"Let’s be clear, we absolutely want the football club to stay at the Ricoh" (1 Viewer)

martcov

All this proves is that both sides really are as bad as each other. To think so many were supporting ACL. I said all along they were both culpable and I still believe that to be the case, if not now proven by this latest ACL knee jerk.

Somebody with an authoritive presence at the council needs to take charge and sort the mess out. Start by making clear there is negation for the football club to make the Ricoh work for them as the leading occupier. Make available what you would be willing to do and accept.
Let the football club respond and take it one step at a time with the intent of a long term arrangement being made.

Get on with it!

Yes, but the council have never said anything other than the door is aiways open... CCFC need a home ground and ACL has one in the city with the same name as the football club. No-one needs to tell SISU this. They are well aware of what they could have.... but they are still sticking to the same old story i.e. they are going ahead with the P.i.T.S. stadium.

We need someone with an authoritive presence in SISU to kick the council's door in, put a business plan on the table and make an opening offer for a long term lease.

Pussying around and talking about JRs and new stadiums won't get us a home ground.

Sky Blue Dal

All this proves is that both sides really are as bad as each other. To think so many were supporting ACL. I said all along they were both culpable and I still believe that to be the case, if not now proven by this latest ACL knee jerk.

Somebody with an authoritive presence at the council needs to take charge and sort the mess out. Start by making clear there is negation for the football club to make the Ricoh work for them as the leading occupier. Make available what you would be willing to do and accept.
Let the football club respond and take it one step at a time with the intent of a long term arrangement being made.

Get on with it!

I am sure they have already tried that many times but SISU do not have an appetite to do serious business instead they make ridiculous offers.

Surely you can see this.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Of course its nonsense :facepalm: Wasps only played in London from 1867 until 2002, a small matter of 135 years. They now have played in Wycombe, just outside London for 12 years, so to say they are not a London club is disingenuous in the extreme.

It will be fine though, London Luton Airport isn't in London either. Coventry Airport isn't in the Coventry Council Boundary so our move was all ok eh?

skybluetony176

Two wrongs make a right in your world, Toni?

Just adding balance to the facts that stupot had posted about the other party involved. Unless you don't believe in a balanced argument I don't see what your point is as I wasn't suggesting that two wrongs make a right. You did that all by yourself.

martcov

It will be fine though, London Luton Airport isn't in London either. Coventry Airport isn't in the Coventry Council Boundary so our move was all ok eh?

It doesn't matter what Wasps were called or where they were 12 years ago. What matters is that there is an empty stadium in Cov ( yes, I know there is a tenant for 23 days a year for 2 years and an option for another 2 years - but that is nothing in the real world ).

The ball is in SISU's court. Whether Wasps are there or not, it is only a question of time before someone has an idea for the Ricoh.

City supporters should be questioning SISU. Let's have a forum with Joy and Tim where they explain why it is better to build a cheap small stadium in a small town near Coventry than to make an offer for a long lease on a purpose built stadium in Coventry.

ML is not there any more, but we still have a problem. Invite the council to put their case as to why SISU should make them an offer.

Let the fans explain why they prefer the Ricoh.

The silence from SISU is deafening.

Nick

Administrator
It doesn't matter what Wasps were called or where they were 12 years ago. What matters is that there is an empty stadium in Cov ( yes, I know there is a tenant for 23 days a year for 2 years and an option for another 2 years - but that is nothing in the real world ).

Ahhh it doesn't matter about moving us to Northampton, Cardoza wanted a bit of extra cash. Doesn't matter we were Coventry City at all does it? When people went on about our history and heritage they were just chatting shit.

All of the stuff about it being morally wrong when we moved was bollocks wasn't it?

An absolute joke that people are now reeling out the "It is just business" crap when it is either due to their love for ACL or hatred for SISU.

Cardoza was a money grabbing prick, but now it is just business.

skybluetony176

Ahhh it doesn't matter about moving us to Northampton, Cardoza wanted a bit of extra cash. Doesn't matter we were Coventry City at all does it? When people went on about our history and heritage they were just chatting shit.

All of the stuff about it being morally wrong when we moved was bollocks wasn't it?

An absolute joke that people are now reeling out the "It is just business" crap when it is either due to their love for ACL or hatred for SISU.

What did you think to the rest of his post Nick? I thought it was spot on. The part you have commented on just proves that you can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

martcov

Ahhh it doesn't matter about moving us to Northampton, Cardoza wanted a bit of extra cash.

I am not talking about morals or even Wasps in particular. The problem is not Wasps. It is SISU. They are the owners. They make the decisions - not Wasps or anyone else. If the stadium goes to Wasps through 90% of ACL, it is SISU's fault 100%.

Don't blame ACL or Wasps. In our case we did not move into an empty ground in Northampton to improve our facilities, A different scenario. Maybe some Wasps fans see it as good for the club's future. I don't know.

What I do know is that SISU are continuing with the JR - although we are supposed to be rebuilding trust, and that SISU are still saying that the are building their own stadium.

So long as that stays like that, you cannot blame ACL or Wasps or CCC or anyone other than ......... SISU/ Otium/ TF.

I do not hate TF or SISU, but those are the facts and it annoys me that TF is silent and that people try to blame ACL for doing what thea are supposed to be doing.

Nick

Administrator
What did you think to the rest of his post Nick? I thought it was spot on. The part you have commented on just proves that you can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

I liked the bit where he was trying to prove a point about the location and being in a small town near Coventry after saying it doesn't matter about Wasps moving. It won't matter if we move to a small town near Coventry then will it?

Like I said, it just shows how people change their tune so much when it comes to backing ACL / Hating SISU that franchising and moving teams is now ok as it is just business, especially after what has happened to us.

Nick

Administrator
I am not talking about morals or even Wasps in particular. The problem is not Wasps. It is SISU. They are the owners. They make the decisions - not Wasps or anyone else. If the stadium goes to Wasps through 90% of ACL, it is SISU's fault 100%.

Don't blame ACL or Wasps. In our case we did not move into an empty ground in Northampton to improve our facilities, A different scenario. Maybe some Wasps fans see it as good for the club's future. I don't know.

What I do know is that SISU are continuing with the JR - although we are supposed to be rebuilding trust, and that SISU are still saying that the are building their own stadium.

So long as that stays like that, you cannot blame ACL or Wasps or CCC or anyone other than ......... SISU/ Otium/ TF.

I do not hate TF or SISU, but those are the facts and it annoys me that TF is silent and that people try to blame ACL for doing what thea are supposed to be doing.

So you can't find ACL hypocritical because of it? After all the spiel about it being wrong Coventry playing in Northampton.

Some people managed to find time to blame Cardoza for being a money grabbing prick, he was just trying to make money wasn't he, like ACL are?

Trust works both ways, of course SISU should drop it the same as ACL shouldn't be trying to hawk it around. People are saying the club should now match Wasp's bid. That approach reminds me of people placing false bids on ebay to get more money for their items ;)

Yes, SISU are massive wankers. We all know this, the fact is that ACL are acting like massive hyprocrites but it just goes to show their PR has been good as fans would find ways to excuse anything that they do.

"London Luton airport isn't even in London", what a joke that comment is for a start.
"Let's wait until we know the facts" - The fact is a non Coventry / London Area based team will be playing home games in Coventry - Wrong no?

But no, ACL is just a business so they are doing as they should.

What would reactions be if Coventry Rugby Club were thinking of groundsharing? It isn't about the ground sharing is it, it is how franchising and up and moving teams is suddenly ok.

Monners

It bothered some fans enough so as not to go.

Will Sisu put an offer in? History suggests probably not. Is it right to do what ACL appear to be doing - as a fan of the club of course not. The whole thing stinks - None of them give a toss about the club that much is clear

martcov

I liked the bit where he was trying to prove a point about the location and being in a small town near Coventry after saying it doesn't matter about Wasps moving. It won't matter if we move to a small town near Coventry then will it?

Like I said, it just shows how people change their tune so much when it comes to backing ACL / Hating SISU that franchising and moving teams is now ok as it is just business, especially after what has happened to us.

What? Of course it will matter if we move to a small town near Coventry. That is my point. We will have no choice if SISU don't alter their stance. That will be the end of all our ambitions.

It doesn't matter if it is Wasps or anyone else. Sooner or later the Ricoh will be taken. That is the problem - not Wasps.

The people who have the power to change that are SISU. Make an offer and drop the stadium and JR, then we can move on - Wasps will have to wait and see.

You have misread everything that I said. I even made a point that I don't hate SISU or TF. I hate their stubborness which could lose us our home. Why you talk about morals and Wasps I don't know. They are at best a symptom, but the cause is SISU's stance.

stupot07

Will Sisu put an offer in? History suggests probably not. Is it right to do what ACL appear to be doing - as a fan of the club of course not. The whole thing stinks - None of them give a toss about the club that much is clear

It is right for a local council and Coventry charity to negotiate to parachute in a sports franchise into Coventry, and one that will have significant detrimental effect on 2 community Coventry sports clubs that have been representing Coventry for 270 years between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator

It is funny, some of the most outraged fans who refused to go when we moved now seem to think that this is just business.

Of course any business will want to make money, I don't blame anybody for trying to make money for their business. It just makes you look like dicks after giving it sob stories saying how it is wrong Coventry City weren't playing in Coventry, going on about our heritage etc etc then even considering allowing Wasps play there. Either you are giving it the moral high-ground or you aren't.

You are right, it is just business for everybody.

Nick

Administrator
What? Of course it will matter if we move to a small town near Coventry. That is my point. We will have no choice if SISU don't alter their stance. That will be the end of all our ambitions.

It doesn't matter if it is Wasps or anyone else. Sooner or later the Ricoh will be taken. That is the problem - not Wasps.

The people who have the power to change that are SISU. Make an offer and drop the stadium and JR, then we can move on - Wasps will have to wait and see.

You have misread everything that I said. I even made a point that I don't hate SISU or TF. I hate their stubborness which could lose us our home. Why you talk about morals and Wasps I don't know. They are at best a symptom, but the cause is SISU's stance.

Of course SISU need to buy the stadium or get a long leasehold. They should drop the JR the same as ACL should stop hawking the stadium about if they both want to talk. All sides are being stubborn and they are all playing pathetic games, this wasps thing being one of them. The thing is though, ACL have city fans lapping up everything ;)

"Oh wasps are interested, we must match their bid and buy"

Morals and Wasps moving into the Ricoh, you can't see what I am on about? It would be a totally different scenario if it was Coventry Rugby Club moving in wouldn't it?

Monners

It is right for a local council and Coventry charity to negotiate to parachute in a sports franchise into Coventry, and one that will have significant detrimental effect on 2 community Coventry sports clubs that have been representing Coventry for 270 years between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

No it isn't - I think I said that didn't I? Along with the owners of our Club not giving a toss either.

Astute

Oh yes people changing their tune.

Those that were going on about the Ricoh being a white elephant as only our club would ever want to play there are now crying foul because they were wrong. And would you like to point out where anyone has said that they would be happy for Wasps to play at the Ricoh or have a share of ACL?

And where were all those that are crying about Wasps playing at the Ricoh when they played here before? Instead of blaming ACL for everything how about questioning SISU on their next move?

stupot07

No it isn't - I think I said that didn't I? Along with the owners of our Club not giving a toss either.

Apologies, posting one handed whist walking the dog. Hadn't meant to quote you

Monners

It is funny, some of the most outraged fans who refused to go when we moved now seem to think that this is just business.

Of course any business will want to make money, I don't blame anybody for trying to make money for their business. It just makes you look like dicks after giving it sob stories saying how it is wrong Coventry City weren't playing in Coventry, going on about our heritage etc etc then even considering allowing Wasps play there. Either you are giving it the moral high-ground or you aren't.

I don't support it Nick - I said it stinks! And yes, I was quite rightly outraged when the Club moved out of Cov. I went nowhere near SIxfields for the season even though it is only 3 miles up the road form where I live.

Delighted that we are back, and looking forward to taking the lad to his first game. That is why I think the whole thing stinks! - business comes first - never mind what the fans think, or what supporting a team and home town is all about.

Nick

Administrator
Oh yes people changing their tune.

Those that were going on about the Ricoh being a white elephant as only our club would ever want to play there are now crying foul because they were wrong. And would you like to point out where anyone has said that they would be happy for Wasps to play at the Ricoh or have a share of ACL?

And where were all those that are crying about Wasps playing at the Ricoh when they played here before? Instead of blaming ACL for everything how about questioning SISU on their next move?

I am on about the people excusing it if it happened, the London Luton airport not being in London comment for one.

Can you point out where I have ever said nobody would want to play there?

Who is blaming ACL for everything? Nobody is blaming ACL 100% for everything, maybe they can just see that there is more than one side to everything? That everybody is playing one big game.

We all know SISU are pricks, shit owners etc. It is amazing how some people like to deflect onto them though when ACL are being hypocrites also.

Nick

Administrator
I don't support it Nick - I said it stinks! And yes, I was quite rightly outraged when the Club moved out of Cov. I went nowhere near SIxfields for the season even though it is only 3 miles up the road form where I live.

Delighted that we are back, and looking forward to taking the lad to his first game. That is why I think the whole thing stinks! - business comes first - never mind what the fans think, or what supporting a team and home town is all about.

I agree, it is all business, it always has been for all sides. Nobody cares about the club or the fans whether it is SISU or ACL.

skybluetony176

What I want to know Nick is have you mowed your lawn yet in protest?

Grendel

So effectively you are an advocate of franchise football? The reasons you give pretty much mirror winkleman and his reasoning. If Dublin has a 70,000 stadium I assume you'd be happy if CCFC relocated there.

"A few wasps fans might not like it - I don't know" FFS have a word with yourself.

Danceswithhorses

Of course its nonsense :facepalm: Wasps only played in London from 1867 until 2002, a small matter of 135 years. They now have played in Wycombe, just outside London for 12 years, so to say they are not a London club is disingenuous in the extreme.
Where did i say that they were 'not a LONDON club' ?
I said that they'd dropped the prefix LONDON and weren't currently playing in LONDON.
To use some statistics, they were called LONDON wasps for only 15 out of 147 years.
Wasps IS their name, not LONDON Wasps

Nick

Administrator
What I want to know Nick is have you mowed your lawn yet in protest?

Not yet, the back garden is artificial and the neighbour did the front for me not long ago while he was doing his. I am going to find an equally effective to sort this issue.

Don't worry, I will claim credit for it whatever happens. The day before the announcement I will have driven to work a different way in protest or something ;)

torchomatic

Nobody has no issues. So the twisting of the facts continues before the facts of the talks between ACL and Wasps is known.
True. Maybe they're not trying to relocate a London team at all but discussing the new series of Strictly Come Dancing?

Sent from my phone using my chubby sausage fingers so please excuse any errors.

RPHunt

This really is very simple isn't it?

There is a sports stadium in Coventry that is looking for a permanent tenant. If the owners of CCFC want that permanent tenancy then they should say so and agree a deal. If not, there appears to be interest from at least one other party so that tenancy may not be available indefinitely.

The owners of CCFC have been dicking everyone around for long enough. Forget all the other stuff and the crocodile tears about supporters of a different game in another part of the country, it is the owners that have brought about this situation. They have now lost any chance of controlling the situation and should grasp the lifeline, that a tenancy represents, while it is still there. Nobody believes a new ground will be built and without that, or a tenancy at the Ricoh, then CCFC will surely cease to exist.

martcov

So effectively you are an advocate of franchise football? The reasons you give pretty much mirror winkleman and his reasoning. If Dublin has a 70,000 stadium I assume you'd be happy if CCFC relocated there.

"A few wasps fans might not like it - I don't know" FFS have a word with yourself.

L

limoncello

It's Sisu's fault that a joint venture involving Coventry City Council and a charity which helps the people of Coventry are stitching up Coventry rugby club by enabling the move of a London based team to Coventry.

You guys!

martcov

Can you read ffs! I said some Wasp fans may see it as good for the future of wasps. I don't know. I was in Dublin last Year at the Heineken Cup final. Fantastic! I still want CCFC in Cov.... Not near Cov. That's the difference between me and SISU. Don't blame ACL for talking to Wasps. Blame the people who want a stadium near Coventry. Where do I advocate franchise football? The Name is Cov, they should Play in Cov.

Nick

Administrator
Can you read ffs! I said some Wasp fans may see it as good for the future of wasps. I don't know. I was in Dublin last Year at the Heineken Cup final. Fantastic! I still want CCFC in Cov.... Not near Cov. That's the difference between me and SISU. Don't blame ACL for talking to Wasps. Blame the people who want a stadium near Coventry. Where do I advocate franchise football? The Name is Cov, they should Play in Cov.

So you agree it would be disgusting if Wasps moved to play their home games at the Ricoh?

Of course people will blame ACL for talking to them, do SISU have a gun to their head or something?

Yes the club should have bought in years ago, we know that. Nobody is forcing ACL to discuss moving in a non Coventry team though are they?

martcov

It's Sisu's fault that a joint venture involving Coventry City Council and a charity which helps the people of Coventry are stitching up Coventry rugby club by enabling the move of a London based team to Coventry.

You guys!

Yes it is SISU's fault. What part of "we're building our own stadium" do you not understand?

L

limoncello

No Michael it wasn't its something else although the Wasps thing was something I heard , at the time I dismissed it but now:thinking about:

You are so in the know mate. It's frightening. You haven't got your finger on the pulse you are the pulse! Much respect.

Users who are viewing this thread