Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (6 Viewers)

stevefloyd

It runs deeper than that. We don’t play in a way that delivers many goals. To me, it’s the system, not the players.
I think the players do contribute to an extent....nah fuck it you may be right they don't hardly contribute at all

pusbccfc

We created enough yesterday to win the game

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

In the first half, definitely. We were unlucky. In the second half, we didn't create much. Lots of passing just outside the box without the final ball.

shmmeee

One could argue we’ve never had the squad/resources to. Having gone out and spent big on strikers as well as bringing in far more attacking wing-backs, that no longer applies.

We’ve always played a conservative game. Even when winning L1 at a canter we dominated the ball but mostly won by the odd goal and generally only the lone striker gets a significant number of goals.

Hertsccfc

Think this is it. We seem to have changed playing style to something more ‘attractive’ but not thought about whether that works for the players at our disposal. Countless times we slow-play it so much to the edge of the opposition box that it’d take a miracle pass for Simms/Godden/Wright to have a chance.

We’re 13th in terms of ‘Big Chances Created’ but our stats leader with 3 of the 16 is…Gustavo Hamer. Take his out and we drop to 17th. That in itself should be saying the style of play isn’t working. Neither Simms nor Wright are rapid, but they’d be far more effective with space behind the opposition defence to run into. We also need to see midfielders breaking with more intensity to join the attack - as much as I’m not overly keen on Jamie Allen, he’s the only option we have who does this anywhere near consistently.
Agree with much of this but Wright looks very rapid to me. There have been a number of occasions when he has shown this including the first time he touched the ball yesterday and against Leicester when he hit the bar and when he set Godden up for a goal (Watford match?). I can't think of a forward since Callum Wilson as quick. Simms I think is deceptive, a bit like Gyokrres, but only over a distance and seems very slow to react.

Last edited:

junglej13

Agree with much of this but Wright looks very rapid to me.
He occasionally looks quite fast over the first 5-10 yards but then doesn't seem to be able to sustain the speed. Not sure if this is down to stamina or something else. Never looks like getting away from his defender.

fatso

You said Jamie Allen "wasn't very good at football" last season though.
He's not a good player when you compare him to Hamer, O'hare, Gyokeres and Sheaf.

However, this season compared to Eccles, Kelly, Wright, and Simms, he looks excellent.

Shfwf.

Briles

Not one for conspiracies but have kastaneer and wright ever been seen in the same room?

SBAndy

Could do much worse than just ask Chris Badlan nicely to come back…

Been mulling this over (not the Q of re-appointing him, more the general scenario). Badlan came in with a track record of focussing on European scouting for a team at a higher level. We now have Dean Austin (who seems to have spent just 4 of the last 20 years focussing on recruitment!) and Jamie Johnson who has been working at lower-league clubs since 2016. The question is how much prior knowledge either of them had about some of our signings. Not bashing them by any means, just a bit of a head-scratcher.

Bit of a caveat: I suppose there wasn’t really an expectation for the relaxation of Brexit recruitment laws (I’m paraphrasing).

Grendel

Can everyone please stop obsessing about the fee paid for Haji? You’re hanging it round his neck like an albatross FFS.

If he’d cost 1.5m or 2m there’d be a lot of comments on here about him being potentially exciting and a good bit of business that brings something different to the squad. Based on what we’ve seen so far, the £7m does look like a big gamble, but in today’s football it’s not an astronomical amount. I think he’s a good player who doesn’t deserve some of the outrageous comments. He can be electric at times and he’ll score goals, just not in the numbers that Vik delivered (he only cost a third of Vik’s fee if you look at it like that).

Taking the summer transfers as a whole, I for one am pleased with the way the squad’s being developed. People like Latibaudiere, Sakamoto and Van Ewijk are great buys, and I believe Simms will be too. I didn’t expect to be at the top of the table, because having sold two great players for big money the challenge was to bring in about 8 or 10 to fill out the whole squad. That’s not easy, and we haven’t finished yet.

He has got to be one of the highest paid in the club. You expect a better performance from a senior manager in an organisation than an apprentice

Of course his fee is relevant

Calista

He has got to be one of the highest paid in the club. You expect a better performance from a senior manager in an organisation than an apprentice

Of course his fee is relevant
I agree it's relevant, I just think obsessing about and bringing it up all the time is pointless. It's also counter-productive because it's probably piling pressure on the player that isn't helping his performances. The deal is done, let's let him just play and see what he can bring to the table.

SBT

This is the moment where Haji Wright stands up and says - if you need someone who can score against a makeshift Rotherham defence, I am your man, and it will only cost you £7 million

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I guess you weren’t around that season Mowbray lost most his best players and then we sacked him
The reason Mowbray went IMHO was he insistance on waiting for players in the transfer market who were only going to come as a last resort and ended up with better deals leaving us no time to get players in to improve things.

Alkhen

The reason Mowbray went IMHO was he insistance on waiting for players in the transfer market who were only going to come as a last resort and ended up with better deals leaving us no time to get players in to improve things.

Who was that defender that he was chasing all window? I can picture him but can't recall the name.

junglej13

Who was that defender that he was chasing all window? I can picture him but can't recall the name.
Think there was a few... Kevin Long from Burnley, Kelvin Wilson who was an absolute crock and then we ended up desperately scrambling round to sign a random Finnish crock Juhani Ojala or something.

Alkhen

Think there was a few... Kevin Long from Burnley, Kelvin Wilson who was an absolute crock and then we ended up desperately scrambling round to sign a random Finnish crock Juhani Ojala or something.
Kelvin Wilson! thats the one, I could really picture him.

Ironically binned us off for Rotherham! dodged a bullet there as he only managed 8 games for them. I do remember that one rumbling on for ages

SeaSeeEffCee

It’s a good thing we’re relatively irrelevant in the grand scheme of things because no-one outside of Cov seems to have realised that we’ve actually spent £8m on this clown. Would be the laughing stock of the league at a bigger club.

Users who are viewing this thread