Local Government Ombudsman - Protest Idea (1 Viewer)

Orca

I have a friend who works at the LGO and I was chatting to her last night about the Academy situation. I asked for her advice over whether anyone could make a complaint about the Council and impending loss of the Academy facility.

If you recall, the minutes of the meeting the Councillor attended to ratify the sale of the Ricoh to Wasps included a number of points about the protection of the Club. Specifically the minutes stated:
"The commitment that any deal relating to the Ricoh Arena would not be approved unless the following three tests were satisfied: (1) A good deal for the City (2) The security and future of Coventry City Football Club (3) The security and future of Coventry Rugby Club"

The document also went on to state "The need to ensure the continued regeneration in the North East of the City." and "The intention of Wasps to develop the Ricoh Arena as a conference centre plus a training facility in the future would benefit the City."

Now I've written to my Councillors on this point (see my earlier thread) and unsurprisingly, they haven't replied.

So back to the LGO. If you want to make a complaint about the loss of the Academy or the failure of Wasps to redevelop the Ricoh site you can, but for it to get to the LGO, it has to come from a party who has been 'injured' by the Council's action. Now I can't claim to be personally effected by all of this (other than it making me angry), so if I did complain, the LGO would reject it. However, my contact said that a "Public Interest Body" could complain as they would be seen to be representing a wider community interest. I mentioned the SBT to her and she said, that would work. I guess in theory, it could also be the SCG.

I know there are members of the SBT board on here, although being a relatively new regular visitor, I'm not sure who is who.

For the complaint to work, it would need to exhaust the Council's official complaints procedure and any complaint would need to ensure it is not covering any planning matter as the LGO don't deal with this.

Having used the LGO in the past, I know they can work quite slowly and if it causes delays to the Wasps development, it could help to ensure there is more time to develop a workable solution, or even stop it altogether. I also know that in general terms, Councillors aren't too bothered about being called out by the press or their constituents, but they are bothered when the LGO gets involved.

Does anyone think this is worth pursuing?

Nick

Administrator
I brought up those points before, I think it turns out that apparently the conditions don't actually mean anything.

Orca

I brought up those points before, I think it turns out that apparently the conditions don't actually mean anything.
No, but it could show mismanagement by the Councillors maybe?
If it's a non-starter, I'll pipe down:)

Orca

Yeah, I've read that and it's just a whole bunch of bickering.

As far as I can work out, no one actually did anything. I'll just write to the Trust directly.

I don't understand why people who are anti-SISU are automatically labelled as pro-Wasps or pro-CCC. Personally, I think they've all got their parts to play in the mess we're in now, but I do know which party are most culpable. I'm quite happy to wear my anti-SISU badge, but I'm also prepared to put forward ideas to keep my football club going.

Grendel

Yeah, I've read that and it's just a whole bunch of bickering.

As far as I can work out, no one actually did anything. I'll just write to the Trust directly.

I don't understand why people who are anti-SISU are automatically labelled as pro-Wasps or pro-CCC. Personally, I think they've all got their parts to play in the mess we're in now, but I do know which party are most culpable. I'm quite happy to wear my anti-SISU badge, but I'm also prepared to put forward ideas to keep my football club going.

I'm glad you acknowledge the council are the most culpable. Well done.

Orca

I'm glad you acknowledge the council are the most culpable. Well done.
Go boil your head Grendel - another pointless dig to try and start off more bickering. I think your deflecting tactics are pretty embarrassing to be honest.

So again, if the Council are most culpable (which is not my belief), have you written to your councillor(s) like I have? Please feel free to cut and paste my email if you're struggling (like usual) to come up with cohesive argument of your own. I've now asked this of you on multiple threads, but you've refused to answer. You do have the time to reply to my posts normally, are you going to tell us if you've written or not?

Grendel

Go boil your head Grendel - another pointless dig to try and start off more bickering. I think your deflecting tactics are pretty embarrassing to be honest.

So again, if the Council are most culpable (which is not my belief), have you written to your councillor(s) like I have? Please feel free to cut and paste my email if you're struggling (like usual) to come up with cohesive argument of your own. I've now asked this of you on multiple threads, but you've refused to answer. You do have the time to reply to my posts normally, are you going to tell us if you've written or not?

Why on earth would I write to the council?

What are they going to do - "ooh orca has wrote an e mail " - waste of resource in your case - why don't you just wander down council HQ and address the person directly?

I blame the council 100% for this predicament even down to having your mates sisu as their partner of choice.

Orca

Why on earth would I write to the council?

What are they going to do - "ooh orca has wrote an e mail " - waste of resource in your case - why don't you just wander down council HQ and address the person directly?

I blame the council 100% for this predicament even down to having your mates sisu as their partner of choice.
You make less and less sense by the day, but if all you're going to do is come on to forums and moan, you're probably punching above your intellectual weight already.

brinner

I wonder what Alan Edward Higgs would have made of all this if he was still here.........

Certainly would be no Wasps in town if he was.........

Captain Dart

I wonder what Alan Edward Higgs would have made of all this if he was still here.........

Certainly would be no Wasps in town if he was.........

I imagine he is spinning in his grave this very moment.

chiefdave

If you recall, the minutes of the meeting the Councillor attended to ratify the sale of the Ricoh to Wasps included a number of points about the protection of the Club.
If you go further back there were also conditions when Higgs was first built as municipal land was used. Something about the facilities having to remain available to the community. Wasps plans will mean a reduction in both the facilities available and the hours they are available for.

There were environmental restrictions as well.

Grendel

you're probably punching above your intellectual weight already.

Says someone whose previous response was to "go and boil your head"

Orca

Says someone whose previous response was to "go and boil your head"
Yes, let's not forget you telling me to 'fuck off' in your very first interaction with me (Petition). You've accused me of being a Wasps plant and then in the response above you said I've got mates at SISU. You realise how confused you sound and how ridiculous your posturing on this makes you look, right?

Brylowes

Yes, let's not forget you telling me to 'fuck off' in your very first interaction with me (Petition). You've accused me of being a Wasps plant and then in the response above you said I've got mates at SISU. You realise how confused you sound and how ridiculous your posturing on this makes you look, right?
Not to mention how ridiculous he looks saying something like " I 100 % blame the council".
TBH he should work for SISU, he could throw up more walls and obstacles to progress
Than they could ever dream of.

Grendel

Not to mention how ridiculous he looks saying something like " I 100 % blame the council".
TBH he should work for SISU, he could throw up more walls and obstacles to progress
Than they could ever dream of.

I 100% blame the council for sisu being here. It's why they are isn't it?

Grendel

The mates at sisu was clearly an oxymoron. The real contradiction being your lack of insight that the only reason they are in football is due to the council and it's shabby treatment of the club for two decades.

Orca

The mates at sisu was clearly an oxymoron. The real contradiction being your lack of insight that the only reason they are in football is due to the council and it's shabby treatment of the club for two decades.
I think you've just hit the bottom of your intellect @Grendel. You're really saying that the reason SISU are the owners of our football club is because of the Council? I really don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion given all that has gone before

Grendel

I think you've just hit the bottom of your intellect @Grendel. You're really saying that the reason SISU are the owners of our football club is because of the Council? I really don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion given all that has gone before

Sisu are owners because the council creating an unworkable formula and saw the club fall into virtual liquidation.

It had offers from other parties but the council refused them and were only interested in sisu as owners as they had no insistence on acquiring ACL so of course it's their fault.

Where have you been this last decade?

Orca

Sisu are owners because the council creating an unworkable formula and saw the club fall into virtual liquidation.

It had offers from other parties but the council refused them and were only interested in sisu as owners as they had no insistence on acquiring ACL so of course it's their fault.

Where have you been this last decade?
SISU are owners because they bought the football club from the former owners of the football club - nothing to do with the Council.

The Council tried to oust SISU by forcing Administration over the unpaid ACL rent. Stupid idea, but admin just moved the debt from one part of SISU to another. So, I do recall all of the past 10 years of this mess and the Council, whilst acting stupidly in a number of occasions would rather anybody but SISU owned the club. You appear to be confusing ownership of the club with ownership of the stadium. When acquiring the club SISU will have done due diligence and under normal circumstances, would have looked at the major costs of the organisation they were buying. Number one on that list, wages. Number 2 on that list, £1.1m per annum in rent. SISU chose to buy on these terms. They could have renegotiated, but didn't. They could have bought the stadium, but didn't. The Council are not blameless, but they are not the reason SISU are our owners and I don't know anyone else who takes this view.

Nick

Administrator
SISU are owners because they bought the football club from the former owners of the football club - nothing to do with the Council.

The Council tried to oust SISU by forcing Administration over the unpaid ACL rent. Stupid idea, but admin just moved the debt from one part of SISU to another. So, I do recall all of the past 10 years of this mess and the Council, whilst acting stupidly in a number of occasions would rather anybody but SISU owned the club. You appear to be confusing ownership of the club with ownership of the stadium. When acquiring the club SISU will have done due diligence and under normal circumstances, would have looked at the major costs of the organisation they were buying. Number one on that list, wages. Number 2 on that list, £1.1m per annum in rent. SISU chose to buy on these terms. They could have renegotiated, but didn't. They could have bought the stadium, but didn't. The Council are not blameless, but they are not the reason SISU are our owners and I don't know anyone else who takes this view.
How did the council reject people like shapiro? They had a say.

That's why sisu were the ones the council approved.

Grendel

Wrong. Two other bids were submitted which involved purchasing ACL (one definitely for far more than wasps paid) - the council overviewed the bids and in the end decided sisu were the preferred bidder.

chiefdave

We went all through this a few months back if someone can dig out the thread. KMPG had something like 7 serious bids.

The known bidders were Manhattan, Sharpiro and SISU. All three met with the council. Public statements were made deriding Manhatten and Sharprio, bizarrely the statements contradicted each other. One bid was no good as it didn't include any redevelopment around the stadium, the other was no good because it did!

While the council couldn't decide who the club was sold to they played a very big part as when they made it clear that under no circumstances would the owners of the club be able to purchase the stadium everyone but SISU, who were the councils preferred bidder, walked away. SISU stayed as they were the only ones who didn't require, at that point anyway, stadium ownership.

skybluetony176

SISU own the club because the prior owners didn't want to put the club into administration (which would have been the right thing to do by the club) because they'd lose money.

Of the other two "serious" bidders one wanted a load of land in return for buying the club and ACL and the other couldn't borrow the money it needed because the bottom fell out of the financial world due to the American toxic mortgage scandal coming home to rest. They planned on buying CCFC in much the same way that the Glaziers purchased Man U i.e. not with their own money. No one would lend them the money so the sale never happened.

Orca

SISU own the club because the prior owners didn't want to put the club into administration (which would have been the right thing to do by the club) because they'd lose money.

Of the other two "serious" bidders one wanted a load of land in return for buying the club and ACL and the other couldn't borrow the money it needed because the bottom fell out of the financial world due to the American toxic mortgage scandal coming home to rest. They planned on buying CCFC in much the same way that the Glaziers purchased Man U i.e. not with their own money. No one would lend them the money so the sale never happened.
That's how I remember it and specifically, I remember SISU being the only game in town at the 11th hour. We were left with a choice of 1 and not because of the Council

Nick

Administrator
That's how I remember it and specifically, I remember SISU being the only game in town at the 11th hour. We were left with a choice of 1 and not because of the Council

I remember it being a choice of 1 after everybody else had been told they aren't getting the Ricoh for sensible money.

I also remember Fletcher quitting because he was pissed off with people being scared off. A bit extreme for him to quit over an exchange rate making a deal fall through.

Sky Blue Kid

You need to listen to your mate SBWM..... What you're saying now is not what you were saying then!

Grendel

How much land did they want and where was it Tony? What was the offer? Higgs would have had more than wasps gave them?

Oh and Tony what else did they want which ken Taylor at the time sneered at?

Grendel

You need to listen to your mate SBWM..... What you're saying now is not what you were saying then!

I wasn't on this forum then but hey ho

Users who are viewing this thread