Pressley blames the pitch (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

If he wants to play slow build up, high posession football, then the squad needs a major overhaul
The thing is for this you need to have high quality attacking players as you are giving the opposition time to get behind the ball and regain there shape.

At least when you get it forward a bit quicker you give your attacking players a bit more space on the ball, which our forward players need as they aren't very good. Not long ball but just working the ball into the strikers feet or down the flanks faster than we are at the moment.

logjoe

I came away from the game absolutely fuming. Shrewsbury and Walsall didn't create this much anger. Yes i will agree the game shouldn't have gone ahead and the pitch was piss poor but this tactic of passing to create an opening didn't work. but we don't seem to able to do anything different. I cannot see what we gained out of bringing on ball if you saw his shooting prior to the game he didn't net one just like the bury team which since i have come to use as a barometer of how good that player or team will be. The reluctance to use the allocation of subs which crawley did. The players constantly bunching up in the middle of the park and not using the flanks which when we did started to get the results of getting the ball in the 18 yard box but then to have the players trying to walk the ball in the net instead of shooting just frustrated every fan to the point of distraction. Long thread but just thought getting the frustration out on the keyboard might feel better.

ccfcway

The thing is for this you need to have high quality attacking players QUOTE]

I know I have sky blue glasses on, but surely a 5 man midfield of

Moussa----Fleck----Jennings----Baker----Bell

There cant be too many better in this league ?

ccfcway

I came away from the game absolutely fuming. Shrewsbury and Walsall didn't create this much anger. Yes i will agree the game shouldn't have gone ahead and the pitch was piss poor but this tactic of passing to create an opening didn't work. but we don't seem to able to do anything different. I cannot see what we gained out of bringing on ball if you saw his shooting prior to the game he didn't net one just like the bury team which since i have come to use as a barometer of how good that player or team will be. The reluctance to use the allocation of subs which crawley did. The players constantly bunching up in the middle of the park and not using the flanks which when we did started to get the results of getting the ball in the 18 yard box but then to have the players trying to walk the ball in the net instead of shooting just frustrated every fan to the point of distraction. Long thread but just thought getting the frustration out on the keyboard might feel better.

honestly, you all deserve a bloody medal for going, was never going to be anything other than a defeat

Wilson up front on his own ???

logjoe

honestly, you all deserve a bloody medal for going, was never going to be anything other than a defeat

Wilson up front on his own ???

Yes good point he chased around but on his own was hard for him with LC they could be better

sky_blue_up_north

Bell will get injuried,Fleck is to fat, Mooussa won't get picked, Jenning I actully like him in the holding rol! Baker player of the saeson, great Captain.

logjoe

I never thought i would say this but i miss leon. I always had the impression that we could cope with his absence but alas i am defeated

Tad

The pitch...Really? He's stooping to that level?

skybluegod

Bell will get injuried,Fleck is to fat, Mooussa won't get picked, Jenning I actully like him in the holding rol! Baker player of the saeson, great Captain.

Bell has been unlucky with injuries, fleck isn't fat people just make that up, moussa has played almost 45 games for us this season.

logjoe

Player of the season yep agreed but if you saw him today he lacked the touch still think his injury is playing him up came back to early. Since the crewe game i feel he leads by example instead of rallying the players. Felt he should have reigned stuart in complaining all the time.

stupot07

The thing is for this you need to have high quality attacking players QUOTE]

I know I have sky blue glasses on, but surely a 5 man midfield of

Moussa----Fleck----Jennings----Baker----Bell

There cant be too many better in this league ?

Moussa's not a left winger, the other 4 have no pace, only Jennings can actually tackle, fleck likes to play too deep, Moussa, fleck, baker and bell all disappear from games for large periods. Will baker get the same amount of space placing inside? Lots of question marks on that midfield to me....which players are gonna get up into the box or close to the striker?

When was the last time Moussa had a good game?

When was the last time a midfielder ran beyond the striker?

Last edited:

ccfcway

Moussa's not a left winger, the other 4 have no pace, only Jennings can actually tackle, fleck likes to play too deep, Moussa, fleck, baker and bell all disappear from games for large periods. Will baker get the same amount of space placing inside? Lots of question marks on that midfield to me....which players are gonna get up into the box or close to the striker?

When was the last time Moussa had a good game?

When was the last time a midfielder ran beyond the striker?

we havent actually had a striker for the past few games

Sutty

Thorn, Robins and Pressley have almost identical records in their first 8 games as CCFC manager. A classic case of the sample size problem.

Also, Pressley has had to deal with injuries to key players, a 10 point deduction, demotivated players due to having nothing to play for, all during the time he's trying to get his new ideas across. In addition he's having to assess players without even knowing if he can give them new contracts or not!

I'm not even going to look at his tactics or substitutions or team selections for the last 2 games. He's going to be here next season whether we like it or not so let's see what he can do with a full pre-season working with (hopefully) a squad he's been able to shape himself.

dongonzalos

Crazy!

I will be the first to admit when I heard we got Pressely I thought. This is the level SISU are playing at. A bloke who made Falkirk not as bad as they should be.
Basically he introduced youngsters Waggot says that is the future for us and so he got the job.

Unfortunately IMO opinion there is a world of difference between the footballer he will be dealing with at Coventry and the the kids he had at Falkirk..

However we have had the second most managers since 1992 and most underachieving teams have similar manager turnovers to us.

Pressley has not signed a single player himself he has a squad signed by about 8 different people.

Each manager would have signed each player with a different vision of how they would have fitted into their system of play.

Thorn for example got better results with Colemans squad than Bothroyd did as they had the same football style.

He then got three games with his own squad.

Robins added his own spice and got good results.

Pressley inherited this on top of our farcical owners running of the club.

Leading to mid table mediocracy. Also Pressley wants them to work like demons. Yet with nothing to play for and the thought of finding a new club. I get the feeling most of them think they have nothing to learn from him.

If we are forced the play the kids next season maybe Pressley will come into his element.

However judging a manager in these circumstances is a joke.

Attitudes like that are the prime reason we have a comedy record of manager turnover

SkyBlue_Bear83

I accept he needs time and can't really be judged to next season, it's just frustrating when we have a great away form and then the tactics are altered and the great away form become absolutely decimated.

SkyBlueSwiss

Thought Pressley was a bad choice when he was appointed. Not convinced that he can make the change from Scottish to English football (very different style of play, different thought processes).
I think his lack of knowledge of English football is being shown up, quite apart from the fact that he seems totally one-dimensional in tactics and style of play. I too find his excuses annoying.

If we are to get new owners, the thing to do would be to fire him while we are still under administration, then his contract would get lumped together with the other footballing debt (as would AT's and any other ex-managers we are still paying off!). Not sure if this would mean a cheaper settlement, though. Does anyone here know about the rules of paying off sacked managers under administration?

Grendel

Thought Pressley was a bad choice when he was appointed. Not convinced that he can make the change from Scottish to English football (very different style of play, different thought processes).
I think his lack of knowledge of English football is being shown up, quite apart from the fact that he seems totally one-dimensional in tactics and style of play. I too find his excuses annoying.

If we are to get new owners, the thing to do would be to fire him while we are still under administration, then his contract would get lumped together with the other footballing debt (as would AT's and any other ex-managers we are still paying off!). Not sure if this would mean a cheaper settlement, though. Does anyone here know about the rules of paying off sacked managers under administration?

So you express disgust and outrage at not paying the landlord but would love a way of getting rid of the manager through a cheaper method if possible.

Unbelievable.

psgm1

Banned
Crazy!

I will be the first to admit when I heard we got Pressely I thought. This is the level SISU are playing at. A bloke who made Falkirk not as bad as they should be.
Basically he introduced youngsters Waggot says that is the future for us and so he got the job.

Unfortunately IMO opinion there is a world of difference between the footballer he will be dealing with at Coventry and the the kids he had at Falkirk..

However we have had the second most managers since 1992 and most underachieving teams have similar manager turnovers to us.

Pressley has not signed a single player himself he has a squad signed by about 8 different people.

Each manager would have signed each player with a different vision of how they would have fitted into their system of play.

Thorn for example got better results with Colemans squad than Bothroyd did as they had the same football style.

He then got three games with his own squad.

Robins added his own spice and got good results.

Pressley inherited this on top of our farcical owners running of the club.

Leading to mid table mediocracy. Also Pressley wants them to work like demons. Yet with nothing to play for and the thought of finding a new club. I get the feeling most of them think they have nothing to learn from him.

If we are forced the play the kids next season maybe Pressley will come into his element.

However judging a manager in these circumstances is a joke.

Attitudes like that are the prime reason we have a comedy record of manager turnover

Why does it matter how many managers city have had before Pressley? How does that affect Pressley's performance? Any manager who sticks to just one formation or tactic regardless of squad available or pitch conditions, or opposition's tactics does not have the flexibility required to be successful at any level!

If city had 50 managers or just 1 is irrelevant. Pressley should be assessed only on his own abilities or lack of. it is such a ridiculous argument to say we cannot say he is bad because city have changed manager so often! All thatshows is the inability of the owners to find a good manager!

If you are on a pitch where the passing game is not possible, then it is narrow minded and just plain wrong to stick to the passing game! You play to your strengths!

This is true at all levels of football. It is so simple Pressley should be embarrassed that the just cannot do it!

It was utter madness to sign him on such a long contract. Clearly been listening to a certain radio host, as no one in their right mind would have given such a long contract - It is going to cost the club so much it is ridiculous

The CableGuy

You thought have thought that by now, we would be giving every manager 1-year rolling contracts.

If there's any club that should be doing that, its CCFC.

Waldorf

Play to your strengths? Just what would those be on a pitch like that? You wouldn't have Ball presumably, since he has a poor scoring record. McDonald? McSheffrey? They'd be wonderful with the high balls wouldn't they.

covboy1987

Simple answer to all of this Pressley will not be here if we are taken over, and an experienced manager will be brought in! If SISU retain power Pressley will still be here, and he will go for youth as he seen by his experimenting and tinkering in last couple of matches and the fact that in his defence 7 of the Falkirk team that played so well yesterday in Scottish semi final are from the Falkirk academy that he brought through as falkirk also have no money and this is the main reason SISU employed him. We are potentially are too big a club for that type of building and experimenting and the fans clearly and rightly expect more with the size of our city and our history, and we have not got the patience to wait while we play before home crowds of 4,000 to 5,000. Pressley obviously has been told at previous interviews that the youth is the future of this club and that the wage bill be slashed accordingly in the summer, and all of our top earning players will be sold. SISU plans are so obvious it's unreal and also expect even more youth players in the team for the last few matches

Sutty

Barcelona recently named an entire starting XI of academy graduates. I'm not saying we should be going that far but there's nothing small-time about youth development.

The club has been badly mismanaged in just about every way for 20 years. It's a long-term problem which needs a long-term solution. How can we implement a long-term plan if we're firing managers who don't get instant success? There is so much short-termism in English football and it's stifling the game's development.

ccfc92

maybe we could be the next Crewe? :whistle:

that :jerkit: always seem to bleat on about how amazing Crewe's academy is :facepalm:

SBT

So you express disgust and outrage at not paying the landlord but would love a way of getting rid of the manager through a cheaper method if possible.

Unbelievable.

Maybe he's only disgusted by business practices that are, y'know, illegal. Just a thought.

dongonzalos

Why does it matter how many managers city have had before Pressley? How does that affect Pressley's performance? Any manager who sticks to just one formation or tactic regardless of squad available or pitch conditions, or opposition's tactics does not have the flexibility required to be successful at any level!

If city had 50 managers or just 1 is irrelevant. Pressley should be assessed only on his own abilities or lack of. it is such a ridiculous argument to say we cannot say he is bad because city have changed manager so often! All thatshows is the inability of the owners to find a good manager!

If you are on a pitch where the passing game is not possible, then it is narrow minded and just plain wrong to stick to the passing game! You play to your strengths!

This is true at all levels of football. It is so simple Pressley should be embarrassed that the just cannot do it!

It was utter madness to sign him on such a long contract. Clearly been listening to a certain radio host, as no one in their right mind would have given such a long contract - It is going to cost the club so much it is ridiculous

The point about Pressley's performance is you are judging him too early.

The point about our turn over of managers is that it is one of the reasons we have had no consistency and no stability and hence no success.

People suggesting Pressley should go this soon = embarrassing and shows it is not just because of clueless owners why we have had no stability in this area.

Last edited:

Grendel

The point about our turn over of managers is that it is one of the reasons we have had no consistency and no stability and hence no success.

People suggesting Pressley should go this soon = embarrassing and shows it is not just because of clueless owners why we have had no stability in this area.

Chelsea have had 10 managers in ten years. Southampton and Qpr also and all have had some success. If Pressley fails to deliver next season he will be out by Christmas, that's if we even start with him.

motherfunky

He hasn't got a clue, can't sense when it's time to change things. Negative, boring tactics. No threat to opposition playing 4-5-1. Not with the squad we have. No pace either in the squad.

Grendel

The other albatross for Pressley is he will be seen as a SISU man -- the last appointment. He has no chance.

Users who are viewing this thread