Increasing the scope of var (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

Other sports are generally pretty boring, especially compared to football.
Let’s not forget VAR was brought in for good reason in the first place.

The implementation has been wrong from the get go, specifically:
- Lack of communication protocols between officials checking incidents, shown with the Diaz disallowed goal debacle. In rugby, there’s a clear script to follow - ‘here is my decision, do you agree/disagree’

- Likewise, we can’t hear why referees make the decisions they do so we have no idea why they’ve come to ‘x’ decision. Again, I’m rugby, if there’s head-to-head contact with no mitigation, it’s a red card and fans might think that rule is rubbish, there’s an understanding of why the referee had to give that. This would be very handy in explaining some of the penalty decisions.

- Lack of any challenges - in the NFL, tennis and cricket there is a challenge system if players/coaches think a decision is wrong

- finally, there’s an issue with how things are referred using VAR. Too often, VAR is telling referees should look at something which, imo, biases their decision making to give what’s been referred. This is probably why it’s so rare to see referees go against VAR. In other sports, it’s the referees referring to VAR to essentially check if they’ve given the right decision.

It shouldn’t be this difficult to implement technology that should’ve changed the game for the better.

AJB1983

Before we had it, every week fans/pundits/managers were saying ‘the refs need help’, so it’s here to stay.
it’s the implementation for me….

I would be happy with a referral type system. For example, a ref gives a penalty. The defending team are adamant it was a dive, so they ask for a review….. VAR has a look. The opposite could be done too, ref thought it was a dive, attacking team asks for a review.
Offsides too the same, but it’s got too pinickity with that - a player being a toes length offside cos his boot is bigger than the defenders etc.
Needs to be the torso like in athletics on photo finishes I think.
maybe even limit it like in tennis - stops them asking for everything and they might be a bit smarter with what they refer?

All these “looking for the tiniest infringements/re-reffing game” isn’t what it should be there for.
There’s got to be a line in the sand for the sorts of incidents it should be checking.

fernandopartridge

Before we had it, every week fans/pundits/managers were saying ‘the refs need help’, so it’s here to stay.
it’s the implementation for me….

I would be happy with a referral type system. For example, a ref gives a penalty. The defending team are adamant it was a dive, so they ask for a review….. VAR has a look. The opposite could be done too, ref thought it was a dive, attacking team asks for a review.
Offsides too the same, but it’s got too pinickity with that - a player being a toes length offside cos his boot is bigger than the defenders etc.
Needs to be the torso like in athletics on photo finishes I think.
maybe even limit it like in tennis - stops them asking for everything and they might be a bit smarter with what they refer?

All these “looking for the tiniest infringements/re-reffing game” isn’t what it should be there for.
There’s got to be a line in the sand for the sorts of incidents it should be checking.
I can't remember ever hearing that refs need help, especially from people going to the match. Usually complain about a decision but it's relatively short lived.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

"and some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over..... It is no ....no hold on, the referee is listening to somebody watching on television and Hurst's shoulder was an inch beyond the last man, or was it?.......

It is now"

San Francisco

Other sports are generally pretty boring, especially compared to football.

Nonsense. Rugby and Basketball are on average more fun to watch than football. Most football games are actually very pedestrian with very little end-to-end action.

Edit: Playing football on the other hand is very fun.

Last edited:

stupot07

Nonsense. Rugby and Basketball are on average more fun to watch than football. Most football games are actually very pedestrian with very little end-to-end action.

Absolutely no way is Rugby more fun to watch than football. I do enjoy the end to end fast paced nature or basketball though.

skyblueinBaku

"Very fun". Meaningless Americanism.

Mucca Mad Boys

Other sports are irrelevant to the discussion.

Let’s agree to disagree. VAR is here to stay and it’s a question of improving it to the needs of our game.

We both know that other sporting bodies will be consulted to see how they approach this side of the game. Concepts may or may not work, but at the least will be influential.

Side note: Football may be adopting a ‘sin bin’ rule that definitely was not inspired by other sports.

The Philosopher

That handball by their “Tats” was nailed on pen with VAR and the Sims pull down was probably a red for the defender.

It could be argued that the “dive” by their player in the box might have been given the other way - Thomas slight contact.

Not advocating VAR, just saying how different the game would have been.

Users who are viewing this thread