Population = Potential - Owners/Investors Please Note (1 Viewer)

georgehudson

it would take in parts of, yes, & there are many who would be with ccfc

Mucca Mad Boys

compared to the likes of leicester yes. but in cardiff, which is on place above us, evryone supports cardiff. in cov, say 10% at most?

In Cardiff, Cardiff FC wasn't that popular, compared to now, I remember, I think Risdale, saying it was sad seeing Welsh people wearing Man U, Chelsea shirts etc. - bit of success gets bums on seats, our CCFC have not had something to shout about for, well, at least for s long I've supported them.

The Penguin

In Cardiff, Cardiff FC wasn't that popular, compared to now, I remember, I think Risdale, saying it was sad seeing Welsh people wearing Man U, Chelsea shirts etc. - bit of success gets bums on seats, our CCFC have not had something to shout about for, well, at least for s long I've supported them.

Not just success - even if there was a whiff of positivity about the place, I think people would be more supportive.

As it stands though the club has the stench of failure emanating from its every pore. It's no wonder that it's only the truly hardcore that are left attending every week.

Waldorf

You really need to talk about catchment area rather than just what's in or outside the city. Ours won't go far up the M69 or the A45, because of the location of Leicester, Villa & Blues, but if you go south, then there's really only Northampton that's anywhere near. You could almost say our catchment area goes as far as Oxford. That's pretty big, when it comes to potential supporters.

Of course, you need some consistent success to realise that potential.

(By the way, as someone who was born in Nottingham, I can confirm that while West Bridgeford is not technically in the city, Nottingham people will all tell you it's part.)

I don't agree at all. Coventry population fell out with Coventry football a long time ago and since Sky and the birth of rich takeovers we have lost a generation of support.

Mucca Mad Boys

Not just success - even if there was a whiff of positivity about the place, I think people would be more supportive.

As it stands though the club has the stench of failure emanating from its every pore. It's no wonder that it's only the truly hardcore that are left attending every week.

Exactly, just look at how many people turned up when we first moved the RICOH, 24k.

bigfatronssba

Move to the Ricoh encouraged some of the lost fans back up there, then because the season was half decent a lot of those fans stuck with the club for a few years, but over time they were let down again.

Averaging over 20k when Kevin Kyle was our main goalscorer shows how well we could be supported.

WFC

It's an interesting subject. Population does give you potential but there are so many other factors that come in. Even where within your area the stadium is located can have an effect. Interestingly the population of Wolverhampton and Walsall are very similar but look at the difference in support of the clubs.

Some form of history, success or sustained hope of success is a very big factor. Particularly if you are surrounded by many other clubs which are historically more successful like with us and you could argue to a certain extent yourselves maybe.

Demographics play their part, I discussed the Asian market with our CEO a couple of years ago as a market we would dearly love to tap into but it's very difficult as there is a history of being more interested in other sports like cricket. We did try things, played a friendly against the Indian national team a few years back, had a young local Asian lad on the books coming through the youth system, have an Asian food company sponsoring our family stand and push the stadium venue for Asian events. As I say very difficult to crack though. They simply don't have a lot of role models within the game from their community in this country and the historic race hate issues from years gone by haven't helped this.

With football so expensive now, disposable income in the area plays a part particularly in the current economic climate.

Interestingly stadium location plays a part. Our stadium is located right on the border with Wednesbury which borders West Brom and falls in their catchment area. There is an agreement between clubs that they will not do promotional work within schools in other clubs areas. This means that although there is a school just in Wednesbury that you can actually see our stadium from we are not allowed to do any community work in it where as we can in schools right over the other sides of our area but those schools are actually geographically at least as near if not nearer to clubs like Wolves and Aston Villa and so they are more drawn to them.

When talking to our commercial director a while back he said that although our stadium is excellently placed to exploit commercial opportunities in footballing terms it's really in completely the wrong place to draw support from Walsall.

Population does offer potential but there are so many other factors it's not quite as simple as that.

Our one saving grace is that with our growing Polish population in the country we should be o.k, after all surely they should all be supporting Warsaw:D

Last edited:

Greggs

Polish bloke by me that brings his 3 kids every week. Magnificent!

WFC

Polish bloke by me that brings his 3 kids every week. Magnificent!

Yep, the poles like their football. Some families have a real connection with areas in the Midlands as well due to some free polish soldiers being in the area during the war.

Brighton Sky Blue

Brighton's another good case in point-until recently the only league club in the county and a catchment area stretching a good 15-20 miles in each direction. The Amex was expanded to 30,500 last summer and with a successful team on the pitch they're still having sell-outs and the waiting list for season tickets is even bigger than last season. A remarkable transformation over just a few years and shows the power that lies in a good football team with a wide catchment.

That the ground is right next to a train station helps in this considerably (cough get it built at the Ricoh cough).

Paxman II

All of this depends on where you get your information from, the so called 'Greater City' or catchment areas play a huge part.

For example what's the catchment or great City area of Manchester? Greater Manchester as often referred to would include the likes of Oldham even! Would they support Man Utd? No.
I very much think the vast majority of support comes from within the City boundaries and little from 'catchment' areas.

We pull in easily 30+k mostly all from within the City. Leicester's demographic suggest they pull in more from their catchment as do Norwich.

Waldorf

All of this depends on where you get your information from, the so called 'Greater City' or catchment areas play a huge part.

For example what's the catchment or great City area of Manchester? Greater Manchester as often referred to would include the likes of Oldham even! Would they support Man Utd? No.
I very much think the vast majority of support comes from within the City boundaries and little from 'catchment' areas.

We pull in easily 30+k mostly all from within the City. Leicester's demographic suggest they pull in more from their catchment as do Norwich.

I think you'll find most Mancs support City. I've only ever met on Man Utd fans who was born in Manchester. Old Trafford is actually in Salford, not the local authority area of Manchester. (Bit like Forest & West Bridgeford) United's success has been to turn themselves into a worldwide "brand".
By the way Oldham would be most upset if you said they were part of Manchester!

Users who are viewing this thread