England Women (1 Viewer)

stay_up_skyblues

Apparently England’s qualifying form is played 6 scored 56 conceded 0. This isn’t an anti womens football post at all but perhaps they’re running before they can walk and should be growing these tournaments slowly ?

chiefdave

Apparently England’s qualifying form is played 6 scored 56 conceded 0. This isn’t an anti womens football post at all but perhaps they’re running before they can walk and should be growing these tournaments slowly ?
This, I don't see the benefit for anyone in have 20-0 scorelines. Its not entertaining to watch, it doesn't prove anything about the winning team and must be soul destroying for those on the receiving end.

Surely a smaller, more competitive tournament is of more benefit? Have multiple tournaments at different levels if needed. We've had threads on here about the need to reform the mens qualifiers due to pointless games but that's nothing compared to things like this.

It’sabatch87

This, I don't see the benefit for anyone in have 20-0 scorelines. Its not entertaining to watch, it doesn't prove anything about the winning team and must be soul destroying for those on the receiving end.

Surely a smaller, more competitive tournament is of more benefit? Have multiple tournaments at different levels if needed. We've had threads on here about the need to reform the mens qualifiers due to pointless games but that's nothing compared to things like this.
Did the England manager say there’s no easy games in qualifying?

Bugsy

Nick

Administrator
It annoyed me that a woman (whose name i can't remember, i'm afraid) "overtook" David Healy as Northern Ireland's top goalscorer of all time.

No, she really didn't - it's a different sport!

Yeah that's the thing.

Places like Sky want to make it exactly the same, they don't even differentiate now between men's and women's.

"Next up we have the Man Utd Manager, Man Utd Striker etc" but then it's a woman.

Skyblueweeman

Agreed. And it's important to remember that this was the fault of the quality of the opposition and not Englands fault.

The womens games is 50 years behind the mens game in the UK so needs time to catch up but the WSL and the media deals around it are a great step to helping the womens game grow. Multiple, smaller tournaments based on level is a great idea. They're not going to grow the game like this.

But for those who constantly bemoan the quality of the womens game. I get it - it's not like mens football. But it's not going to improve if people just keep knocking it. They're trying to improve and need help and support to do so...not constant derision.

I for one look forward to my unborn daughter (3 days late...any danger?!) having female footballers as role models. Rather them than a f&*king Kardashian or someone of reality TV...

Covkid1968#

Covkid1968#

Agreed. And it's important to remember that this was the fault of the quality of the opposition and not Englands fault.

The womens games is 50 years behind the mens game in the UK so needs time to catch up but the WSL and the media deals around it are a great step to helping the womens game grow. Multiple, smaller tournaments based on level is a great idea. They're not going to grow the game like this.

But for those who constantly bemoan the quality of the womens game. I get it - it's not like mens football. But it's not going to improve if people just keep knocking it. They're trying to improve and need help and support to do so...not constant derision.

I for one look forward to my unborn daughter (3 days late...any danger?!) having female footballers as role models. Rather them than a f&*king Kardashian or someone of reality TV...
Yes completely agree. I’ve ordered my tickets for some of the games in the Euros next year. Well looking forward to seeing how much the game has come on.

Marty

Even the ones that sell pictures of their minge online, or the drink drivers?

Womens football, even at that level is embarrassing to watch. They just don't have it in them to perform at the levels required to make it worth watching.

Warthog

Yes I would hate for my daughter to follow in Molly Mae’s footsteps. Self made millionaire, owns multiple businesses, is a fashion designer and now creative director at PLT. I would much rather they follow Madeline Wright and play women’s football which is laughed at all over the internet because the press shove it down our throat as much as actual football and sell pictures of their gash on the internet for £2.50.

The more they force this shite onto us the more people will knock it. And having horrible characters such as Megan Rapinoe spouting nonsense doesn’t help either

Sky Blue Harry H

What I will say is that the quality has improved over the years. I watched a game at the 2012 Olympics - Sweden v Japan, and I would say the standard now is generally a level up from then.

Skyblueweeman

Even the ones that sell pictures of their minge online, or the drink drivers?

Womens football, even at that level is embarrassing to watch. They just don't have it in them to perform at the levels required to make it worth watching.

Kerry Katona sells pics of her minge online...so what? You're picking out the exception to the rule.

Like I said, they're 50 years behind mens football. It won't improve if neanderthals keep knocking it...it's only going to get better with support and patience FFS.

Nick

Administrator

I think the issue is more the way it is put across and forced which is again more down to the TV channels I guess.

They are trying too hard to be "inclusive" to the point they have near enough merged the 2 when it comes to coverage.

Jamesimus

Some proper embarrassing comments on here.

Hope if some of you's have successful daughters you don't tell them they'll never be at the same level as their male counterparts.

Or if they finally find themselves in a position of power, they should just keep quiet about things that upset them...

(This is no shade on the reasonable comments around a 20-0 scoreline / the media coverage.)

Skybluefaz

It's silly that Latvia have to come up against England when the gulf in quality was so ridiculously massive. I did however enjoy watching it with my daughter, I don't think she's ever watched women's football on the telly before and to see the team rattling goals in as they did might make her think about giving the game a go.

I did feel sorry for Latvia though, they say you win or you learn. I'm not sure the lessons learned will outweigh the confidence knock tbf.

Skyblueweeman

Yes I would hate for my daughter to follow in Molly Mae’s footsteps. Self made millionaire, owns multiple businesses, is a fashion designer and now creative director at PLT. I would much rather they follow Madeline Wright and play women’s football which is laughed at all over the internet because the press shove it down our throat as much as actual football and sell pictures of their gash on the internet for £2.50.

The more they force this shite onto us the more people will knock it. And having horrible characters such as Megan Rapinoe spouting nonsense doesn’t help either

No one is shoving it down your throat FFS....stop being so melodramatic. Why shouldn't women have the opportunity to play football at a high level...it'll take time for it to get near the level of the mens game (it might never do) but it won't improve it all with sexist attitudes like yours.

Rapinoe is divisive, granted, but again, she's the exception to the rule. And how many womens footballers sell 'pictures of their gash' compared to reality TV stars? I suspect its a minority compared to reality TV stars.

I get that people don't like womens football because the standard isn't the same. But to say it's being forced down your throat is ridiculous - just don't read/watch if it offends you that much.

To me, it's genuinely disheartening to see some of the posts like this - if you don't like womens football, fair enough. But don't complain about people trying to better themselves and the industry they work in. Standards will never improve with 1950s thinking on the subject. Times have moved on....

Skyblueweeman

I think the issue is more the way it is put across and forced which is again more down to the TV channels I guess.

They are trying too hard to be "inclusive" to the point they have near enough merged the 2 when it comes to coverage.

But that's the point - things won't improve in womens football if it continues to sit in the shade. It needs coverage for more people to become interested...that'll put more money into womens football, that'll improve the facilities, the standard of coaching, the quality of the end product.

If nothing happens, you're stuck with what you had. It NEEDS to move on and is doing so.

There's some rubbish female pundits, but there's some god awful male ones as well. If you don't like the inclusive nature of coverage, that's ok. But don't let it stop the womens game trying to improve itself in all aspects - something that will help it undoubtedly get better over time for future generations.

Nick

Administrator
But that's the point - things won't improve in womens football if it continues to sit in the shade. It needs coverage for more people to become interested...that'll put more money into womens football, that'll improve the facilities, the standard of coaching, the quality of the end product.

If nothing happens, you're stuck with what you had. It NEEDS to move on and is doing so.

There's some rubbish female pundits, but there's some god awful male ones as well. If you don't like the inclusive nature of coverage, that's ok. But don't let it stop the womens game trying to improve itself in all aspects - something that will help it undoubtedly get better over time for future generations.

There's coverage and there's over the top inclusion and trying to force it on people.

I'm not even on about the pundits either, it's how there's a strange attempt to try and merge the 2. The other day Sky Sports News sent me an alert about a Man Utd Striker signing a 3 year deal like it was big news.

I have no issue with female pundits as some do talk sense.

Jamesimus

There's coverage and there's over the top inclusion and trying to force it on people.

I'm not even on about the pundits either, it's how there's a strange attempt to try and merge the 2. The other day Sky Sports News sent me an alert about a Man Utd Striker signing a 3 year deal like it was big news.

Bloody hell imagine reading about women's football by accident, hope you're okay mate 😉

Warthog

It is properly shoved down our throats on both bbc and sky. Sky will advertise utd v Liverpool and it takes you a few seconds to realise it’s not the real Utd v Liverpool as they don’t specify. You’ll see women’s footy on the breaking news collumn as well and their tables come up. May as well show me who copeswood are playing. Actually that’s generous maybe Copeswood under 12s

Skyblueweeman

How are they trying to force it on people? They're just covering the news on womens football - to help promote it, to help it grow etc? It's not as if someone is holding a gun to your head saying 'you must watch Man Utd Women vs Aston Villa Women', is it?!

And so what if SS sent you an alert about MUWFC signing someone on a 3 yr deal and it was a women - that is big news to some. I got an alert last night about Tiger Woods and a press conference he did - that's big news to me but not to those who don't follow golf.

I just don't see why people get so het up about womens football and the fact that it's becoming more mainstream. That's only a good thing, surely? If you don't like it, don't like the way SS alert you about it, think it's not as good as mens football - no problem. But it needs to grow for future generations - that's all that's happening.

It's not some sort of media brainwashing that's going to give everyone increased Oestrogen levels that some on here would have you believe...

The gulf between some of the international teams this week has been a joke, which Dave alluded to. And he's right. Totally agree. But I for one am happy that womens football continues to grow. Sexist attitudes like some on here, need to be called out on it.

Nick

Administrator
How are they trying to force it on people? They're just covering the news on womens football - to help promote it, to help it grow etc? It's not as if someone is holding a gun to your head saying 'you must watch Man Utd Women vs Aston Villa Women', is it?!

And so what if SS sent you an alert about MUWFC signing someone on a 3 yr deal and it was a women - that is big news to some. I got an alert last night about Tiger Woods and a press conference he did - that's big news to me but not to those who don't follow golf.

I just don't see why people get so het up about womens football and the fact that it's becoming more mainstream. That's only a good thing, surely? If you don't like it, don't like the way SS alert you about it, think it's not as good as mens football - no problem. But it needs to grow for future generations - that's all that's happening.

It's not some sort of media brainwashing that's going to give everyone increased Oestrogen levels that some on here would have you believe...

The gulf between some of the international teams this week has been a joke, which Dave alluded to. And he's right. Totally agree. But I for one am happy that womens football continues to grow. Sexist attitudes like some on here, need to be called out on it.

I'm not het up, there is women's football and there is men's football.

The point is that they don't say it's Man Utd Women vs Aston Villa Women, it's Man Utd v Aston Villa or "Coming up, the Chelsea Manager". They clickbait it all up. To try and say that places like Sky don't try and force it on you is madness, switch Soccer AM on for a perfect example of how it's forced.

It's not being sexist to point that out, it's not sexist to point out that it's not a very good standard of football either.

Skyblueweeman

It is properly shoved down our throats on both bbc and sky. Sky will advertise utd v Liverpool and it takes you a few seconds to realise it’s not the real Utd v Liverpool as they don’t specify. You’ll see women’s footy on the breaking news collumn as well and their tables come up. May as well show me who copeswood are playing. Actually that’s generous maybe Copeswood under 12s

'Properly shoved down our throats'

Jesus Wept....

Warthog

'Properly shoved down our throats'

Jesus Wept....

It is though. Go on Bbc sport or sky sports you’ll see it. Even on radio 1 this morning a question in the quiz was about England v Latvia. Who cares? They didn’t ask how Hinckley got on and that’s a better standard and probably has more people interested in it

Users who are viewing this thread