New Ground Nonsense (1 Viewer)

maddog

I really dont like SISU but you have to admire what a good site this would be. All the captive students around the corner. Not far out of Coventry. Multiple use for all student games etc. They really are clever bastards.

maddog

Would make sense why they wanted the academy up there.is this the same land that is up for sale if HS2 goes ahead ?
I'll be honest I only got the bare bones of what I said. HS2 does go near there I guess. Cant speculate on what I dont know.

shy_tall_knight

Great our new potential stadium is dependent on HS2 which is constantly in doubt. Retail units well Cannon Park shopping centre may have a problem with it, there are some wealth people in Cannon Hill Park Kenilworth as well as the Kenilworth road, cryfield grange who won't want their tranquility disturbed every other week.

Warwick Uni is a top 10 uni they didn't take the name of Coventry and I'm sure they won't want the stadium, there is new R&D investment going into that site, they would be significant opposition.

If it does happen only Canley residents will be able to walk to the ground, traffic chaos in the country lanes, that's why I don't think it will happen

I really dont like SISU but you have to admire what a good site this would be. All the captive students around the corner. Not far out of Coventry. Multiple use for all student games etc. They really are clever bastards.

I would agree with your last sentence albeit with the exclusion of the word "clever".

Hobo

Don't quote me on this but I think it may have to stop now and again :)

The HS2 train might have to stop now and again? Like Lea Hall, Adderley Park, Marston Green, Hampton In Arden, Tile Hill.....SISU Hut ;-)

duffer

As I recall, Warwick Uni has already got pretty decent sports facilities. Good enough for the Academy, said Fisher (until it turned it that it actually wasn't).

So I don't think the Uni would be too keen from that point of view. And the rather wealthy residents certainly wouldn't, or Tesco at Cannon Park one suspects if there was competing retail. Just that would proably scupper planning permission I'd venture. Then there's the obvious infrastructure issue.

It might be a plan, but I can't see it as anything but a non-starter, personally.

Seyeclops666

Don't quote me on this but I think it may have to stop now and again :)

Doh -HS2 isn't even stopping in Coventry - it is London to Brum direct - they won't be stopping at some shitty stadium at Warwick Uni. However this is the most credible suggestion yet - well it would be if it wasn't for the transport, the rich people around the area, the lack of land and the fact that Warwick council Leader told me they wouldn't allow a stadium anywhere in their district?? But and it is a big but - Warwick Uni might like a small stadium to add to the university's cache??

J

Jack Griffin

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a WUM. I know this has been mentioned before and probably been discounted due to transport links but Warwick University is the site that SISU are definitely pursuing. I dont give a shit if anyone believes me or cares but I assure you this is their number 1 target. They want a retail park to stand beside the stadium and fund its construction. Brandon not an option at all. I'm not going to tell you where this has come from other than it is from the top of SISU to a reliable third party.
I am a NOPM supporter and hardly ever post on here unless I feel the information is important. Cue the typical wum bullshit replies...if any...Save this post and see what transpires.

I cannot belive the rubbish you have just written. Get rid of your sat nav and buy your self a Ordnance Survey map of coventry number 221 and on there you will realise their is no way in for a new road to a stadium. It is the reason their is so much traffic conjestion around the uni and westwood heath.

skybluebal

I take it you haven't read that Joy Seppala has said “Instinctively, it would not cross my mind to have it within Coventry City Council’s boundary given the history, histrionics and the issue of freehold ownership."

To add, she doesn't negotiate - what a great business approach!

skybluebal

Maybe all these super campaigners could organise something decent that everybody agrees on to show them rather than draw pictures of them on the hill? I bet SISU are shitting themselves about it. All of these type of posts actually make me want to go to sixfields.

The fans should be united and all of these pointless campaigns do nothing but divide them and stir shit up, let's get something decent organised. If you are going to go into the press and say how amazing you are and that you have succeeded and that you are the reason SISU have given interviews then get something big sorted out rather than just putting up a couple of printed posters up outside an office and taking pictures of strangers.

I admire your passion, but the fans and the fan organisations need to be bringing the fans together.

“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

― Abraham Lincoln

Basically, you will never get 100% fan unity.

Astute

“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

― Abraham Lincoln

Basically, you will never get 100% fan unity.

So having nearly 90% not going to Northampton is an achievement then :D

skybluebal

I totally agree; time for a big protest. I think that NOPM is starting to work hence JS's appearance recently but it has to be followed up by something big.

Big protests are great for the media and bringing our plight to the attention of the country (at least the footy fans). However, what really grinds people/organisations down is the sustained niggling at them, it means they have to spend time and energy on those activities instead of focusing on what they really want to do.

So both types of activities are to be applauded.

Lightyear

Just waiting for the "Why don't you organise one" stuff from people who chose to run fan's groups....

Since you ask, why don't you suggest a constructive idea or organise one?

Seems to me you're only interested in posting question after another on this message board. Threads are littered with one line questions from you.

jesus-wept

Why build a new ground when you could buy one, right in the centre of Coventry. The Butts Park Arena and use it as a duel sport facility, increasing potential revenue. Forget the "we won't build within the CCC boundary" quote from JS. Not sure who exactly owns it, but who could object ? It is already there and a sports arena. Not sure what the capacity is now but looking at the site getting it up to 5000 shouldn't be a problem. Obviousy doubtful if it could ever be a 32000 capacity arena but at the moment 10/12000 is ample. Station a short walk away, loads of car parks around in city centre also within walking distance. AND would be very popular with supporters, who are also voters. Out of the question...Why ?

Last edited:

jesus-wept

Just checked, the capacity is 4200, double what we are getting currently, so as said in the previous thread, how could there be any objection to football being played there aswell as rugby union.

theferret

I cannot belive the rubbish you have just written. Get rid of your sat nav and buy your self a Ordnance Survey map of coventry number 221 and on there you will realise their is no way in for a new road to a stadium. It is the reason their is so much traffic conjestion around the uni and westwood heath.

And I cannot believe your rubbish response. Nowhere did he make the case for that site - he simply said he has heard from a source he trusts that it is their number 1 target.

As for Warwick Uni, while I think it is preferable to the likes of Ryton or Ansty Park, it would indeed be fraught with planning issues. For me, the most viable site (from a planning is perspective) is the brownfield site at Ryton (but that would be by no means straight forward). Ansty Park, on paper at least, would be the least troublesome in terms of planning (no issues with access), brownfield site, no nearby residents and next to zero impact on roads within Coventry. The issue there of course would be change of use, and the fact the owners of that site have ruled it out (and a horrible place to have a football ground).

Much as I don't like the Ricoh (but the addition of a train station would be a massive plus), that is SISU's only viable option that I see, but then nobody is going to sell it to them. Where does that leave us? Well, in Northampton I guess. I can't see an end to this. JS would rather drill holes in her own head than pay rent at the Ricoh, so what next? It's all very depressing.

theferret

Just checked, the capacity is 4200, double what we are getting currently, so as said in the previous thread, how could there be any objection to football being played there aswell as rugby union.

In an ideal world, the Ricoh would adapt and diversify and become a successful conference/exhibition facility and the club would team up with CRFC and develop The Butts. I'd be very happy with that, but the issue is the here and now, because it just isn't suitable. TF was asked at a fans forum about it, and said that they asked the FL and it was rejected. There is only one set of turnstiles and no way of segregating fans or increasing capacity (I think 4200 would make it the smallest ground in the football league) without changes that would require planning permission, and how likely is that? I'd also argue that 10,000 would not be nearly big enough (but clearly preferable to Sixfields), but long term it would need to be 20K.

I suppose if the Ricoh ever move on without the club, then it might become an option. We're a long way from that point though.

skybluetony176

just thought of another problem for building a stadium outside of Coventry's jurisdiction.

Policing, why would another borough or county councils police force, police a CCFC game? i know they are at Sixfields but from the local press reports that has been reluctantly and forced.

If they did build a stadium at say, Brandon. that would have to be policed by Rugby and being from Rugby i know they don't want to police rugby town fc and only do for the occasional big games, such as the odd FA cup game and last seasons play off final. so why would they do it for CCFC.

even if they got planning permission to build it, if the local police force refused to police it would they get the necessary licences to run games?

another reason why i believe its all BS

theferret

just thought of another problem for building a stadium outside of Coventry's jurisdiction.

Policing, why would another borough or county councils police force, police a CCFC game? i know they are at Sixfields but from the local press reports that has been reluctantly and forced.

If they did build a stadium at say, Brandon. that would have to be policed by Rugby and being from Rugby i know they don't want to police rugby town fc and only do for the occasional big games, such as the odd FA cup game and last seasons play off final. so why would they do it for CCFC.

even if they got planning permission to build it, if the local police force refused to police it would they get the necessary licences to run games?

another reason why i believe its all BS

There is no precedent for a police force refusing to police a football game that I recall (at least not outside the ground, but clubs are not obliged to have police inside the ground anyway, and if they do they pay for it). It just wouldn't happen.

chiefdave

I am not a WUM. I know this has been mentioned before and probably been discounted due to transport links but Warwick University is the site that SISU are definitely pursuing. I dont give a shit if anyone believes me or cares but I assure you this is their number 1 target. They want a retail park to stand beside the stadium and fund its construction. Brandon not an option at all. I'm not going to tell you where this has come from other than it is from the top of SISU to a reliable third party.
I am a NOPM supporter and hardly ever post on here unless I feel the information is important. Cue the typical wum bullshit replies...if any...Save this post and see what transpires.

If it was at Warwick Uni would a retail park be viable? Canon Park already exists and doesn't seem to do a roaring trade apart from Tesco, surely if there's a demand for a larger store there Tesco will expand the existing Canon Park store. IMO Warwick Uni is a poor location for a big box retail complex (to attract the likes of PC World, Homebase, Toys R Us etc, the types of stores that typically occupy these sites).

Those that know the uni well what are the potential locations? Would have thought anything to the south west of the site (Gibbet Hill to Kirby Corner as a rough guide) would struggle to get planning. Are there areas already within the university complex that would be large enough to build a ground?

bigfatronssba

If it was at Warwick Uni would a retail park be viable? Canon Park already exists and doesn't seem to do a roaring trade apart from Tesco, surely if there's a demand for a larger store there Tesco will expand the existing Canon Park store. IMO Warwick Uni is a poor location for a big box retail complex (to attract the likes of PC World, Homebase, Toys R Us etc, the types of stores that typically occupy these sites).

Those that know the uni well what are the potential locations? Would have thought anything to the south west of the site (Gibbet Hill to Kirby Corner as a rough guide) would struggle to get planning. Are there areas already within the university complex that would be large enough to build a ground?

Also another out of town shopping centre will leave them open to objections from CCC. For instance Nuneaton and Bedworth council objected (albeit unsuccessfully) about the size of arena Tesco. That has had an impact on the amount of people using Bedworth town centre.

Users who are viewing this thread