Great unanswered questions (1 Viewer)

Otis

I'll start, because it's been bugging me all night.

What's the larger number out of the two, umpteen or eleventy?

🤷

Covkid1968#

🤷
This has come up countless times Otis

Otis

I have already been wondering how I'm going to feel when my number's up, but this is just going to confuse me more.

I don't even know which number.

rob9872

Full or semi?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230704_075545_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230704_075545_Google.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 17

OffenhamSkyBlue

I would use umpteen every time, but not sure how big it is compared to eleventy (which i don't think i have ever used)

EDIT: Sorry that might be a more direct/strait-laced response than you were hoping for!

Covkid1968#

Why do you feel more naked with nothing on bar a pair of shoes than when you have nothing on at all?
😂😂😂 I can’t think of any reason why I would put on a pair of shoes whilst starkers… or take everything off before taking my shoes off!! But I could imagine it feels a whole lot odder

Covkid1968#

I would use umpteen every time, but not sure how big it is compared to eleventy (which i don't think i have ever used)

EDIT: Sorry that might be a more direct/strait-laced response than you were hoping for!
Eleventy only becomes relevant if you combine it with Billion. Otherwise I can imagine it never being used.

shmmeee

🤷

Eleventy.

“-teen” as a suffix implies it’s in the 13-19 range, at most between 19 & 20.

“-ty” suffix implies a multiple of ten, eleven suggests that eleventy = 110

Otis

I have never understood why saying a girl is a bit of a dog is a very negative thing, but to say to a guy "you absolute dog!!" Is a real compliment.

Otis

And why do we jump in the shower, pop down the shops, grab a taxi, hop on the bus and catch a train?

Besides, it all sounds very exhausting anyway.

That's quite a day.

shmmeee

I have never understood why saying a girl is a bit of a dog is a very negative thing, but to say to a guy "you absolute dog!!" Is a real compliment.

This is what lead to the great rift that caused the “Who Let The Dogs Out?” War. Is it a misogynistic song, or are the dogs the men themselves and is it a comment on toxic masculinity or a celebration?

Thankfully this is why we have philosophy.

shmmeee

And why do we jump in the shower, pop down the shops, grab a taxi, hop on the bus and catch a train?

Besides, it all sounds very exhausting anyway.

That's quite a day.

Can do most of these too:

Jump: static movement from outside to inside. Also bathtub side needs clearing.

Pop: implies out and in again, a temporary change of location

Grab: You have to stick your hand out to the stream of traffic and grab a taxi out of it

Hop: more active than jump as you need to get on the bus as it’s slowly moving past like in days of yore

Catch: trains feel like they stop less than taxis and are going that way anyway so you have to catch it up and be quick getting on. More active than grab

Covkid1968#

Can do most of these too:

Jump: static movement from outside to inside. Also bathtub side needs clearing.

Pop: implies out and in again, a temporary change of location

Grab: You have to stick your hand out to the stream of traffic and grab a taxi out of it

Hop: more active than jump as you need to get on the bus as it’s slowly moving past like in days of yore

Catch: trains feel like they stop less than taxis and are going that way anyway so you have to catch it up and be quick getting on. More active than grab
Take it you are on annual leave today Shmmeee?

rob9872

A little ruff? 😀

skybluetony176

🤷
Eleventy. For the simple reason umpteen is a definitive number. It’s always just umpteen. Eleventy though is always the start of a larger number, such as eleventy billion. Case closed. You’re welcome. Now go and get eleventy winks.

skybluetony176

An uphill battle is a bad thing, so when your health goes downhill shouldn't that be good? Going downhill is a piece of piss
I think it’s reference to acceleration when you go downhill. So when your health is going downhill it’s a reference to deteriorating health deteriorating at an accelerating speed.

Covkid1968#

Covkid1968#

Indeed she does 😉😀
Well the over dinner conversation where I update her on the latest SBT gossip should be a bit lively later 😳

Otis

Do racists ever drink black coffee?

Do militant vegans ever watch a film with Kevin Bacon in it?

Ian1779

On a scale of 1 - Fankaty Dabo, how difficult is it to get the right picture of a black footballer in a Twitter post?

Greggs

If you scratch your arse in the night and don't sniff your fingers, do they still smell?

Users who are viewing this thread