions: WestEndAgro

Brighton Sky Blue

Jan 11, 2012
Coventry
You are not Mark Robins.

Mark Robins had so much faith in Sheaf (that he was contracted to buy) that he tried to sign Walsh / James etc.

Kelly must have stolen Mark Robins Twix to have not been thrown on last night or, I suspect, knew he needed Kelly to play on Saturday and not Sheaf and not risk Kelly getting injured.

This is like judging Walker for his 10 minute cameos. The games Sheaf has started this season he’s been fine

Reactions: Terry_dactyl

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
You are not Mark Robins.

What a load of nonsense

The Philosopher

Jan 16, 2014
What a load of nonsense
Really?

In my world Sheaf was signed on loan with a commitment to buy at the end of the season.

In my world Sheaf was dropped to the bench recently.

In my world Robins tried to sign Walsh and signed James on loan and dropped Sheaf last year. This coincided with an upturn in results.

Point out one thing. Just one thing, that isn’t true.

What’s your world? I’d love to go there because it ain’t the real one

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
McFadzean did call Sheaf at the very last minute, but surely McFadzean would have seen the proximity of the attacker to Sheaf in the first place.

There was a sense of deja vu about the goal, I can remember us conceding where McFadz played a short pass into somebody who was tackled from which the other team scored. I can't remember who it was.

The entire back line, Moore included were playing some awful passes in to people who stood no chance all night. Almost as if they were on autopilot and passing where they always do despite the high press being on.

Sick Boy

Sep 29, 2008
Verona, Italy
You are not Mark Robins.

What utter shite.

Reactions: stupot07

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Really?

In my world Sheaf was signed on loan with a commitment to buy at the end of the season.

In my world Robins tried to sign Walsh and signed James on loan and dropped Sheaf last year. This coincided with an upturn in results.

There’s no evidence we tried to sign Walsh and he would play the Hamer role not the Sheaf role anyway. Sheaf started the season and only Allen’s excellent form dropped him to the bench but he came straight back next away game. There’s an argument he should’ve yesterday as well as we faced similar issues to Cardiff with high balls coming in and no time and space for Allen in midfield.

We also didn’t drop Sheaf, he got injured and that’s why he didn’t play towards the end of last season. When he was fit he played in all bar 7 games last year.

Sorry, you only asked for one didn’t you?

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
Really?

Yes, it certainly is your world rather than the real one

Robins never tried to sign Walsh either this summer or last.

James signed early Jan and was in the side with Sheaf who was injured in early Feb. We won 3 out 10 games in February and March, is that the upturn in form you were on about?

pusbccfc

Apr 15, 2011
Coventry
We were torn to pieces with Hamer and Allen and O'Hare in midfield yesterday, which is why were were 4-0 down before Sheaf even came on.

Spot on, they too were overwhelmed.

Difference is, it's the first time we've really seen Hamer crumble under the pressure. Part of it seemed to be due to the injury he went off with.

pusbccfc

Apr 15, 2011
Coventry
When was the

Kelly will start ahead of sheaf Saturday and rightly so,Sheaf came on ahead of Kelly as he only play recently In the under 23’s I remember arguing with people who get sheaf would be ahead of Kelly this season

Surely Kelly won't come in to start in a game against a top side like Fulham.

Sheaf will start.

Sick Boy

Sep 29, 2008
Verona, Italy
When was the

Kelly will start ahead of sheaf Saturday and rightly so,Sheaf came on ahead of Kelly as he only play recently In the under 23’s I remember arguing with people who get sheaf would be ahead of Kelly this season
Or he played Sheaf in anticipation of giving him some game time ahead of the weekend.

cc84cov

Aug 14, 2018
Or he played Sheaf in anticipation of giving him some game time ahead of the weekend.
Possibly but if Liam Kelly is fit he plays if there is ever a game for kelly it’s Luton away midweek he should of played last night in hindsight

stupot07

Mar 20, 2011
Surely Kelly won't come in to start in a game against a top side like Fulham.

Sheaf will start.
I agree, he looked completely off the pace in his cameo against Peterborough.

I'd be very surprised if Kelly starts

Reactions: pusbccfc

Frostie

Jan 31, 2011
There’s no evidence we tried to sign Walsh and he would play the Hamer role not the Sheaf role anyway. Sheaf started the season and only Allen’s excellent form dropped him to the bench but he came straight back next away game. There’s an argument he should’ve yesterday as well as we faced similar issues to Cardiff with high balls coming in and no time and space for Allen in midfield.

We also didn’t drop Sheaf, he got injured and that’s why he didn’t play towards the end of last season. When he was fit he played in all bar 7 games last year.

Sorry, you only asked for one didn’t you?

Plus Sheaf was never dropped for Allen anyway, he picked up a knock as Robins said.

Makes me laugh this whole "We were forced to buy him" stuff, we were no doubt "forced" to play him 30 times last season too 😂

Sick Boy

Sep 29, 2008
Verona, Italy
Plus Sheaf was never dropped for Allen anyway, he picked up a knock as Robins said.

Makes me laugh this whole "We were forced to buy him" stuff, we were no doubt "forced" to play him 30 times last season too 😂
Yeah, it’s just utter nonsense.

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011

We don't even know if the obligation was even met, but we bought him anyway.

NorthernWisdom

Apr 23, 2013
You're guilty of the same sort of reaching some posters respond to your posts with.
No ones blaming him for a 5-0 defeat, they're criticising his performance for the time he was on the pitch and hispart in the shambolic 5th goal.
He was poor yesterday, no doubt about it.

That still puts him as a step up on about 3-4 of the rest of the team, mind you!

The Philosopher

Jan 16, 2014

If you believe “picked up a knock” is always said in truth then I’ve a bridge to sell you.

Bright “picked up a knock”.

Sometimes it means “dropped for a bit”.

Users who are viewing this thread