Racism (1 Viewer)

Otis

So racism is prevalent in 6 year olds? It’s only adults who teach it them. Again, I say don’t mention a word about skin colour for years and it goes away. Can you no comprehend that, do you feel you must teach kids about the colour of skin because you are so open minded and clever.
I've said that I understand teaching it to 6 year olds is valid point to be raised.

It's the "time to move on" that more concerns me.

skybluetony176

Ok, so if the world did an experiment where no one mentioned to kids about racism or the skin colour for 20 years I can guarantee to racism would be virtually wiped out. The more you talk about it the more it will happen.
In which case can you explain why there’s racism? Because what you’re describing is the 20 years (and beyond) of the education system until very recently.

stay_up_skyblues

So racism is prevalent in 6 year olds? It’s only adults who teach it them. Again, I say don’t mention a word about skin colour for years and it goes away. Can you no comprehend that, do you feel you must teach kids about the colour of skin because you are so open minded and clever.

So given racism is prevalent and, based on your assessment, instilled in children by adults, does it not make sense to try and teach children otherwise so they can question or reject that racism when they see it?

napolimp

Saying racism doesn't exist outside "grandads" and a few online trolls is so disrespectful. Even if direct racism didn't still exist in society (which it most clearly does), minorities are still very much suffering from the consequences of centuries of systemic discrimination. Generational wealth is becoming the biggest factor in inequality between children, and that is not concentrated in minority communities.

What you're describing would only work if children experienced no racism outside school, but children as young as 6 will already be experiencing racism in one form or another, with many hearing stuff from their own bigoted parents.

Ian1779

What do people think about this. The mrs has just told me on Monday my 6 year old
Is going to be taught about black history. His close friends are Black Asian and Japanese. He only sees his friends as people. I think he’s going to come home asking questions that he shouldn’t even need to think about. Isn’t it about time we just stopped talking about it as this next generation do not even care what colour peoples skin is, it’s our generation making them think about it.
Black History Month: How Black History is taught in our schools - The Education Hub

DfE dictate the teaching of it.

Johnnythespider

A child of 6 with racist parents will already be forming racist opinions of their own, it will not be something a racist parent hides from their offspring, teaching them about black people's contribution to society and their oppression will not cause a child to be racist, why don't you ask to sit in on a couple of lessons and see what you think after, I'm over 50 by the way and not racist

Robinshio

A child of 6 with racist parents will already be forming racist opinions of their own, it will not be something a racist parent hides from their offspring, teaching them about black people's contribution to society and their oppression will not cause a child to be racist, why don't you ask to sit in on a couple of lessons and see what you think after, I'm over 50 by the way and not racist
we do need to talk about the history, but at 6, I would want a child to celebrate and understand life of today . Maybe a bit of modern social history, to show we are all the same etc, but why there are problems and issues in society
There is good and bad in every race / sex / sexual preference - so children should be taught to understand this, and the harm that discrimination can cause
So if kept at the right level for a 6 year old - then agreed, the only trouble i see with it is even within the teaching profession there will be a proportion who have their own agendas

Ian1779

So if kept at the right level for a 6 year old - then agreed, the only trouble i see with it is even within the teaching profession there will be a proportion who have their own agendas
Any actual evidence to support this assertion?

Sick Boy

we do need to talk about the history, but at 6, I would want a child to celebrate and understand life of today . Maybe a bit of modern social history, to show we are all the same etc, but why there are problems and issues in society
There is good and bad in every race / sex / sexual preference - so children should be taught to understand this, and the harm that discrimination can cause
What kind of agendas?

Nick

Administrator
Not sure about 6 year olds but have had no issue with my daughter learning about different cultures as she has growing up. As long as it doesn't start getting political then it's not really different to learning about Diwali and stuff.

6 is a bit too young though.

shmmeee

not rocket science, as in society there are racists, so there will be within teaching - just needs monitoring

Surely the way to do that is a clear and appropriate national curriculum for this stuff? You could say the same about Business and Economics teachers being right wing but no one’s up in arms they’re teaching the Laffer Curve with a straight face.

Hertsccfc

Not sure about 6 year olds but have had no issue with my daughter learning about different cultures as she has growing up. As long as it doesn't start getting political then it's not really different to learning about Diwali and stuff.

6 is a bit too young though.
What do you mean by political?

Nick

Administrator
It’s the definition of impossibility. How can you talk about black history and not be political. Unless you want to write out certain parts of black history. Which just defeats the point.

Yeah, I'm not sure 6 year olds need to have politics rammed down their throats.

Rights and wrongs, of course.

Hertsccfc

Genuinely don't know what the right age is for this but if we really want to tackle racism it gas to come from education and has to be political in your terms.

Nick

Administrator
Genuinely don't know what the right age is for this but if we really want to tackle racism it gas to come from education and has to be political in your terms.

Like I said, teach them the rights and wrongs but not sure you need Tony rocking up with his pie charts about Righty / Lefty when they are 6.

skybluetony176

Rammed down their throats? Strange angle to describe education. So how do you talk about the abolition of slavery without talking about politics? It was a political decision after all. How do you talk about Windrush without talking about the politics? Politics that’s still going on by the way because although the government agreed to a compensation package in 2018 people are still waiting for their compensation. What black history do you want to talk about exactly?

Nick

Administrator
Rammed down their throats? Strange angle to describe education. So how do you talk about the abolition of slavery without talking about politics? It was a political decision after all. How do you talk about Windrush without talking about the politics? Politics that’s still going on by the way because although the government agreed to a compensation package in 2018 people are still waiting for their compensation. What black history do you want to talk about exactly?

6 year olds will still be colouring in and learning to read Biff, Chip and Kipper. They are 6 ffs, I know you obsess over it but let kids be kids ffs.

Secondary school age, by all means get much more in depth.

skybluetony176

6 year olds will still be colouring in and learning to read Biff, Chip and Kipper. They are 6 ffs, I know you obsess over it but let kids be kids ffs.

I’m not sure what that’s even supposed to mean. If I was left to be a kid at six I wouldn’t have gone to school. I’m also not sure why you think that your kids are too stupid to learn about history at six years of age.

Nick

Administrator
I’m not sure what that’s even supposed to mean. If I was left to be a kid at six I wouldn’t have gone to school. I’m also not sure why you think that your kids are too stupid to learn about history at six years of age.
Funnily enough, my child is very advanced for her age. I still didn't feel the need to have her head filled with politics at 6.

It's not hard to understand what it means.

napolimp

See above comments. Kids will already be experiencing racism in some capacity at 6 y/o, so why is it too young to learn about it in school? Again, this only works if you genuinely believe racism no longer exists in society, so we don't have to worry about children being exposed to it.

Ian1779

It’s the definition of impossibility. How can you talk about black history and not be political. Unless you want to write out certain parts of black history. Which just defeats the point.
Maybe we should teach that black people accidentally fell into being slaves so not to offend the white slave owners nor make it political.

skybluetony176

Funnily enough, my child is very advanced for her age. I still didn't feel the need to have her head filled with politics at 6.

It's not hard to understand what it means.
So basically you’re saying it’s your problem not hers. Maybe the schools should offer a course for parents on black history ahead of teaching it to their children. Just the ones struggling like you that is.

shmmeee

Any kid that isn’t a Green voter aged 6 needs therapy. This is my only opinion on politics for 6 year olds.

Nick

Administrator
So basically you’re saying it’s your problem not hers. Maybe the schools should offer a course for parents on black history ahead of teaching it to their children. Just the ones struggling like you that is.

Not really struggling, have a look at your post history on here to see how you want to make everything about political views. I bet your kids were sat down at 3 and told who they were going to vote for and had a selection of MP leaflets to learn to read with.

There is no issue in bringing kids up from the very start knowing that racism is wrong, kids aren't born racist. My point is that you think it's a good idea to try and drill political stuff into 6 year old kids. It's too much.

Nick

Administrator
See above comments. Kids will already be experiencing racism in some capacity at 6 y/o, so why is it too young to learn about it in school? Again, this only works if you genuinely believe racism no longer exists in society, so we don't have to worry about children being exposed to it.

Read what I said, I absolutely think kids should be taught the rights and wrongs (by both parents and teachers) which obviously includes racism.

My issue was by trying to go in depth about politics with a 6 year old.

Otis

Read what I said, I absolutely think kids should be taught the rights and wrongs (by both parents and teachers) which obviously includes racism.

Yeah, it would be like talking to the current Tory cabinet.

Last edited:

Grendel

Not really struggling, have a look at your post history on here to see how you want to make everything about political views. I bet your kids were sat down at 3 and told who they were going to vote for and had a selection of MP leaflets to learn to read with.

There is no issue in bringing kids up from the very start knowing that racism is wrong, kids aren't born racist. My point is that you think it's a good idea to try and drill political stuff into 6 year old kids. It's too much.

Theyd have been told to vote for the Tory party and ukip then

skybluetony176

Parliament abolished slavery. Parliament agreed compensation to people due to the Windrush scandal explain why it was a scandal. Not sure what you mean by in depth. It’s seems pretty basic to me. Like I said, it sounds like your issue.

Como

Because we all know it is not a History issue.

Recently they had that fuss in the Canadian Parliament where they honoured the guy who was a member of the Waffen SS. As the title was being shown I was thinking, he is 98 so when did he fight and for whom. Took a few seconds to process it but presumably whoever had the bright idea of doing this had never learnt very basic Canadian history.

If you want to have History Months for everybody, you need a lot more months. 12 is not enough.

Users who are viewing this thread