New number one needed (5 Viewers)

TomRad85

To be fair Johansson had a brilliant season statistically last season and has been in a God awful side this year so is worth considering. Problem is you then need to find a taker for Wilson or Collins.
Collins more likely I would think

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

Collins more likely I would think

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Don’t think MR is going to focus on that position this summer to be honest. Getting the O’Hare replacement right has to be the main priority along with a few other outfield positions

skybluecam

People getting their panties in a twist.

We’ve gone through 3 keepers in 2 seasons. Sticking with one and giving him a bit of confidence will do us some good.

clint van damme

Trouble is, investing in a reasonable improvement between the sticks at this level is quite difficult. Don't see an investment within our budget that doesnt have some mistakes in them. High quality keepers are few and far between.

Agree.Which is why, even if we do go for a new keeper, it will bea cheap, short term solution.

clint van damme

People getting their panties in a twist.

We’ve gone through 3 keepers in 2 seasons. Sticking with one and giving him a bit of confidence will do us some good.

We've gone through them because they've been dreadful.
Moore had to be dropped when he was, same with Wilson this season and now Collins.
Schoolboy error after schoolboy error.

Brighton Sky Blue

Agree.Which is why, even if we do go for a new keeper, it will bea cheap, short term solution.
Better off spending money on another good defensive coach and improving what we’ve already got. At least for another season anyway, if we’re still scoring most of the opposition goals for them then yes move the players on.

skybluecam

We've gone through them because they've been dreadful.
Moore had to be dropped when he was, same with Wilson this season and now Collins.
Schoolboy error after schoolboy error.
Wilson was affected by the recruitment of Collins I think. Put him under pressure.

clint van damme

Wilson was affected by the recruitment of Collins I think. Put him under pressure.

Which is weird given recruiting for the same position is meant to encourage competition and drive up performances but something clearly happened.

He had his critics last season, I wasn't one, but his performances nosedived this season.

Cally Fedora

The problem is that what you need from a keeper now is a different skill set. We probably all think make saves, take crosses etc. But they are now required to play as some sort of pseudo sweeper. And are signed due to that skill. It’s a terrible tactic for a start and also means you’re accepting poorer core keeping skills.

skybluecam

The problem is that what you need from a keeper now is a different skill set. We probably all think make saves, take crosses etc. But they are now required to play as some sort of pseudo sweeper. And are signed due to that skill. It’s a terrible tactic for a start and also means you’re accepting poorer core keeping skills.
Guardiola and Arteta must be wrong I guess…

Torquay Sky Blue

To start next season with Collins and Wilson as our goal keeping options would be a backward step. If we have real aspirations of promotion a new keeper is a priority I would of thought.

Londonccfcfan

I quite literally watched a wall staring at him looking for direction while he was silent then deciding to just figure it out themselves. He’s a very very quiet keeper and does zero defensive organisation relying entirely on Fadz last year.
Maybe your right. But he's still better than Collins. Wilson a better striker.

They are both very very average.

Money on Wilson coming in vs Blackburn.

skybluecam

They have the talent to do it. Across the leagues you’ll see 20-30 stupid goals given away as a direct result of it.
That's completely ignoring the benefits it gives you though.
Probably easier to get sweeper AND keeper skills when you are able to pay £35 million for one.
I suppose by that logic we should revert to 442 big man little man route one cross it in the box since we can't possibly sign good footballers on our measly budget.

SBT

No point investing millions in a keeper if their CBs are going to play back passes like the one before their third goal. Collins had a horrible game, but the money needs to be spent on the players in front of him.

Skyblue Bangkok

Back pass rule changed over 30 years ago, keepers have to be better with their feet/ distribution.

oscillatewildly

😂😂😂 yeah let’s make a 37 year old our top target
Yeah, it would be his lack of experience that would be the stumbling block for me if we were to make this move.
That's a 37 year old GK not a FB or CF.
Dino Zoff - WC winner 40
Peter Shilton - WC semi finalist 40
Oggy - PL 40's

Frostie

Probably easier to get sweeper AND keeper skills when you are able to pay £35 million for one.
That's the crux.
I've always said that at this level there's not a great deal between most first choice keepers.
There's only a couple of top ones imo (Hermansen & maybe Cooper) & then maybe the same again who are probably not good enough & then the rest pretty similar but with different strengths/weaknesses. For us, it was important to get a keeper comfortable playing out from the back which is what we did with Collins but he definitely lacks in other areas. Was the trade off worth it... Maybe?

If we want the complete article you're probably looking at chucking mega money at it (Hermansen was £6m) which I don't think we will.

Sick Boy

<shudder>.

Will never forget that game he played against us though, he was immense. Signed him on the strength of a game of a lifetime.
That was probably one of the best performances I’ve ever seen from a keeper. We absolutely battered them and somehow lost 1-0 - at least some things never change.

MTK

No disrespect to Moore, Wilson or Collins - they have all proved to be good keepers at various times. I just think if we are serious about progressing to the PL, we have to take a significant step up keeper-wise. If there is money coming to us from Gyokeres sale or elsewhere, a good chunk of it needs to go on a really good keeper. The best we can get, even if it affects recruitment elsewhere. A really good keeper can literally get you points in the same way that having a top striker can. And a really good commanding keeper should help the defence to cut out errors.

Terry Gibson's perm

Thomas should have stepped in front of the striker rather than going wide for the pass.

I would rather see us go for Nicolls he is not brilliant with his feet but he can save the ball which is something the current two struggle with.

SAJ

Too late then. Possibly another play-off missed due to a poor keeper. A keeper can't keep making basic errors and expect to keep his place.
It not just the keeper. Look at the defensive stats since Lawrence had gone.
With Lawrence we were averaging 1.06 goals conceded per game this season. Since he’s gone we are averaging 2 goals a game.

torchomatic

Fucking hell worse than I remembered. I’d let all of the keepers leave this summer if anyone wants them on a free and start again.
Opposite end to us, so didn't really see what happened. Why not just smash it, even if you risk bringing the player down? That's woeful.

Users who are viewing this thread