Population = Potential - Owners/Investors Please Note (1 Viewer)

Samo

Our underachievment in recent years is highlighted by the following list of UK Cities and their populations. It may be slightly out of date but still relevant;

http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/

We are not alone of course but when you look at some of the cities below us on the list you must surely conclude that we could, should and, with the right investment, WILL be bigger, better supported and far more successful.

Do you agree?

My apologies if this has been done before.

ccfc92

Our underachievment in recent years is highlighted by the following list of UK Cities and their populations. It may be slightly out of date but still relevant;

http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/

We are not alone of course but when you look at some of the cities below us on the list you must surely conclude that we could, should and, with the right investment, WILL be bigger, better supported and far more successful.

Do you agree?

My apologies if this has been done before.

compared to the likes of leicester yes. but in cardiff, which is on place above us, evryone supports cardiff. in cov, say 10% at most?

stupot07

You've also got to take into account how diverse our is now. You should have a look at the 2011 census compared with 2001 - in 10 years the demographics of the city have gone from 79% white British in 2001 to 66.6% in 2011. Nothing wrong with that, but does point to the fact that there are a lo of people new to the city and as such wont have the same affinity to our club.

ccfc92

You've also got to take into account how diverse our is now. You should have a look at the 2011 census compared with 2001 - in 10 years the demographics of the city have gone from 79% white British in 2001 to 66.6% in 2011. Nothing wrong with that, but does point to the fact that there are a lo of people new to the city and as such wont have the same affinity to our club.

although it is nice to see some bricks at the ricoh that have foreign names on them, shows that some people try to affiliate with their fellow citizens

ccfc92

Completely agree.

also met a sikh at one game, who moved to england when he was younger, who bought his two lads along, he said that they would only ever support cov, which is also good to see. easy for foreign people to follow man u etc

Samo

compared to the likes of leicester yes. but in cardiff, which is on place above us, evryone supports cardiff. in cov, say 10% at most?

You may be right but I do think the lapsed are many, as evidenced by the recent Crewe game. And with a degree of success a whole new generation could grow up Sky Blue. As I say... potential

ccfc92

You may be right but I do think the lapsed are many, as evidenced by the recent Crewe game. And with a degree of success a whole new generation could grow up Sky Blue. As I say... potential

i get what your saying, but the likes of cardiff, newcastle, leeds, pretty much all the population support their club. whereas in cov, you have cov, brum, lesta fans. then the glory hunting ones.

bigfatronssba

The thing you have to remember when looking at these population figures is that they only include the local authority area, not the whole city.

Nottingham for instance is far bigger than that suggests, Forest don't actually play their games in Nottingham.

ccfc92

The thing you have to remember when looking at these population figures is that they only include the local authority area, not the whole city.

Nottingham for instance is far bigger than that suggests, Forest don't actually play their games in Nottingham.

we are screwed then, playing in Nuneaton ;)

Ashdown1

It is a very good point this, the City for years has had a wide mix of people. For years it was Irish, Scots and Geordies with affinities elsewhere but now it could be anyone from a hundred different countries. Although its very different there is a marked Polish support now at the Coventry Bees who of course have a few Polish riders, maybe a few footballers from Poland/Africa/Far East Asia might attract a greater mix from ethnic communities??

stupot07

But we do play within the Coventry local authority area, which is the whole city.

bigfatronssba

But we do play within the Coventry local authority area, which is the whole city.

Not quite, places like Brandon, Binley Woods, Exhall are all considered to be in Coventry but not under the local authority. Forest play in West Bridgeford, one of the many suburbs of Nottingham not part of the city authority.

Coventry has very little surrounding area so is a much smaller city than Nottingham.

stupot07

Not quite, places like Brandon, Binley Woods, Exhall are all considered to be in Coventry but not under the local authority. Forest play in West Bridgeford, one of the many suburbs of Nottingham not part of the city authority.

Coventry has very little surrounding area so is a much smaller city than Nottingham.

I have no idea why exhall, is classed as Coventry, it is quite clearly Bedworth. And Brandon and binley woods are small villages in Warwickshire.

Last edited:

Samo

Very little surrounding area? Surely with success we would be pulling support from all over Warwickshire?

bigfatronssba

I have no idea why exhall, is classed as Coventry, it is quite clearly Bedworth. And Brandon and binley woods are small villages in Warwickshire.

Ignoring man made boundary lines, Brandon is about as much of a village as Allesley. The fact you can walk from Broadgate to the Speedway stadium without seeing a bit of countryside suggests to me its part of Coventry.

stupot07

Ignoring man made boundary lines, Brandon is about as much of a village as Allesley. The fact you can walk from Broadgate to the Speedway stadium without seeing a bit of countryside suggests to me its part of Coventry.

500 people live Brandon so it hardly makes a difference.

hill83

Forest do play their games in Nottingham.

bigfatronssba

Very little surrounding area? Surely with success we would be pulling support from all over Warwickshire?

I agree, but that is the same as all clubs. Most of Leicester's support comes from Leicestershire, not Leicester, in the same way that much of ours comes from Bedworth, Rugby and Nuneaton.

Fact is the people who live in the surrounding areas are more likely to have lived round here longer than the people in the city, and that is the same accross the country.

Your right that with success most of Warwickshire would support us, I was only pointing out that the population of our area is not as high as figures can sometimes suggest.

stupot07

I agree, but that is the same as all clubs. Most of Leicester's support comes from Leicestershire, not Leicester, in the same way that much of ours comes from Bedworth, Rugby and Nuneaton.

Fact is the people who live in the surrounding areas are more likely to have lived round here longer than the people in the city, and that is the same accross the country.

Your right that with success most of Warwickshire would support us, I was only pointing out that the population of our area is not as high as figures can sometimes suggest.

We need to stop singing "in our coventry homes"...

bigfatronssba

500 people live Brandon so it hardly makes a difference.

I know, it was also the point that I was trying to get across (yet got myself distracted!).

Coventry's outer areas have a far lower population than many so called 'comparable' cities.

bigfatronssba

We need to stop singing "in our coventry homes"...

You don't think much of our support comes from outside the city?

I think as a % of the population more of our fans come from Bedworth than Cov.

bigfatronssba

Which is an area of Nottingham. Like we (hopefully) play in Foleshill.

Its not, its a seperate town, the figures the OP posted showing Nottingham having a population of 285k does not include places like West Bridgeford.

Yes when you go to the City Ground it feels like Nottingham, but in terms of the figures its not classed as it.

stupot07

You don't think much of our support comes from outside the city?

I think as a % of the population more of our fans come from Bedworth than Cov.
Yes I do. I would say at least half does.

But being part of ccfc catchment area and being part of Coventry is two different things.

Last edited:

hill83

Its not, its a seperate town, the figures the OP posted showing Nottingham having a population of 285k does not include places like West Bridgeford.

Yes when you go to the City Ground it feels like Nottingham, but in terms of the figures its not classed as it.

See my edit!

bigfatronssba

Actually, you're almost setting a case for moving the club outside the city... ;)

Well my counter argument for that is Coventry is centrally located for all our fans!

georgehudson

what is the population within a 20 mile radius of the ricoh ?
given that a minimum 4% would be there to follow the team = ?

bigfatronssba

<p>
Wouldn't that take in Birmingham and Leicester?

Certainly parts of it. Border with Leicestershire is only about 10 miles from the Ricoh.

Users who are viewing this thread