England approach Roy Hodgson (1 Viewer)

rob9872

I think the deal was sanctioned by Comoli (sp?) who has recently left. I also didn't hear too many calling him an over-priced donkey at the time, but a raw 21 year old talent. It hasn't worked out perfectly but he still may come good. Who else were his options with four hours of the transfer window remaining? Can you imagine the uproar if a club like Liverpool sell their top striker on deadline day, have £50m in the coffers and don't reinvest a good amount of it? I also think Downng is decent and we've all seen Hendersen close enough at City to know what potential he has. I'm starting tosound like a fan of theirs which tbh couldn't be further from the truth, but yo have such a skewed balance to your argument that started off with a false claim that RH was a good apppointment because his record was better than Kenny's ... which it isn't. PRobably best to admit you made a mistake and move on :)

Marty

I don't think it really matters who we have as the manager. We simply don't develop or use enough Brits in the top flight to compete on the international stage. We'll probably get just get past the group stages or lose in them. Think that's pretty good for us and where the team are at the moment.

Wish we could have an import quota or a minimum Brits on field quota in the Premier league. It would benefit the international team greatly.

Agree, but no doubt be against some EU law or be called racist by the left.

rob9872

Not racist - the rule is already in place. At least 8 of your 25 man squad must be 'home grown'

Marty

I think the deal was sanctioned by Comoli (sp?) who has recently left. I also didn't hear too many calling him an over-priced donkey at the time, but a raw 21 year old talent. It hasn't worked out perfectly but he still may come good. Who else were his options with four hours of the transfer window remaining? Can you imagine the uproar if a club like Liverpool sell their top striker on deadline day, have £50m in the coffers and don't reinvest a good amount of it? I also think Downng is decent and we've all seen Hendersen close enough at City to know what potential he has. I'm starting tosound like a fan of theirs which tbh couldn't be further from the truth, but yo have such a skewed balance to your argument that started off with a false claim that RH was a good apppointment because his record was better than Kenny's ... which it isn't. PRobably best to admit you made a mistake and move on :)

I never said he was a good appointment because his record is better, Someone posted saying look how great he was at liverpool, then i put something like he has a better record then kenny, (i was wrong) but the difference isn't a lot, over 100 games it's 7 wins/losses different.

I have no idea who comoli is? but yeah he is an over rated over priced donkey, half a good season in the prem now means you're a great talent and can play for England although you have been shit for over a year. Carroll is worth 7 mill at most, Downing 10 mill, Henderson 7 mill.

rob9872

'Home grown' and British are completely different.

I know. That would be why I used the official term rather than "British"

Tad

Not racist - the rule is already in place. At least 8 of your 25 man squad must be 'home grown'

Problem is though, they can be in the squad but that doesn't mean they have to, or will be, played. Sitting in the stands does no good to a player. They could always bring a rule in that says you have to field 5 of your 11 playing team with Brits.

Paxman II

What i mean by embarrasment , was the that he lied through his teeth in the High Court , he`s a typical Cockney Wide Boy .(couldn`t lie straight in bed ).

I know Harry and this along with your other post is offensive.
very odd when people start saying things about others and yet don't even know the person they are speaking of. :facepalm:

rob9872

Why Brits though? How do paddy's taffs and jocks playing help the English team? We're in the EU so to me a jock is no different to someone from France, psain or portugal playing.

Marty

Why Brits though? How do paddy's taffs and jocks playing help the English team? We're in the EU so to me a jock is no different to someone from France, psain or portugal playing.

If i had it my way it would be English only, but i guess we'd have to include the jocks & welsh.

Tad

Sorry, I meant English players.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I never said he was a good appointment because his record is better, Someone posted saying look how great he was at liverpool, then i put something like he has a better record then kenny, (i was wrong) but the difference isn't a lot, over 100 games it's 7 wins/losses different.

Marty, YOU were the first person to mention Dalglish! Look at post #21. I said (sarcastically) "look at how well he (Hodgson) had done at Liverpool". YOU were the one that started harping on about Kenny Dalglish. You've lost the plot mate!

rob9872

Really? Great appointment. Better than Kenny :)

Marty

Marty, YOU were the first person to mention Dalglish! Look at post #21. I said (sarcastically) "look at how well he (Hodgson) had done at Liverpool". YOU were the one that started harping on about Kenny Dalglish. You've lost the plot mate!

wtf are you on about?? I never said I didn't mention him. I also never said that he should be appointed because his record is better then Kenny. Maybe you should put your glasses on you silly old fool. ;)

torchomatic

Who cares?

KarmicChris

Did wonders with Fulham and to make West Brom the team that they are today isn't easy. Don't think they've ever looked in danger of going down, when was the last tiem you could say that about West Brom?

I don't think it's the worst choice in the world to be honest.

Grendel

Kenny has a win rate at Liverpool this spell of 48.57 (first time 60.87)
Roy's was 41.94
Kenny has also won silverware and may do so again next week

How exactly is that better?

RH despite being dull can not even back it up with major trophies. He has only ever won in Sweden and Denmark which tbf is probably on par with the SPL

Hodgsons win ratio is marginally better than Redknaps and fairly consistent over most clubs. 50% win ratio for Switzerland. He has advantages including knowledge of how competitions like this evolve and what they involve. He reacts well under pressure from the media and is regarded as a top coach who will intergrate well into the set-up at Burton. Even locality will help. Redknap will not move from Sandbanks and you cannot see him intergrating fully into the Burton set up which Hodgson will at all levels.

illphil80

A far better choice than Redknapp. Would have all ended in Keegan crapness. Redknapp was never approached and is apparently surprised so don't think he turned it down. Redknapp always needed money and tonnes of transfers to do a good job. Hodgson has always took what he had and made it better. Liverpool is the only blip and that has proved to be not so bad considering how they've got worse if anything since he left. Given more time I think he'd have them in a better position than currently. Think the Fa have done a good job not just goin for the popular option.

illphil80

The England job isn't about buying talent its about moulding what you have and I think Hodgson experience of varous international football and in other leagues only builds on this tactically.

AFCCOVENTRY

good appointment.

all of his jobs were on the continent before managing in england and Swiss manager.

very wise choice. Redknapp would not have been the answer.

Gaz

Good call by the FA, imo.

I am surprised like everyone else that they havn't gone to Harry first, but I do think its important for us to have an English manager at least.
I have confidence in him for sure.

ccfc91

A far better choice than Redknapp. Would have all ended in Keegan crapness. Redknapp was never approached and is apparently surprised so don't think he turned it down. Redknapp always needed money and tonnes of transfers to do a good job. Hodgson has always took what he had and made it better. Liverpool is the only blip and that has proved to be not so bad considering how they've got worse if anything since he left. Given more time I think he'd have them in a better position than currently. Think the Fa have done a good job not just goin for the popular option.

Agreed. I also think Harry is too friendly with a lot of the old guard; dont think he handles youth too well either. Although Hodgson doesn't fill me full of promise, struggled to handle high profile players and the media at Liverpool and it'll be worse with England. Better tactically than Redknapp though. Best of a bad bunch?

B

Bobby Firenze

Terrible decision for me, Hodgsons defensive style of play is suited for smaller clubs/nations.

Based on what? 'Failing' at Liverpool yet still doing better than Kenny?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Based on what? 'Failing' at Liverpool yet still doing better than Kenny?
Hodgson record at Liverpool 42% win
Dalglish record at Liverpool (2nd spell) 48.5 % win + 2 cup finals, Liverpool have hit the post 30 times this season the most in the league and 9 more times than the next closest team and they have missed the joint most penalties. If you watch the games you will see Liverpool under Dalglish are 10x the team they were under Hodgson, add a goalscorer to help Suarez out and Liverpool will be pushing for the european places again.

No doubt Hodgson has done well at Fulham and West Brom but his teams are largely boring to watch, he is just England's better version of Alex Mcleish.

B

Bobby Firenze

Hodgson record at Liverpool 42% win
Dalglish record at Liverpool (2nd spell) 48.5 % win + 2 cup finals, Liverpool have hit the post 30 times this season the most in the league and 9 more times than the next closest team and they have missed the joint most penalties. If you watch the games you will see Liverpool under Dalglish are 10x the team they were under Hodgson, add a goalscorer to help Suarez out and Liverpool will be pushing for the european places again.

No doubt Hodgson has done well at Fulham and West Brom but his teams are largely boring to watch, he is just England's better version of Alex Mcleish.

Hodgson got 6 months and a fraction of King Kenny's budget.

Users who are viewing this thread