Transfer Rumour Jerry Yates (1 Viewer)

rexo87

I rate him. Doubt we will spend more than a couple million on him though

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

SeasiderRob

What would you say his strengths and weaknesses are as a player?
He holds the ball up well, brings others into the game, he’s quick, gives 100% all game and has an eye for goal. He has a great relationship with the fans and he understands our passion for the club. The Seasiders fans have accepted that he’ll be off, he’s too good for L1 now (he scored 23 goals last time we were there) but they’re sad to see him go. He’ll be a good addition to any Championship side and had we had more players like him we’d have stayed up.

Somerset Sky Blue

Seems like a good player to have - price rather than quality is the issue for me.
If they have already refused a 2.5m bid, certainly looking for 3m+. Is that good value - depends if MR thinks he can improve him and he fits in.
If we can get two strikers who can each get 15 goals for 6m combined in the championship, surely not a bad start for a promotion push. I think it is unlikely we will get another striker who scored 20+, so spreading goals around is a good start.

Somerset Sky Blue

Looking at top goalscorers in championship this year, Middlesbrough had best pair of 39 goals, but that was rare. Millwall next with 30 and Burnley/us had combined 29.
Given our strong defense/clean sheets, we can win games 1-0.

SeasiderRob

Seems like a good player to have - price rather than quality is the issue for me.
If they have already refused a 2.5m bid, certainly looking for 3m+. Is that good value - depends if MR thinks he can improve him and he fits in.
If we can get two strikers who can each get 15 goals for 6m combined in the championship, surely not a bad start for a promotion push. I think it is unlikely we will get another striker who scored 20+, so spreading goals around is a good start.
Our fans recognise Mark Robins as the best manager in the EFL, so if anybody could develop Jerry Yates, it’s him.

bigfatronssba

That’s a better position to be in anyway.
This year if Gyokeres had got injured we would’ve been stuffed

blunted

Chaplin and JCH had poor records here yet went to score 20+ goals once they left. Yates playing alongside better quality players will allow his quality to shine more.

That being said I'd see him as a 2nd striker and not a direct replacement for Yok.
Championship is a different ball game. JCH was poor in the Championship with Peterborough. Chaplin may be ok next year but no guarantee. Both left because they were not good enough for what we needed at the time. Dabo and Rose were outstanding in L1. Not so good in the higher league. How many of Yates goals were from open play? Godden is brilliant at penalties

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I’ve seen Jerry Yates many times for Blackpool. He never stops running, gives everything every game and has a good eye for goal. Blackpool fans are keen to keep him but resigned to losing him following relegation. He’s not the same sort of player as Gyokores, but if City get him (West Brom, Bristol City and Ipswich - who I believe are the club who had £2.5m turned down - are also interested) they will have got a really good Championship player. He has 2 years left at Bloomfield Rd including the year’s option so I think £4m would get him.
I think that price is a bit too high for us to spend on him.

Happy_Martian

Looking at top goalscorers in championship this year, Middlesbrough had best pair of 39 goals, but that was rare. Millwall next with 30 and Burnley/us had combined 29.
Given our strong defense/clean sheets, we can win games 1-0.

Middlesboro had Akpom and Archer. We won't prise Akpom away but Archer will be back at Villa. Cheeky loan deal ? :D Millwall won't sell Bradshaw or Flemming cheaply and Burnley have sold Barnes and Tella has returned to Soton so their goal threat has disappeared. Soton won't let Tella go out again to a Champ club, he'll stay there or go to a lower Prem club.

slowpoke

I’d think if Robins wants him £2.5/£3 mill would be okay, doubt it would be paid in one lump, he’s a good player and a bit different type to Godden. I think he would suit our way of playing.

Somerset Sky Blue

Hes decent and I wouldn't say no

But 4 million is a fucking joke of a price.

They're in L1 and he hasn't exactly ripped up trees in his career, 1.5 should be enough
"Should" is key here. I wouldn't want us to spend 4m on him (unless MR thinks it is good value).
But the price depends on the scarcity of goalscorers and how desperate others are. If the rumoured bid of 2.5m for a 26 year old (?) is accurate, we either pay the market price or we move on. He is no guarantee of goals, but neither would a 1m gamble on an unproven young player.

Somerset Sky Blue

I wouldn’t pay that for him (still never seen him play) but he scored as many non penalty goals as Hamer playing up front and is 26 so not likely to massively improve. If we were going to spend £4m on a striker I’d go abroad.
I haven't seen him play either! 🙂

PVA

I'm not saying he's worth £4m, but 14 goals for a relegated side is pretty impressive.

He outscored Joao Pedro who's just signed for Brighton for £25m, McBurnie who played 38 games for the 2nd best team in the league etc etc

slowpoke

He scored 14 in a relegated team, I would think he could do that here. Robins will go after players who he believes will fit in and suit our system of play,rumours saying Blackpool have turned down £2.5 million from an unnamed club not surprised they would love a bit of an auction as we would for one of ours, don’t know how real our interest is but Yates has proved he can play & score at championship level.

Users who are viewing this thread