Messi/Suarez penalty (1 Viewer)

callumeast

Henry and Pires tried it years back. Completely fucked it up. it is legal. But I'd suggest more people don't do it because not a lot is easier than just taking penalty.

ccfc695

In theory defenders should be alert enough for anyone following up rebounds from pens and would be on top of any players trying that, that's the theory anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Because it's Barca it's amazing blah blah blah all I've seen on social media, but if a lot of other teams did it would be seen as arrogant!

jimmyhillsfanclub

Johan Cruyff did the same years ago......

I'd personally say its bad sportsmanship & is there also not an argument to be had for offside?

OffenhamSkyBlue

As other threads have been talking about interpretation of the Laws of the game, I'll chuck in that this should have been re-taken because Suarez was inside the D when Messi kicked the ball. A TV ref review of all angles should have disallowed that!!

Sorry!

Kingokings204

As other threads have been talking about interpretation of the Laws of the game, I'll chuck in that this should have been re-taken because Suarez was inside the D when Messi kicked the ball. A TV ref review of all angles should have disallowed that!!

Sorry!

I agree with this but it's not offside. Suarez clearly behind the ball.

standupforcity

Sorry!

You can see clearly that Suarez is outside the box...the top of his head is visible and behind the line...Sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olL9NOcCOTk

MatthewWallis

Most people don't do it because they would rather score, but Messi is a class above everyone else and isn't selfish. You wouldn't see Ronaldo doing it :)

Terry Gibson's perm

Does it count as a missed penalty totally arrogant and typical of that team, also when Neymar took the mickey out of the that player by flicking it over his head next time I would have tackled him it would have been round his throat.

When they showed it last night he looked in the d to me.

skybluericoh

They got away with it. Not clever, should have been retaken as when the ball was played the other player was definitely in the D might have even got a foot in the box. If one of ours did that I would hope TM would stop them from taking penalties in the future. Unless you were 4 nil up with only 2 mins left.

Covstu

Played within the rules so its a goal, don't really agree with it but I guess its similar to the amount of different free kicks going on these days,

ClarkeZ

Why not just let somebody else take the pen then?

Agreed. If it was selflessness then you just give the ball to Suarez and say, here you go mate, your hattrick awaits.
This was just humiliating a team already getting demolished.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as if they don't have the respect for the team they are playing.
If Armstrong and Maddison had done this on Saturday they would be branded arrogant and silly, not amazing and genius.

skybluetony176

As far as I'm aware as long as no other player encroaches the goal area before the penalty taker makes contact with the ball and the ball moves forward of the penalty spot it's perfectly legal.

edgy

Don't like it at all.

Pens should be 1 v 1. A test of a players finishing against a goalies shotstopping skills.

Brylowes

Just the pen taker involved, only he can fuck it up, bring someone else
into the equation and it at least doubles the margin of error

SkyBlueSid

I see nothing wrong with what happened last night in principle. If a team wants to potentially waste a penalty, as Arsenal did in 2005, that's up to them. The only issue last night was that Suarez was in the D so it should have been retaken. Offside was not an issue as once Messi had passed it he took no further part, so not offside under current rules.

It's a pity people are being critical of this one incident, as Barca scored some incredible goals last night in a stunning second half performance. Unsurprisingly, it is the Madrid press, led by Marca, that have stirred it up, as they always do. I'm sure Barca are bothered.....

The Neymar flick over the defender may have been a piss-take, but this defender has some previous with Neymar, having licked lumps off him in other games, so clearly that's why Neymar chose to do it.

Yes in a shoot-out, the ball is dead the moment it is kicked, hence no rebounds off keeper or post are allowed.
Not true. The ball becomes dead when the penalty kick is concluded in a shoot out. So it could hit the bar and go in off the keeper and it would be a goal.

wingy

It may be permissable in the rules as was the Donkey kick until we did it.
Smacks of ungentlemanly conduct and needs to be outlawed as it's a type of deception.
It's so rare I guess it doesn't really register with the authorities but must give extra advantage V the goalkeeper as it's so unexpected, stuttered run ups do my swede in as well.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
In a sport rife with diving, appealing for thrown-ins/corners when you know you've kicked it out, timewasting etc, I'm flabbergasted (just wanted to write that really...) that anyone is saying this is 'unsporting'!

Just like the panenka, it's simply a different (legit) way of scoring a penalty.

Happy_Martian

Great for the Barca fans, not so much for anyone else. Completely in the rules but regardless of who was playing, this was showboating. And as it was against a significantly inferior team, as someone else has said, showing a complete lack of respect for the opposition. Barca were already 3-1 up at the time of the penalty, with 10 mins left of the 2nd half to play. They didn't need to show off any more.

Happy_Martian

In a sport rife with diving, appealing for thrown-ins/corners when you know you've kicked it out, timewasting etc, I'm flabbergasted (just wanted to write that really...) that anyone is saying this is 'unsporting'!

But people complain about those other methods as well, they are well within reason to bemoan this.

Just like the panenka, it's simply a different (legit) way of scoring a penalty.

It is, no arguing the legitimacy of it, just the ethics of doing it.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
But people complain about those other methods as well, they are well within reason to bemoan this.

My point is that they're all against the rules, but this isn't.

This is like a clever free-kick routine. Really don't get the annoyance.

Users who are viewing this thread