Match Thread Leeds United - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 16th Dec (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Leeds United - Coventry City match, tactics and predictions :)

slowpoke

Interesting one assuming all last nights are fit I reckon Eccles & Palmer could will but for who ?

Offhegoes

No way he will start the same team on Sat. If everyone is fit I'd make one change, Eccles for Allen, but I can't see O'Hare & Sakamoto both starting this game.

edgy

Wouldn't change anyone personally. Yes they'll be tired but make the changes early. Everyone is in decent enough form performance wise.

You take Sakamoto and O'Hare out of the team and our creativity drops significantly. They are pro atheletes, they can handle another 50-60 mins.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Eccles and Godden in for Sheaf and Simms.

We have a stronger squad now, and no one should be undroppable. If someone is playing sub-par, another player deserves their chance. See the JDS and Bidwell situation from earlier on.

Going to be a very tough game, but let's go at them.

shmmeee

We have a stronger squad now, and no one should be undroppable. If someone is playing sub-par, another player deserves their chance. See the JDS and Bidwell situation from earlier on.

I wouldn’t play Godden in a game we’re not likely to dominate possession.

Martin180

I honestly can't see how Godden improves us in this system. Simms isn't scoring but he occupies the centre backs and stretches them , he creates a lot of the space that O'Hare ,Wright and Sakamoto have been utilising so well the last two games . I would worry that we become flat and turgid with Godden back up top

Martin180

Given we've made few changes the last two games, had to chase the ball around a lot last night and we've got games coming think and fast I can see some changes for Leeds. Eccles coming in for one.
I get why Allen gets a lot of plaudits from Robins and fans alike but against a big physical midfield like last night he got bullied too easily at times . Would start Eccles over him against Leeds

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I wouldn’t play Godden in a game we’re not likely to dominate possession.
I honestly can't see how Godden improves us in this system. Simms isn't scoring but he occupies the centre backs and stretches them , he creates a lot of the space that O'Hare ,Wright and Sakamoto have been utilising so well the last two games . I would worry that we become flat and turgid with Godden back up top

I don't disagree with either of your points. I'm just not sure Simms is doing enough to warrant keeping a place.

We all want to see him do well and we have to accept that probably means he needs a run in the side, but after recent peformances from the former, if Godden is knocking on the door asking to play, you couldn't blame him.

Martin180

I don't disagree with either of your points. I'm just not sure Simms is doing enough to warrant keeping a place.

We all want to see him do well and we have to accept that probably means he needs a run in the side, but after recent peformances from the former, if Godden is knocking on the door asking to play, you couldn't blame him.
My only worry would be that Wright moves central and Godden comes in left side . Like I said it's been Simms ability to stretch the back line that's been beneficial to the team of late and Godden just can't do that . I do however fully understand that a number nine needs to get himself amongst the goals

shmmeee

Im not a Simms fan at all at the moment, but there’s no one else who can play that role really. I wouldn’t bring Godden back for either of the next two.

Martin180

I like to watch a player's body language. Earlier in the season when things weren't happening for Wright you could see his body language was poor at times . Simms is having a worse time than Wright was but still chases down , harries and puts himself about . While he is doing that I would stick with him for the next two games and would love to see him bag a goal , even if it's a misshit or a deflection

Offhegoes

Godden for Simms for this match would be a head-scratcher. We need a guy up there to hold the ball up, and run with it to relieve the obvious pressure we will be under. They lost on Tuesday so will be coming out fighting on Sat.

Hertsccfc

I like to watch a player's body language. Earlier in the season when things weren't happening for Wright you could see his body language was poor at times . Simms is having a worse time than Wright was but still chases down , harries and puts himself about . While he is doing that I would stick with him for the next two games and would love to see him bag a goal , even if it's a misshit or a deflection
Do you really think so? I don't enjoy criticising players but I don't see this with Simms and I think we desperately need to strengthen up front in January.

Simms is the only player who has played in every match and he has started the more than half, including the last two when he hasn't even looked close to scoring. I wish we hadn't played him so much and had given him time. He seems the opposite to Wright and hasn't developed at all. He is playing exactly as he was at the start.

I really want him to be a success but at the moment I don't feel he should be playing.

Martin180

Do you really think so? I don't enjoy criticising players but I don't see this with Simms and I think we desperately need to strengthen up front in January.

Simms is the only player who has played in every match and he has started the more than half, including the last two when he hasn't even looked close to scoring. I wish we hadn't played him so much and had given him time. He seems the opposite to Wright and hasn't developed at all. He is playing exactly as he was at the start.

I really want him to be a success but at the moment I don't feel he should be playing.
I wasn't suggesting he is a massive goal threat currently but he isn't hiding and he is doing the role that he is being asked by Robin's .
I don't see anyone else with his physical attributes who can do what he is doing with the squad

Hertsccfc

I wasn't suggesting he is a massive goal threat currently but he isn't hiding and he is doing the role that he is being asked by Robin's .
I don't see anyone else with his physical attributes who can do what he is doing with the squad
It must just be me but I don't see what he is providing other than the occasional good lay off. He really squandered an excellent chance when put through by Sheaf late in the first half.

I think he needs time but we need someone now to fulfil that role more effectively and recently Godden hasn't looked much better.

ccfcricoh

same 11 for me and earlier changes if needed for fatigue.

Fully expecting Leeds to be better than Southampton and more dangerous in the final 3rd, so another good test for the new look defence

Martin180

It must just be me but I don't see what he is providing other than the occasional good lay off. He really squandered an excellent chance when put through by Sheaf late in the first half.

I think he needs time but we need someone now to fulfil that role more effectively and recently Godden hasn't looked much better.
Like I said I'm not suggesting he is performing well but he does stretch the defence with his pace and physicality and that is creating space for others

Skyblueweeman

Had we won last night, I would've said Saturday is somewhat of a free hit. Given we only took a point (which I would've taken before the game to be fair), I'm hoping for 3 but expecting 0-1.

clint van damme

Best form of defence with this group is attack imo. Eccles for Sheaf , keep the rest the same. Make Leeds worry about our attacking threat and don't remove an attacking option for a more negative one .

As critical Al as I am of SheafI just can't bring myself to call for dropping him given what he can bring to the table.
I'd bring Eccles in for Allen.

SBAndy

I’d be half-tempted to see Latibeaudiere come in at CM just to screen the back 4. Piroe is likely to float between the lines so blocking off that space could be vital. Not entirely sure how the rest of the midfield shapes around that if we were to do it.

Martin180

I’d be half-tempted to see Latibeaudiere come in at CM just to screen the back 4. Piroe is likely to float between the lines so blocking off that space could be vital. Not entirely sure how the rest of the midfield shapes around that if we were to do it.
Not when you've got Sheaf , Kelly and Eccles who are all better in that position

Nick

Administrator

This obsession with wanting to play him in midfield has to stop. Robins put him on there one game and he was nowhere near as good as in his actual positions!

SBAndy

This obsession with wanting to play him in midfield has to stop. Robins put him on there one game and he was nowhere near as good as in his actual positions!

The only time I can see that he’s had at CM this season is vs Ipswich. Don’t remember him being overly bad, although it is a while ago now. On the whole I’m not keen on him in CM but I just think for this one game we need someone defensive-minded in that position. Even Kelly might be a shout (don’t know if he’s fit or not).

skyblue_55

We have to be a little concerned about Sheaf’s drop in quality at present. Is it the captain’s role , or just the being human form loss .
Lats is very capable in sheaf’s role , with Eccles & Palmer vying for Jamie Allen’s position…….. but please don’t put Eccles on corners !

Users who are viewing this thread