Match Thread Ipswich Town - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 2nd Dec (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Spot on. I understood his thinking & it could have worked. The analysts & coaches spend hours analysing footage of opponents & setup accordingly not just "shit themselves" coz we're playing a good side.

We had spells in the game where we were well in the ascendancy which doesn't happen often as an away team at Portman Road. We really need to score in these moments though as they end up defining the result more often than not. After about 25mins we were well on top & then they scored an absolute wonder goal & killed us.

We took far too long to get going though, the first goal was embarrassingly easy & the change in shape/personnel undoubtedly played a part as we looked lost. We also had a lucky escape when van Ewijk forgot to push up with rest of the defence & played Broadhead clean through.
Respect your opinion, but I don’t think even your footballing brain can account for the decision to start Ayari if bossing midfield was the plan.

PVA

Godden and Saka starting instead of Ayari and O’Hare is more of a gamble how exactly?

That's not what I'm saying. I wouldn't have picked the team he did. But it was a lick of paint on the crossbar away from working.

My point was that some people (not saying you're one of them) would have still moaned at his team selection if we'd played Saka and Godden, had a go, and got beat.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's not what I'm saying. I wouldn't have picked the team he did. But it was a lick of paint on the crossbar away from working.

My point was that some people (not saying you're one of them) would have still moaned at his team selection if we'd played Saka and Godden, had a go, and got beat.
Very few would complain given the opposition’s form. The real damage was done by selecting Ayari and getting Wright to effectively play the lone striker down the middle which we know isn’t his strength. That he was hooked at half time says everything.

Frostie

Respect your opinion, but I don’t think even your footballing brain can account for the decision to start Ayari if bossing midfield was the plan.
Yeah, that was a surprise & I wouldn't have selected him. I can only think he wanted to utilise his creativity to help spring quick counter-attacks. Needless to say, it didn't work.

My point really is that it wasn't something MR just fancied doing on a whim or that he was "shitting himself". He, and particularly AV, will have identified things we needed to prepare against & also things we could possibly exploit.

Ultimately, as I said, we got it wrong. It was nearly right but it took too long to get a grip of the game, we were all over the place early on & it cost us.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, that was a surprise & I wouldn't have selected him. I can only think he wanted to utilise his creativity to help spring quick counter-attacks. Needless to say, it didn't work.

My point really is that it wasn't something MR just fancied doing on a whim or that he was "shitting himself". He, and particularly AV, will have identified things we needed to prepare against & also things we could possibly exploit.

Ultimately, as I said, we got it wrong. It was nearly right but it took too long to get a grip of the game, we were all over the place early on & it cost us.
Fair

Johhny Blue

It’s more likely that we were a lick of paint on the crossbar away from losing 3-1

Legia Sky Blue

We had a system that was working and we threw it in the bin to play conservative. Unsurprisingly to those that were skeptical, it was the wrong move. Robins made changes at half time (which he never does) which just confirms it was a bad call.

The set up resulted in us going in at half time two down. We then flipped back more towards the system we had been successful with and we then looked better.

Some people think football is just like football manager and it's some sort of simulation. Data and stats isn't enough. There was no common sense in what Robins did and the arguments for it are weak at best. We lost. After starting the game with a disadvantage we inflicted on ourselves.

Most people wouldn't have really given a fuck if we would have lost against Ipswich as they're a strong team, it was the way we went about it.

Unless my memory is failing me and without checking, I'm pretty sure he has made changes a few times at half time this season.

pusbccfc

Ccfcisparks

It'd alright, we've only got a local derby against Birmingham plus Southampton, Sunderland, Leeds, Middlesbrough and Leicester in the next 5 weeks.

Even Wednesday are beginning to build after two brilliant results and we never win against Swansea.
Well we’ve got a lot more points than you expected right. Told you to be patient.

Legia Sky Blue

They will probably fall out of automatics, but will still finish in the play offs, as even relegation form between now and the end of the season will see them remain in the top 6. Might be ideal opposition in the play offs though if their form does continue to slide.

Users who are viewing this thread