Guess The Crowd v Notts County (3 Viewers)

itsabuzzard

We had Premier League home games with attendances under 10K.
When I was a nipper and we were still in the top flight, I'd always check out the attendances: on many an occasion we were spared the indignity of sitting bottom of the pile by the mighty Wimbledon.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

theferret

We had Premier League home games with attendances under 10K.

That never actually happened iirc (edit: it happened twice). In Division 1 yes, not in the PL. Those gates were of the time anyway - Chelsea has 8,000 at home against us in the PL in 94/95 (could have been 93/94). Our last 4 seasons in the PL it was 20K+. All that said, the gate tomorrow (looking like around 18K) will be decent. Perspective needed.

Last edited:

jordan210

Having a quick look. the two corner blocks really have not been selling.

Need to open up block 27 and use the corner for walk ups.

theferret

When I was a nipper and we were still in the top flight, I'd always check out the attendances: on many an occasion we were spared the indignity of sitting bottom of the pile by the mighty Wimbledon.

The lowest season average we were third from bottom (92/93). Same the season after (but capacity was only 17K as we only had 3 sides of the ground open). After that there were always 3-5 clubs below us - including the likes of Leicester and Derby.

Otis

I now understand why we are not selling out.

Got BBC Breakfast on at the moment and just found out that tomorrow is Eurovision.

Guessing loads of people will record the football to watch later and be tuned in to Eurovision.

CovKid73

Yep - think we averaged 17k odd season after won the Cup but then quickly dropped off. To be fair crowds were low at a number of 'top' clubs before we were all duped into believing the hype surrounding the PL (best league in the world apparently). Chelsea used to get really poor gates until gas was discovered in Siberia. Pretty sure I've been to OT when there were only 30k rattling around - although was the late 80s.

theferret

Yep - think we averaged 17k odd season after won the Cup but then quickly dropped off. To be fair crowds were low at a number of 'top' clubs before we were all duped into believing the hype surrounding the PL (best league in the world apparently). Chelsea used to get really poor gates until gas was discovered in Siberia. Pretty sure I've been to OT when there were only 30k rattling around - although was the late 80s.

That 87/88 season we had 11th highest average, but I often remember laughing at the attendance figures. Some serious tax fiddling went on that season.

Man U had 29K for a PL game in 92/93 (their first title winning season in an age). Chelsea 8K. Comparisons with gates through to 80s into the early 90s with today are pretty pointless. Wolves averaged 4K in the 80s playing at the same level we are playing at now, with a low of 2000. It's all meaningless.

skybluesam66

yes was at uni there, and would walk up - Pay £2.80 on the gate and to be fair probably high 30's. But they were pulling in far more than anybody else, and the next highest gates were high 20s
We would not get 10000 for the less glamorous fixtures
This was in the era of watching games through iron bars/ heysel/bradford/hillsborough/millwall/ no European incentive etc

Ring Of Steel

This is the problem.

There are a bunch of clubs similar in stature- us, Forest, Leicester, Derby, Southampton, West Brom, Brum etc.

All of us went through similar periods of trouble...

...however we are the ONLY one who have never recovered, and the ONLY one who have had nothing to get behind- so they are streaking away. Right now if we had successive promotions we'd pull 20-25k regularly without breaking sweat, but the longer it goes without recovering the more our support is chipped away, new generations won't be there. Then you become like a Preston for example- enormous 'famous' club in the distant past but too long with nothing means their support was eroded and that takes decades to build back up.

I went to Old Trafford when there were 28,000 there; I was at Stamford Bridge the week before Chelsea played an FA Cup Final when there were under 9,000 there; I've been at Villa Park when there were 15,000 there.

Man City are the best team ever assembled in the Prem and they rarely have a full ground (check the info that was uncovered about how many people actually attend v how many tickets sold), Arsenal don't sell out, Spurs get crowds 5,000 below the capacity of their new ground at Wembley (does that mean their new ground is too big for them?)- Burnley only sold out 4 times this season and WBA never seem to sell out.

You can't just look at the raw figures, that doesn't tell you anything. Its about history, where you stand as a club, where you should be- if we had followed the same trajectory as the other clubs of our ilk, we'd be at 25k+ most weeks- no bother.

Seamus1

Block 27 is now open

Edit: It looks as though a number of rows towards the back of blocks 25, 26 and 27 have been blocked off. Could these be for people who will use the cash turnstiles on the day?

Last edited:

skybluesam66

Block 27 is now open

Edit: It looks as though a number of rows towards the back of blocks 25, 26 and 27 have been blocked off. Could these be for people who will use the cash turnstiles on the day?
possibly
there are certainly less than 1000 dots available . These should go by the morning
The back of 25-27 would not be enough for people paying tomorrow and on the gate, so guessing will go probably as far as 28

so this would leave the attendance at

less 3000 in the away end not taken
less 2000 in the front rows
less 4000 in blocks 29-34

in the region of 23000 so my guess is 22971

itsabuzzard

I sincerely hope this isn't the case, otherwise I might have to go outside and shoot myself.
I now understand why we are not selling out.

Got BBC Breakfast on at the moment and just found out that tomorrow is Eurovision.

Guessing loads of people will record the football to watch later and be tuned in to Eurovision.

Gibbo

During Gordon Milne's time the advice was we needed 11,000 to break even.We struggled for that sometimes
My first game - Peterborough in the third div in autumn '63 - 29,002
We have seen this year attendance follows success. Probably needs to be continued to build up a bigger base on which to build on for important matches

harvey098

Im sure that was also the break even figure mentioned recently?! That's strange after all those years if it is.

Kneeza

During Gordon Milne's time the advice was we needed 11,000 to break even.We struggled for that sometimes
My first game - Peterborough in the third div in autumn '63 - 29,002
We have seen this year attendance follows success. Probably needs to be continued to build up a bigger base on which to build on for important matches
Reckon the 002 were you and me then (Can't remember seeing you though).

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Im sure that was also the break even figure mentioned recently?! That's strange after all those years if it is.
We have a very flexible break even figure which enables SISU (or Tim) to up it every time it appears we've hit the target.

fernandopartridge

That 87/88 season we had 11th highest average, but I often remember laughing at the attendance figures. Some serious tax fiddling went on that season.

Man U had 29K for a PL game in 92/93 (their first title winning season in an age). Chelsea 8K. Comparisons with gates through to 80s into the early 90s with today are pretty pointless. Wolves averaged 4K in the 80s playing at the same level we are playing at now, with a low of 2000. It's all meaningless.

Weren't the capacity of Old Trafford reduced that year whilst they rebuilt the Stretford End.

fernandopartridge

That never actually happened iirc (edit: it happened twice). In Division 1 yes, not in the PL. Those gates were of the time anyway - Chelsea has 8,000 at home against us in the PL in 94/95 (could have been 93/94). Our last 4 seasons in the PL it was 20K+. All that said, the gate tomorrow (looking like around 18K) will be decent. Perspective needed.

I remember going vs Ipswich on a midweek game and the attendance was 9k, 1994 it was. We had a gate of 12k at home to Villa a few weeks before. I think a gate of 20k + is pretty decent and 15k on Saturday was great too.

SlowerThanPlatt

Truly shocking. Our first ever play offs. A chance to get to Wembley. The biggest home game in 20 years.

Where are part timers who went to Wembley? Where are the 30k at the return game? Where are the 30k at the Crewe game?

The Crewe and Gillingham games were £5. If it was £5 tomorrow night it would be sold out

I think some are overreacting a little about the attendance. 20,000 would be a great effort in my opinion

pusbccfc

Sad to see people thinking 20k is a good crowd. People have accepted we belong in the lower divisions.

Clubs historical our size would have sold out comfortably. In a city the size of Coventry, a fan base that travelled to Wembley in numbers of 45,000 should not be struggling to sell out its biggest home game in 20 years.

Nick

Administrator
It really is our biggest home game, much bigger than Checkatrade or Gillingham.

If we get to Wembley I will be much more nervous than the Checkatrade where I fully expected a loss so just got smashed. It made it even better that we won.

SlowerThanPlatt

Sad to see people thinking 20k is a good crowd. People have accepted we belong at this level.

Clubs historical our size would have sold out comfortably. In a city the size of Coventry, a fan base that travelled to Wembley in numbers of 45,000 should not be struggling to sell out its biggest home game in 20 years.

Why is 20k not a good crowd? And how do you work out it’s the biggest home game in 20 years? 20 years includes the FA Cup Qf against Sheffield United, Chelsea and WBA FA Cup games to get into the quarter final, Leeds in the Championship. Many more too

Ring Of Steel

Why is it so poor?

Southampton had 5,000 empty seats in their recent home game- which was touted as their most important in 20 years- as it was about them staying up. They've been as low as 21k this year and their 'real' average, ie bums actually on seats, is 26k. Burnley are having one of their best ever seasons and they have only sold out 4 or 5 times. Huddersfield- same story despite it being their best year in decades.

You can't just make arbitrary statements like that, so many other factors are at play. For example... if we were at home second leg and its 0-0 going into it- add 5,000 straight away.

For the people going on about Man Utd- their capacity was 56,000 in 1988/1989 when we won 1-0, Bannister scored and I was behind the goal. There were about 28k there and the majority seemed to be demanding Ferguson's head on a plate. And yes we did the double over them- Regis scored 1-0 when we played them, they were awful and the West Terrace was half full at best, crowd from memory was 19k....

.... less than we are about to get for a fourth division game.

Case in point- you can prove anything with figures like these, but we're doing alright.

fernandopartridge

Sad to see people thinking 20k is a good crowd. People have accepted we belong in the lower divisions.

Not at all, our average gate is 9k (which is skewed by a 28k attendance vs Accrington). Our highest average over the last 40 years is 21k. Why on earth would you necessarily think it should go another 25% beyond that?

clint van damme

lol not rich no but i wanted best seats in house for cov at wembley! halfway line, midway up,was great view

and i saw mobile phone vid from mate and the players looked like ants so money well spent i say!

those were ants, he took it before the teams came out.

Users who are viewing this thread