Racism (1 Viewer)

hamertime

What do people think about this. The mrs has just told me on Monday my 6 year old
Is going to be taught about black history. His close friends are Black Asian and Japanese. He only sees his friends as people. I think he’s going to come home asking questions that he shouldn’t even need to think about. Isn’t it about time we just stopped talking about it as this next generation do not even care what colour peoples skin is, it’s our generation making them think about it.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

What do people think about this. The mrs has just told me on Monday my 6 year old
Is going to be taught about black history. His close friends are Black Asian and Japanese. He only sees his friends as people. I think he’s going to come home asking questions that he shouldn’t even need to think about. Isn’t it about time we just stopped talking about it as this next generation do not even care what colour peoples skin is, it’s our generation making them think about it.
Don't have a problem with it personally, if my kids come home asking questions i'll answer them. One of the key reasons to teach history is to explain the modern world more fully by describing its past and how it has come to be that way. If kids better understand that then hopefully there's a chance they'll be less likely to repeat mistakes made previously.

hamertime

Don't have a problem with it personally, if my kids come home asking questions i'll answer them. One of the key reasons to teach history is to explain the modern world more fully by describing its past and how it has come to be that way. If kids better understand that then hopefully there's a chance they'll be less likely to repeat mistakes made previously.
Yes but just call it history, why call it black history. It makes it a thing when they don’t even think like that.

hamertime

The thing is kids don’t care what colour people’s skin is, it’s the brain dead adults who brain wash them thinking they are being super intelligent explaining how things are. It has the opposite effect and starts the cycle again. When will we ever learn.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

The thing is kids don’t care what colour people’s skin is, it’s the brain dead adults who brain wash them thinking they are being super intelligent explaining how things are. It has the opposite effect and starts the cycle again. When will we ever learn.
This doesn't really make sense, racism has been a massive issue for a very long time and we certainly haven't been teaching 'black history' to 'brainwash' generations of children for all that time

hamertime

This doesn't really make sense, racism has been a massive issue for a very long time and we certainly haven't been teaching 'black history' to 'brainwash' generations of children for all that time
What I’m saying is kids at 6 don’t even see it as a thing, why teach them about it. Just let them be.

hamertime

Ok, so if the world did an experiment where no one mentioned to kids about racism or the skin colour for 20 years I can guarantee to racism would be virtually wiped out. The more you talk about it the more it will happen.

Nuskyblue

Ok, so if the world did an experiment where no one mentioned to kids about racism or the skin colour for 20 years I can guarantee to racism would be virtually wiped out. The more you talk about it the more it will happen.
I don't think it would, humans are predisposed to dislike eachother.

SlowerThanPlatt

So you’re of the belief schools are creating racist humans?

hamertime

I know, let’s teach 6 year olds that black people have a different history to white people so they think we are not the same. See where that gets you.

Otis

Surely, surely it's all about black people's contribution to science and culture and influence and a lot more, having been pretty much been erased from the history books in the past.

6 may seem a little young maybe, as kids that age tend not see colour and just see people, but still, I don't see what the big issue is.

Don't know why anyone would be opposed to learning about black history.

hamertime

Surely, surely it's all about black people's contribution to science and culture and influence and a lot more, having been pretty much been erased from the history books in the past.

6 may seem a little young maybe, as kids that age tend not see colour and just see people, but still, I don't see what the big issue is.

Don't know why anyone would be opposed to learning about black history.
But when does the day come when it’s just “people’s” contribution to science and culture. Why does it have to be white people or black people. When does it stop. Adults put this in kids, and this is it starting at 6 years of age.

Otis

But when does the day come when it’s just “people’s” contribution to science and culture. Why does it have to be white people or black people. When does it stop. Adults put this in kids, and this is it starting at 6 years of age.
Because black people are now being recognised, but in the last they weren't, so going forwards hopefully it should be more about people in general.

It's history. So telling a part of history that has previously been untaught.

It has been the same with the contribution of women in so many instances too.

It should just be about people, but the true story has not been told.

hamertime

But how long do you tell it for before you move on. The time is now, no one really cares about anything other than if people are good or not.

I don’t care what anyone says teaching 6 year old anything this deep is wrong.

Otis

But how long do you tell it for before you move on. The time is now, no one really cares about anything other than if people are good or not.

I don’t care what anyone says teaching 6 year old anything this deep is wrong.
Why is the time now? It's only recently that the contribution of black people within history has truly been told and we are still learning of the contributions they made.

I honestly don't see what the problem is. 🤷

hamertime

They haven’t had any other history lessons yet. It’s probably an agenda put forward by people who think they are progressive thinkers but in reality they are part of the problem. Kids couldn’t give a flying fuck about skin colour, teaching them at 6 they are not the same as their mates and have a different background starts the seed in my opinion. Seriously now who is racist, a few grandads and people over 50 and a few keyboard warriors.

robbiekeane

Black people and other historically oppressed races of people are still very much feeling the impact of hundreds of years of systemic discrimination. For this reason alone it is very important that we and our children are educated about the history of this as well as recognizing our privilege.

Yes it would be lovely if we got to a place in the world where we didn’t even have to mention it but to be blunt that’s so far away from reality it’s nonsensical and it’s just sticking your head in the sand. If your child’s close friends are ”Black Asian and Japanese” then don’t you feel like you have a duty to educate them about their friends histories, especially when it results in inherent disadvantages in recent generations and still today in a gamed system? I imagine your child would want to know.

Such an odd thing to be offended by to be honest

shmmeee

Yes but just call it history, why call it black history. It makes it a thing when they don’t even think like that.

Why call it British history or local history or medicine through time? You give the kids context for the scheme of work they’re doing.

Why does this trigger you so badly?

shmmeee

They haven’t had any other history lessons yet. It’s probably an agenda put forward by people who think they are progressive thinkers but in reality they are part of the problem. Kids couldn’t give a flying fuck about skin colour, teaching them at 6 they are not the same as their mates and have a different background starts the seed in my opinion. Seriously now who is racist, a few grandads and people over 50 and a few keyboard warriors.

You need to put the Mail down 🤣

Otis

And it's fine for him to have that opinion. I love Morgan Freeman, I do believe it's very much the minority opinion though. Show me how many other black people are saying that. If most black people believed that, we wouldn't be having Black History Month would we.

I don't quite understand what it is you are bothered about anyway. You talk about teaching it to 6 year olds and whether that is appropriate or not and that is a fair point, but then at the same time you saying it's time to "move on." That's not about 6 year olds at all is it.

Racism is still very, very prevalent and not how you have just described it.

hamertime

And it's fine for him to have that opinion. I love Morgan Freeman, I do believe it's very much the minority opinion though. Show me how many other black people are saying that. If most black people believed that, we wouldn't be having Black History Month would we.

I don't quite understand what it is you are bothered about anyway. You talk about teaching it to 6 year olds and whether that is appropriate or not and that is a fair point, but then at the same time you saying it's time to "move on." That's not about 6 year olds at all is it.

Racism is still very, very prevalent and not how you have just described it.

So racism is prevalent in 6 year olds? It’s only adults who teach it them. Again, I say don’t mention a word about skin colour for years and it goes away. Can you no comprehend that, do you feel you must teach kids about the colour of skin because you are so open minded and clever.

Users who are viewing this thread