New number one needed (34 Viewers)

PVA

Nitpicking. We gave a premier league full back all the time and space in the world to pick out an unmarked player in the middle. To blame it on the keeper is a witch hunt.

I'm not sure pointing out a keeper shouldn't have dived over the ball is nitpicking.

The cross should have been stopped, it wasn't. Collins should have intercepted it, he didn't. McTominay should have been marked, he wasn't.

All of those things can be true.

skybluecam

Wilson is a non starter now really, he’s a massive downgrade with the ball at his feet which is clearly important to how Robins wants to play. Fine as a backup in case of injury.

MalcSB

I’ve been back through most of the highlights of games Collins has played in - benefit of not only retired but also a pedant. Believe me, it is worse for me, I have to put up with myself all the time, this forum only has to occasionally.

Ive got up to 8 which probably is about 20% of the goals he has conceded.

Need an upgrade.

Last edited:

shmmeee

So he finished the season as their number 1, is that right or are we splitting hairs?

He did. But he’s never made himself undroppable like most decent keepers. He’s always been in and out the side. The only time he’s played the majority of games in a season at any club was Barnsley’s relegation season.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think he'll see it as more of a priority than replacing Eccles which you keep going on about.

Your defence of Collins is as weird as your targeting of Eccles.

Not defending Collins at all. Every player is replaceable and as we move up the levels, we need to continually improve it we get left behind. It’s a ruthless business.

With Kelly leaving, we will be signing a CM and Robins won’t be signing just a back up. That would be against the concept of continuous improvement.

With Wilson and Collins under contract, we’re not going to sign a 3rd keep when we have 3-4 positions where we don’t sufficient cover.

Unless Wilson or Collins go, it’s not a position we’ll look at spending significant sums on. Going into 2025-26 is a more realistic timeframe.

All this talk of a strong spine with the subtext of replacing Collins, I’ll lay out our depth issues below going into 2024/25:
- 2 GKs
- 2 CBs
- 3 CMs
- 2 AMs
- 2 STs

These players have to play around 50 games in a season and to be in the Top 6 we can’t have players at 70-80% freshness.

As a bare minimum you need 1-2 signings in each area outside of GK. What’s our plan if Simms and Wright get injured? Or Thomas & Kitching? Or Torp and Eccles?

Hertsccfc

Not defending Collins at all. Every player is replaceable and as we move up the levels, we need to continually improve it we get left behind. It’s a ruthless business.

With Kelly leaving, we will be signing a CM and Robins won’t be signing just a back up. That would be against the concept of continuous improvement.

With Wilson and Collins under contract, we’re not going to sign a 3rd keep when we have 3-4 positions where we don’t sufficient cover.

Unless Wilson or Collins go, it’s not a position we’ll look at spending significant sums on. Going into 2025-26 is a more realistic timeframe.

All this talk of a strong spine with the subtext of replacing Collins, I’ll lay out our depth issues below going into 2024/25:
- 2 GKs
- 2 CBs
- 3 CMs
- 2 AMs
- 2 STs

These players have to play around 50 games in a season and to be in the Top 6 we can’t have players at 70-80% freshness.

As a bare minimum you need 1-2 signings in each area outside of GK. What’s our plan if Simms and Wright get injured? Or Thomas & Kitching? Or Torp and Eccles?
We need more squad depth. That is something we both agree on. I think we need to be flexible and use the loan market and not rigidly stick to the model if we want to progress at any speed. Otherwise we will always be developing and selling players once they become good and progress is so gradual. Also you end up with players like Collins on long contracts which is wasteful.

On the midfield we have three really good players, and yes that includes Eccles. Kelly was fine last night and Allen should be fit next season. Latibeaudiere can also cover as can Burroughs and Andrews is a prospect. Palmer also played in that role for Jamaica. So it is by far our strongest area in terms of depth.

Meanwhile we don't have one decent goalkeeper. So this is obviously the top priority as we can't continue to let in ridiculous goals virtually every match. On reflection this is a bit harsh on Wilson but we do need better if we are to progress as a team. Goalkeeper is a really important position and five mistakes in six games is what has killed our play off chances.

Mucca Mad Boys

We need more squad depth. That is something we both agree on. I think we need to be flexible and use the loan market and not rigidly stick to the model if we want to progress at any speed.

On the midfield we have three really good players, and yes that includes Eccles. Kelly was fine last night and Allen should be fit next season. Latibeaudiere can also cover as can Burroughs and Andrews is a prospect. So it is by far our strongest area in terms of depth.

We don't have one decent goalkeeper. So this is obviously the top priority as we can't continue to let in ridiculous goals virtually every match. On reflection this is a bit harsh on Wilson but we do need better if we are to progress as a team. Goalkeeper is a really important position and five mistakes in six games is what has killed our play off chances.

This is where I disagree strongly. If you watched last night, as soon as Sheaf went off we lost our ability to progress the ball - a lot of side-to-side passing.

It’s not our strongest area of depth at all. If we’re in a position where we require Lati and Burroughs end up playing CM for us, something has gone horribly wrong.

We’ll see in the summer but our resident ITKs seem to think our focus is on the areas I’ve said rather than LB and GK as you say.

If Ben Wilson can win the golden glove, it tells you that your defensive resilience comes from the outfield players. If the defence was key to that [and not Wilson] then the opposite is true in relation to our lack of clean sheets.

Boicey

gonna call it and say Collins will be #1 next season and will be absolutely fine... no need for a panic replacement
The guy just cost us a really important game, has been repeatedly weak and dodgy and has got worse if anything.
I doubt defenders have any confidence in him defending a corner or coming off his line to help the defence or dealing with a back pass.
A weak indecisive keeper just drains confidence.

David O'Day

What I don’t get is robins rightly or wrongly ruthlessly bombed out Marosi then Moore who had both had good spells

Wilson’s goal led a charmed life and he did well to a point but he was never the man

Collins looks worse than all 3

the third goal is unforgivable
The first is far, far, far worse

David O'Day

I’d say anyone wanting Collins to continue in goal after last night is a head case. Played like he was pissed ffs.
Anyone wanting Wilson back could be the same given the level of shite he has been. Preston away he almost let in an even worse one than Collins did last night.

Baggies at home, he looked like he'd never seen a football before.

Preston at home, he wasn't the only one but his performance was a war crime.

Wilson isn't the solution to anything unless it is the question "Can a really good defence make a keeper look much better?"

Boicey

Sadly I doubt MR will bring in a new #1 keeper. He’s a stubborn guy and it would be embarrassing to ask for another keeper (ahead of someone just brought in on a 3 year contract to do that). Especially after being quite open about the lack of squad depth re outfield players.
I hope I’m surprised because we’ve endured too many years of flappy, weak kneed keepers who undermine the really hard work and development put in elsewhere.
It would be a breath of fresh air to get a big, gobby keeper prepared to crack a few skulls (not literally).

David O'Day

Sadly I doubt MR will bring in a new #1 keeper. He’s a stubborn guy and it would be embarrassing to ask for another keeper (ahead of someone just brought in on a 3 year contract to do that). Especially after being quite open about the lack of squad depth re outfield players.
I hope I’m surprised because we’ve endured too many years of flappy, weak kneed keepers who undermine the really hard work and development put in elsewhere.
It would be a breath of fresh air to get a big, gobby keeper prepared to crack a few skulls (not literally).
He brought in Collins while Moore was still about.

He ditched Marosi quickly

Other players like Grimmer etc, he is quick to change players.

ccfcricoh

The guy just cost us a really important game, has been repeatedly weak and dodgy and has got worse if anything.
I doubt defenders have any confidence in him defending a corner or coming off his line to help the defence or dealing with a back pass.
A weak indecisive keeper just drains confidence.
We're 8th in the league and got to the FA cup semi final, after losing arguably the best 2 players in the league last year.

we've hardly had a stinker have we, i wouldnt say we have been lacking confidence

Boicey

We're 8th in the league and got to the FA cup semi final, after losing arguably the best 2 players in the league last year.

we've hardly had a stinker have we, i wouldnt say we have been lacking confidence
I presume you are a WUM. Talking about the keeper and our repeatedly shaky defence prone to howlers. We’ve had a poor year at the back. A new quality keeper would make a big difference to giving them some leadership and settling them down.

Mucca Mad Boys

I presume you are a WUM. Talking about the keeper and our repeatedly shaky defence prone to howlers. We’ve had a poor year at the back. A new quality keeper would make a big difference to giving them some leadership and settling them down.
We’re conceded the 7th least goals in the league and the only teams above us with a better GA record is Leicester, Leeds, Ipswich and WBA. Hardly a ‘poor year’.

Out attack is the 6th best so our attack and defensive records are similar.

Offhegoes

Collins has been at fault for a few goals recently, but he is a better keeper.

Wilson looks a bag of nerves and uncertainty when the ball is played back to him. He was solid last season, but I don't remember a single game that he 'won' for us with a series of fine saves. We had a mean 5 man defense, and hit teams on the break with Vik and Hamer bursting forward.

ProfessorbyGrace

I still say that we should try and get Johansson from Rotherham, in the summer. If not him, who else?

Get Moore out, send Wilson out on loan, Collins and Tyler as backup, and get a solid, vocal, commanding GK in who’ll bark at his defenders all game.

Seems to be an inherent weaker area in MR’s discernment as a manager; goalkeepers.

shmmeee

I still say that we should try and get Johansson from Rotherham, in the summer. If not him, who else?

Get Moore out, send Wilson out on loan, Collins and Tyler as backup, and get a solid, vocal, commanding GK in who’ll bark at his defenders all game.

Seems to be an inherent weaker area in MR’s discernment as a manager; goalkeepers.

Looking at the stats we’d get much better cross stopping for slightly worse shot stopping.

fernandopartridge

He's changed first choice keeper just into or before every season we've had in this league - Marosi, Moore, Wilson, Collins.

Cally Fedora

A keeper might make 3 or 4 saves in an average game. But they’ll play ten or twenty or more passes. And it’s not a terrible tactic. Wanting to smash it up the pitch and lose the ball every time is a terrible tactic.
I’m afraid it is when you are asking Collins, Latibeaudiere and Thomas to carry it out. Of course you don’t just lump it forward. But equally don’t always play out. It has to be mixed based on what you see in front of you.

Users who are viewing this thread