Gyokeres (9 Viewers)

no_loyalty

I would like to think this saga won’t go on for too long, but if Vik has the desire to go to Sporting Lisbon only then this could drag on for sometime.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We can’t sell a player to a club he doesn’t want to go to though. Worst case is he leaves for free after being disgruntled for a season (unlikely). I agree that we shouldn’t sell to first offer* but on the flip side other clubs should move asap if they want him as they know Sporting are pushing to get the deal done. I think the window opens tomorrow so clubs should be getting offers in

*it sounds like we might turned down Sportings first offer

He isn't going to stay. He's gone. There's no way he would just run the contract down. We are the selling club, not Sporting. We have all the cards and the transfer window isn't even open yet. That transfer window is 2.5 months long. We shouldn't be looking to be pushed into making a quick sale.

If we had any sense we would make it clear to any of the clubs offering interest that there is a bid on the table and they need to beat it. Not just accept it for what it is for a player like Gyökeres. This is such a unique moment for us and we should be looking to make the absolute most out of it. I'm genuinely shocked at such a soft attitude to this and I just hope the club aren't the same way.

Sky Blue Harry H

He purchased a club with clear operational losses - I still don’t see any motive why he purchased it
Agreed, although you'd think that the position has improved, with regards to improved TV deals and improved forecast attendances, release of ST income etc helping cash flow etc. Not saying that bridges the gap, but most likely improves it. As you rightly say, that doesn't explain his motive, but that could be levied at a few purchasers. My point with the original poster was that it would be a strange business model indeed to ignore any income from player sales (as it would be expenditure).

Sick Boy

The bid hasn't been accepted yet. The transfer window isn't even open. The bids will come.

What club sells their best player to the first offer on the opening day of the transfer window? It would be amateur.

You're normally the one pointing out the small-mindedness of some of our supporters so this does surprise me.
Deals are done prior to the transfer window opening, there's nothing to stop clubs from bidding for players.

Peter Billing Eyes

When all’s said and done, when he goes, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s undisclosed unless the purchasing team publish the numbers. I’d be ok with that if it spares us a financial kicking with any players we are looking to sign.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Deals are done prior to the transfer window opening, there's nothing to stop clubs from bidding for players.

That doesn't change anything. The transfer window is 2.5 months long and many clubs take a while to get their houses in order. You won't get the most for a player as in demand as Gyökeres by doing early bird sales.

Stop shitting yourself.

Sick Boy

That doesn't change anything. The transfer window is 2.5 months long and many clubs take a while to get their houses in order. You won't get the most for a player as in demand as Gyökeres by doing early bird sales.

Stop shitting yourself.
I'm hardly shitting myself.
The point is that if a club really want to sign him they'll put in a bid, they won't wait until the end of the window if there's a chance they could miss out.

Finham

Andy Mutch, yeah, that was the guy I had in mind. Stand corrected on his being a winger, and I'm sure you're right about Bull scoring loads of goals anyway. Got to be one of the better strike forces outside the top flight ever, I'd think. Sad that, like Celtic winning the European Cup with a team all born within 30 miles of the home ground, it'll never happen again.
Surprising that they didn't go up at any point with those goals. You wonder who was so rubbish at the back but they had Mark Venus for years and he did well with Ipswich in the Prem when he got there.

Ah, the good old days of looking down on Wolves as our little lower league former rival-they seemed to be on ITV almost every Sunday!

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Stop shitting yourself.
Not necessarily - the longer it goes the more desperate we’ll get to sell. As soon as September 1st comes he’s going on a free.

we also appear to be needing to sell before we can buy so the earlier we sell the bigger the pool of players that are available to us

Johnnythespider

As long as Doug is happy covering the fees up front. Otherwise you lose as much in lost targets and increased fees as you gain.

Get him gone. Another couple of mil isn’t worth the hassle IMO. Let Sporting have him for £17m + sell on. It’s a fair price and the next talented person that we’re after might recognise us as a club that’ll be decent to its players.
That couple of million might be the difference between Hamer staying or leaving, get the best deal you can imo

clint van damme

When all’s said and done, when he goes, it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s undisclosed unless the purchasing team publish the numbers. I’d be ok with that if it spares us a financial kicking with any players we are looking to sign.

We definitely won't know the true numbers, that's a given.
But we should be wringing out every penny we can get for him.
There's not one team in the bottom half of the premiership that vik doesn't improve in my opinion.

Nuskyblue

‘Reports from Portugal last week claimed that Sporting are now willing to push to just over £17m to get their man’. No mention of add ons.
‘City’s valuation for the player, however, is understood to be north of £20m’.

I’d call £4m or £5m significant. Significant enough to pay some decent quality player wages for a few years.
In line (the valuation) with a lot of the views on here, you can't knock the lad for giving his opinion in a balanced and reasoned way. With 2/3 years in his contract he would go for near £30m, as it he has a year and that weakens our bargaining point. That said if someone wants him enough they will stump up the cash... I can see this one running and running tho, we'll want the to wring every penny.

I think something similar happened with Van Persie going from Arsenal to Man United (25m) back in 2013

SIR ERNIE

One reason you might go to Lisbon is they have a highly rated young coach, who's always linked with top jobs. Impress him, and there's a chance he comes in for you when he moves on...

I can see why he’d want to go to Sporting, they’re one of only three elite clubs in the Primeira Liga and I reckon he’d bag 25 plus goals a season. Plus guaranteed European football every season and home crowds of 30k every week, 40k for big games. There’s every chance his profile within Europe would sky rocket. He’d very quickly be on the radar of much bigger clubs.

I watched a fair bit of Portuguese football several years ago in the Algarve. More than half the league get average attendances of below 5k. Outside the top 4 or 5 clubs, the players are L1 or Championship level at best. Vik would have a field day against some of those defenders.

Good move for him at this stage of his career.

SlowerThanPlatt

I can see why he’d want to go to Sporting, they’re one of only three elite clubs in the Primeira Liga and I reckon he’d bag 25 plus goals a season. Plus guaranteed European football every season and home crowds of 30k every week, 40k for big games. There’s every chance his profile within Europe would sky rocket. He’d very quickly be on the radar of much bigger clubs.

I watched a fair bit of Portuguese football several years ago in the Algarve. More than half the league get average attendances of below 5k. Outside the top 4 or 5 clubs, the players are L1 or Championship level at best. Vik would have a field day against some of those defenders.

Good move for him at this stage of his career.
18 team league isn’t it, so 25+ goals would be impressive indeed!

Top scorer got 22 this year

SkyBlue_Bear83

Isn't Lameiras playing in the primera liga now? Shows the standard of the division, would surely be a stepping stone to a big European club for Gyokeres?

mmttww

To early, too cheap as the club has’t tested the interest through touting him out. Hoping 22-25m. Dreaming more
or tell anyone else that's interested to get offers in as soon as the window opens because we want it done. Feels like we're in the driving seat with this one. No need to wait around in case someone beats the first club's offer. For all we know, the club's helping leak the story re: Sporting to get others making offers.

slowpoke

Of the rumours the Sporting one seems the strongest and should Vik be allowed to go it sounds & again just rumour the deal mentioned a fee plus add ons the most attractive for us. Would put good money in the Tommy tank and maybe another chunk at a later date, but as I said at the minute it’s all just rumour.

Users who are viewing this thread