New number one needed (15 Viewers)

ccfc1234

Sadly I doubt MR will bring in a new #1 keeper. He’s a stubborn guy and it would be embarrassing to ask for another keeper (ahead of someone just brought in on a 3 year contract to do that). Especially after being quite open about the lack of squad depth re outfield players.
I hope I’m surprised because we’ve endured too many years of flappy, weak kneed keepers who undermine the really hard work and development put in elsewhere.
It would be a breath of fresh air to get a big, gobby keeper prepared to crack a few skulls (not literally).
If Moore and Wilson leave I think it opens the door to get a new GK.

mmttww

Might be time to look for a first choice GK on loan. Collins being on a long deal means he's likely to stick around.

Marty

Ruddy is not the answer, had a rush of blood in our game against the Blues a couple of weeks ago and almost cost them a goal from nothing.

Wouldn't mind looking at Patterson at Sunderland but he'll probably eat too much into the budget.

Not convinced with any of the Barnsley boys, they all have their moments where they've just gave the other side a goal.

shmmeee

I’m afraid it is when you are asking Collins, Latibeaudiere and Thomas to carry it out. Of course you don’t just lump it forward. But equally don’t always play out. It has to be mixed based on what you see in front of you.

What’s your halfway house between lumping it and passing it?

Brighton Sky Blue

Lump it to the midfield?

I mean if you’ve got a way then I’m sure every modern football manager is all ears.
Crudely put but yes something like that. Arsing around at the back is just begging for trouble whereas aiming long tends to just give the ball right back.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Wilson is better than Collins as he is more vocal and better at organising the defence. But we definitely need a no.1 and a more imposing big keeper.

Wilson to play against Blackburn then. ?

shmmeee

Crudely put but yes something like that. Arsing around at the back is just begging for trouble whereas aiming long tends to just give the ball right back.

“Arsing around” is certainly a new take on beating the press lol.

Collins should be able to ping a ball to midfield, but it needs players free. And they aren’t always.

Brighton Sky Blue

“Arsing around” is certainly a new take on beating the press lol.

Collins should be able to ping a ball to midfield, but it needs players free. And they aren’t always.
Even the very best side in the world at doing it, Man City, were getting forced into mistakes when they insisted on playing through balls in their own penalty area. It’s such a needless and avoidable way of getting into trouble.

Being a bit more direct when needed is not some caveman tactic either. As you say, the sweet spot would be to get it into midfield more often than not.

shmmeee

Even the very best side in the world at doing it, Man City, were getting forced into mistakes when they insisted on playing through balls in their own penalty area. It’s such a needless and avoidable way of getting into trouble.

Being a bit more direct when needed is not some caveman tactic either. As you say, the sweet spot would be to get it into midfield more often than not.

You should write to Pep and Robins and let them know. 🤣

JSL

Here's a shout for you to chew over. What about Arthur Okonkwo from Arsenal? Has played on loan at Wrexham for much of the season

Cally Fedora

What’s your halfway house between lumping it and passing it?
I think basically that if you have forwards so close you can smell them don’t play a 10 yard pass across your own goal. If you have space you can play it between yourselves for 10 passes before scenario 1 crops up and you do what you could have done 10 passes ago. I refer you to Foden’s goal v Man City last night .

shmmeee

I think basically that if you have forwards so close you can smell them don’t play a 10 yard pass across your own goal. If you have space you can play it between yourselves for 10 passes before scenario 1 crops up and you do what you could have done 10 passes ago. I refer you to Foden’s goal v Man City last night .

The entire point is to bring the forwards closer though. So you can take them out the game and build an attack.

OffenhamSkyBlue

When "arsing around with it" (and i consider this the entirely suitable expression) we are forever one pass that is under-hit or mis-directed from one of those close forwards snapping it up and either scoring or getting brought down because the defender believes there is no other choice. Sure, roll it (or take a short goal kick) to a fullback/wingback, but then the midfield need to be making themselves available to receive a pass and move the bloody thing forward or out to a wide channel. If the likes of Sheaf, Eccles and Torp are as good as most seem to think, this should be in their skill-set, but they are not strong enough at trapping, holding the ball and turning when they are getting hassled by opposition midfielders.

Bad Boy

Jeez I've been screaming at those scenarios all season OSB, we're definitely on the same wavelength with that.
We fanny around with it too much.

Torquay Sky Blue

Watched that last night. The funniest thing was the way Brighton carried on with the short ball even after they'd been punished. Almost like they're brainwashed to play that way. Man City players were like vultures waiting for the inevitable.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Watched that last night. The funniest thing was the way Brighton carried on with the short ball even after they'd been punished. Almost like they're brainwashed to play that way. Man City players were like vultures waiting for the inevitable.
If we had managed to get to the Final, can you imagine the carnage with that Man City front line??

Boicey

Collins was the lead Barnsley keeper when they shipped a load of goals and got relegated in 2022. Kitching was in that team as well.
obv we saw development in them along with Thomas (who joined Barnsley on loan after relegation).
I think Thomas will do ok, he’s still quite inexperienced and raw.
The other two I’m not so sure. Especially Collins. Kitching probably a squad player with a better CB to come in.

OffenhamSkyBlue

The goalkeeping coach needs to tell robins what is going on

Collins has to be dropped
I think Aled Williams has some questions to answer. Earlier this season, i thought Collins took much better control of the box than Wilson,, claiming crosses, etc, and i sensed that the back four (when we played in that system) had more confidence in him. Wilson was probably a better shot-stopper (his box control was hopeless).
Collins has gone backwards in all aspects of his game, and the coaching has to be questioned, in my view

MalcSB

Collins was the lead Barnsley keeper when they shipped a load of goals and got relegated in 2022. Kitching was in that team as well.
obv we saw development in them along with Thomas (who joined Barnsley on loan after relegation).
I think Thomas will do ok, he’s still quite inexperienced and raw.
The other two I’m not so sure. Especially Collins. Kitching probably a squad player with a better CB to come in.
Lot of money for a back up centre back.

Boicey

I think Aled Williams has some questions to answer. Earlier this season, i thought Collins took much better control of the box than Wilson,, claiming crosses, etc, and i sensed that the back four (when we played in that system) had more confidence in him. Wilson was probably a better shot-stopper (his box control was hopeless).
Collins has gone backwards in all aspects of his game, and the coaching has to be questioned, in my view
What is a concern is that he is weak at the instinctive things. A split second to decide whether to punch or come out. We’ll actually he if pretty weak and wimpy in general.

Last edited:

alfielloyd

Agree about the coaching, both Moore and Collins started well but then both have regressed. I remember seeing Moore make his debut and thinking he would be first choice keeper for a significant period.

Users who are viewing this thread