England Women (4 Viewers)

Skyblueweeman

I'm not het up, there is women's football and there is men's football.

The point is that they don't say it's Man Utd Women vs Aston Villa Women, it's Man Utd v Aston Villa or "Coming up, the Chelsea Manager". They clickbait it all up. To try and say that places like Sky don't try and force it on you is madness, switch Soccer AM on for a perfect example of how it's forced.

It's not being sexist to point that out, it's not sexist to point out that it's not a very good standard of football either.

Het up - not you specifically.

Mens Football and there is Womens Football - correct, there is. And one is trying to improve so it becomes better - what's the issue in that?

What damage does it do to you if they don't say it's Man Utd vs Aston Villa Women - seriously, who cares FFS?! And it's not forced - it's just media outlets giving coverage to Womens sport when they previously haven't done so - again, why does that cause some so much issue?

You're right, it's not sexist to say the standard isn't as good as the mens - I never said that and have agreed that it's not as good as mens.

What is sexist (not pointing the finger at you specifically) is to have an attitude that womens football is so shit that it doesn't deserve a place in the media.

You have a daughter right? Wouldn't you want her to emulate/idolise female footballers who are at the forefront of making the womens game better? Personally, I can't see what's wrong with that.

Skyblueweeman

It is though. Go on Bbc sport or sky sports you’ll see it. Even on radio 1 this morning a question in the quiz was about England v Latvia. Who cares? They didn’t ask how Hinckley got on and that’s a better standard and probably has more people interested in it

Who cares? Not you but many others do. And that number continues to grow.

THAT'S the point....

And yeah, I'm sure if you put a Hinckley match on TV, it would get more viewers than England Women vs Latvia....🙄

Marty

Some proper embarrassing comments on here.

Hope if some of you's have successful daughters you don't tell them they'll never be at the same level as their male counterparts.

Or if they finally find themselves in a position of power, they should just keep quiet about things that upset them...

(This is no shade on the reasonable comments around a 20-0 scoreline / the media coverage.)

Sport is different, male and female bodies are different. Men are bigger, faster, stronger, more aggressive, carry more muscle, carry less fat. Ultimately, men will out perform women in physical activities. (talking athletes here, of course a women will outperform a man who hasn't left his sofa for the past 10 years).

Skyblueweeman

Sport is different, male and female bodies are different. Men are bigger, faster, stronger, more aggressive, carry more muscle, carry less fat. Ultimately, men will out perform women in physical activities. (talking athletes here, of course a women will outperform a man who hasn't left his sofa for the past 10 years).

And the physiological differences isn't in question. But women are 50 years behind men when it comes to training etc - they've not had the opportunities afforded to men when it comes to training so men have honed their football techniques much more than women.

Regardless of the physiological differences, womens football (and sport in general) should be given a chance to grow and for people to see it in the media.

A number on here have said they're not interested in it...fair enough. Don't get uber offended though that others want to watch it and that it's on the telly.

Ccfcisparks

And the physiological differences isn't in question. But women are 50 years behind men when it comes to training etc - they've not had the opportunities afforded to men when it comes to training so men have honed their football techniques much more than women.

Regardless of the physiological differences, womens football (and sport in general) should be given a chance to grow and for people to see it in the media.

A number on here have said they're not interested in it...fair enough. Don't get uber offended though that others want to watch it and that it's on the telly.
Give women a 500 year training head start on men and the men would still be better

Skyblueweeman

Anywho, I'm done on this one ;-)

Respect peoples difference of opinion. Just don't get the hyperbole around media coverage or the fact that womens football is trying to improve.

Anyway, I'm off to sort out the accommodation requirements for Aston Villa WFC away to Man Utd WFC later this month...

Skyblueweeman

Give women a 500 year training head start on men and the men would still be better

Last response - you might be right. But you or I don't know that.

What I do know is that if the womens and mens games opportunities had been the same over the last 50 years, the standard of womens football would be higher than it is now.

It's only going to get better.

Nick

Administrator
Het up - not you specifically.

Mens Football and there is Womens Football - correct, there is. And one is trying to improve so it becomes better - what's the issue in that?

What damage does it do to you if they don't say it's Man Utd vs Aston Villa Women - seriously, who cares FFS?! And it's not forced - it's just media outlets giving coverage to Womens sport when they previously haven't done so - again, why does that cause some so much issue?

You're right, it's not sexist to say the standard isn't as good as the mens - I never said that and have agreed that it's not as good as mens.

What is sexist (not pointing the finger at you specifically) is to have an attitude that womens football is so shit that it doesn't deserve a place in the media.

You have a daughter right? Wouldn't you want her to emulate/idolise female footballers who are at the forefront of making the womens game better? Personally, I can't see what's wrong with that.

I'm not saying it has no place in the media, I'm just pointing out when Sky will push "The Manchester Derby" or "Man City v Man Utd" for example. Fair enough push it but say it's Man City Women v Man Utd rather than trying to clickbait.

It's a bit like the Telegraph sending me an alert saying "Coventry sign new Striker" but it turns out to be Cov Utd or Cov Sphinx.

No issue with women's football being on the TV or in the media, my issue is more how it's a bit forced and clickbaited. You whack Soccer AM on and it's as if they have been told they have to try to be equal.

Of course, it's a huge achievement for a woman to play any sport for their country. Don't try and merge it into the men's sport (not just football) though as they are different sports.

Yeah I do have a daughter, she can emulate or idolise anybody. It doesn't have to be a woman, it doesn't have to be a footballer. The whole "you are a girl so watch women's football" seems a bit less inclusive anyway.

Jamesimus

Attachments

• 170px-Jon_Parkin.jpg
    170px-Jon_Parkin.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 19

Jamesimus

Physically in some traits yes. But obviously football is great because it encompasses many different types of physique / attributes. 500 years of the same funding and resources of the men's game and probably only Marty from SBT would notice the 1 second difference in sprint times 😉

Warthog

I’ve watched a fair bit of Midlands Sunday league football. Sphinx and Coventrians are in a league with midlands sides think Coundon Court are a league above. They get decent funding. Good coaches, great pitches etc certainly better than Coventry Sunday league gets. They’re shite though and would lose to every Sunday league team in Cov.

It’s quite enjoyable though I don’t mind watching it.

Marty

Football isn't just a skill based sport, those little differences in each area make up for a massive difference at the end. I'm not 'uber' offended, just pointing out it's a dreadful standard and the 2 sports will never be in line with each other for the reasons. Someone mentioned how it's rammed down our throats, I actually think they do to a degree, on the BBC women's results are read out before the Championship (one of the best leagues in the world).

clint van damme

Agreed. And it's important to remember that this was the fault of the quality of the opposition and not Englands fault.

The womens games is 50 years behind the mens game in the UK so needs time to catch up but the WSL and the media deals around it are a great step to helping the womens game grow. Multiple, smaller tournaments based on level is a great idea. They're not going to grow the game like this.

But for those who constantly bemoan the quality of the womens game. I get it - it's not like mens football. But it's not going to improve if people just keep knocking it. They're trying to improve and need help and support to do so...not constant derision.

I for one look forward to my unborn daughter (3 days late...any danger?!) having female footballers as role models. Rather them than a f&*king Kardashian or someone of reality TV...

And coincidentally, 50 years is the length of time womens football was banned in this country. I'm sure it would be a lot further forward if it hadn't been.

Not that it really matters, if girls and women enjoy playing it then good luck.

Joy Division

it takes you a few seconds to realise it’s not the real Utd v Liverpool as they don’t specify.

Gosh, I hope those few seconds haven't ruined your day. Must take you a long time to recover from that.

Joy Division

It is though. Go on Bbc sport or sky sports you’ll see it. Even on radio 1 this morning a question in the quiz was about England v Latvia. Who cares? They didn’t ask how Hinckley got on and that’s a better standard and probably has more people interested in it

The England v Latvia attendance was 10,402, Hinkleys last game was 200. Just because you don't care about it, which is fine, it doesn't mean other people aren't

Warthog

The England v Latvia attendance was 10,402, Hinkleys last game was 200. Just because you don't care about it, which is fine, it doesn't mean other people aren't

I mean I was obviously exaggerating but if that’s the point you want to make. What’s the average attendance in the women’s premier league? 1k 2k? Is it even that?

Why does this merit all the coverage it gets? How does it compare to league 2 attendances or non league? And what are the ticket prices?

Warthog

My dads got radio 2 on and they’re talking about this. They’ve rang a Latvian reporter to find out how the Latvians are feeling about this. Big build up from Jeremy Vine and the reporters response was, no ones arsed. LOL

Why don’t they phone San Marino everytime we whack them? They’re acting like this is such a big deal and saying how good England were. It was embarrassing. I dread the day they win something we’ll be listening to it forever

Some idiot Brummie was there supporting Latvia. Weirdo

Skyblueweeman

And coincidentally, 50 years is the length of time womens football was banned in this country. I'm sure it would be a lot further forward if it hadn't been.

Not that it really matters, if girls and women enjoy playing it then good luck.

Yep, that's my point, why it's 50 years behind.

Exactly, I don't see why some take such offence to it.

Bugsy

My dads got radio 2 on and they’re talking about this. They’ve rang a Latvian reporter to find out how the Latvians are feeling about this. Big build up from Jeremy Vine and the reporters response was, no ones arsed. LOL

Why don’t they phone San Marino everytime we whack them? They’re acting like this is such a big deal and saying how good England were. It was embarrassing. I dread the day they win something we’ll be listening to it forever

Some idiot Brummie was there supporting Latvia. Weirdo

Ur the biggest hypocrite on this forum. On one hand u want them to get paid the same then on the other ur belittled it. U going on about mental health etc then u call someone a weirdo for all u know the brummie could be born in Latvia. Stick to your bullshit showbiz thread.

Otis

I watched the game last night and enjoyed it. Okay, Latvia were no match at all, but England do have some very good players at the moment.

The only thing I really see different with women's football is with the keepers and for many of the female keepers, the goal is far too big for them.

chiefdave

There's coverage and there's over the top inclusion and trying to force it on people.
Is it a coincide that none of the 2pm Premier League games are on Sky, BT or Amazon on the day the Womens FA Cup Final is on the BBC at 2pm?

OffenhamSkyBlue

I watched the game last night and enjoyed it. Okay, Latvia were no match at all, but England do have some very good players at the moment.

The only thing I really see different with women's football is with the keepers and for many of the female keepers, the goal is far too big for them.
The Arsenal keeper was hopeless during the Women's Cup Final yesterday

OffenhamSkyBlue

Prize on radio 1 this morning was 2 hospitality tickets to the final of the euros at Wembley. I thought this was an excellent prize but to my shock, it was the first time in radio 1 history that not one single person entered the competition. Sad
Where did you get this nugget of information from? Was it broadcast? Or off social media?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Prize on radio 1 this morning was 2 hospitality tickets to the final of the euros at Wembley. I thought this was an excellent prize but to my shock, it was the first time in radio 1 history that not one single person entered the competition. Sad
That can’t be true - I’d enter for free hospitality alone if id have known

Bugsy

CovBrummie94

They're doing a competition on talkSPORT breakfast to win tickets to the Arnold Clark Cup and plenty of blokes with little to no knowledge of women's football are calling up to try and win the tickets. I can only assume it's cause they're free.

Last edited:

chiefdave

They're doing a competition on talkSPORT breakfast to win tickets to the Arnold Clark Cup and plenty of blokes with little to no knowledge of women's football are calling up to try and win the tickets. I can only assume it's cause they're free.
If the first question was what is the Arnold Clark Cup I'd be out, never heard of it!

OffenhamSkyBlue

I'd assume it was a golf tournament or something!
But no - "four of the top 10 women's international teams" playing with each other (steady!) at such delightful venues as Middlesbrough, Wolverhampton and Norwich!
Oh, the 4 are England, Spain, Canada and Germany

Users who are viewing this thread