England approach Roy Hodgson (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueUkeman

Really, no manager will be able to manage that squad to success. The problems of the England football team are much deeper and far more chronic than simply a case of a good gaffer will get us a World Cup. What’s the point of hiring HR who will probably ask for megabucks because he is a melty-faced c**t when we have a perfectly solid manager in RH who has been out in europe and knows the score. Its the closest England fans will get to a mix between a Foreign manager who has experienced and knows how teams such as Italy approach WC’s and an English Manager who will be able to communicate well with the players, a factor wich was probably a little lost under capello. The only British manager I know off the top of my head who has managed overseas in recent years is Chris Coleman, and he’s welsh- and shit.

(Steve McLaren I suppose, but he went abroad after the England job so he doesn’t count.)

Plus, I don’t think the FA know how to wire a Salary to a dead dog’s bank account.

Gaz

Tbf Dalglish has spent 10x what Hodgson ever did.

Hodgson record at Liverpool 42% win
Dalglish record at Liverpool (2nd spell) 48.5 % win + 2 cup finals, Liverpool have hit the post 30 times this season the most in the league and 9 more times than the next closest team and they have missed the joint most penalties. If you watch the games you will see Liverpool under Dalglish are 10x the team they were under Hodgson, add a goalscorer to help Suarez out and Liverpool will be pushing for the european places again.

No doubt Hodgson has done well at Fulham and West Brom but his teams are largely boring to watch, he is just England's better version of Alex Mcleish.

dongonzalos

Hodgson record at Liverpool 42% win
Dalglish record at Liverpool (2nd spell) 48.5 % win + 2 cup finals, Liverpool have hit the post 30 times this season the most in the league and 9 more times than the next closest team and they have missed the joint most penalties. If you watch the games you will see Liverpool under Dalglish are 10x the team they were under Hodgson, add a goalscorer to help Suarez out and Liverpool will be pushing for the european places again.

No doubt Hodgson has done well at Fulham and West Brom but his teams are largely boring to watch, he is just England's better version of Alex Mcleish.

Not that I am a massive Hodgson fan. However I am not a massive Kenny fan.
Looking at the win % there Kenny has 6% better win %. What was the transfer spend difference for Hodgson and Kenny?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Good points on the budget, Dalglish has wasted a huge amount of money on transfers but also took a lot in with 50 million on Torres alone. I don't like Dalglish in his attitude or the way he comes across in the media but I would rather watch a Dalglish team over a Hodgson side.

This isn't about who is better out of Dalglish and Hodgson anyway, my issue is I think Hodgson is a negative manager and not suited to a job like England where the pressure will be on him to succeed. I don't buy into this, it has to be an English man anyway. As long as they could be speak fluent English (which Capello couldn't) they would be fine.

Astute

So we take on a manager that has failed at his only big club he has managed. Was looking forward to a bit of football during the closed season. Will be a bit now....

Big Mo

I take it you don't see inter as a big club then? Didn't do brilliantly there but sounds like difficult circumstances. Take a look back through his long and varied career, anyone whocan be arsed to look past his time at Liverpool or indeed in England would see he has achieved a great deal more than fan favourite redknapp

Liking Roy as boss, think it would be a great appointment. He's managed all over the world, knows the English game inside out, has far more top level experience than HR, and above all he's highly regarded by players. He wouldn't take any crap of the Lampard, Terry, Cole crew! " oh boss, my mattress is to hard and the taps in my bathroom aren't made from gold can we stay in a posh hotel like we do with Chelsea!" knob ends!

I've just been looking at his career and it seems he is crap when given money but excellent with international sides and sides without alot of financial backing. This could actually be a fantastic appointment.

SkyBlueScottie

Question is, what are the FA looking for, are they looking for a manager who can come in and galvanise a squad of players for a few weeks or are they looking for somebody who will integrate into the current set up which has had a lot of thought and work already put into it?

What will Harry bring to the role plus the future of English football? I see Hodgson on that score offering a lot more value.

Mr pot

And won fk all!

Wouldn't be my choice. The players are coached regularly and should know how to perform, what they need is character giving them confidence togetherness and making them enjoy it. Too much emphasis on tactical nouse at this level imo and the peoples choice is always the way forward. El Tel, Keegan and this should have been Arry. If Sven and Capello can't achieve with the so called golden generation, then it shows they don't have a massive tactical influence at international level. I think as always there will be the usual suspects at the business end of a major competition (with the odd exception ala Greece) and you need that bit of luck to get you over the line. Some instilled character might just make the difference and imo Hodgson has the charisma of a lettuce.

had lettuce in a side salad earlier and was more than impressed

CCFCSteve

Terrible decision for me, Hodgsons defensive style of play is suited for smaller clubs/nations.

haha, the way we've performed at major tournaments (under Capello) and qualifying (under McClaren) we are a small nation !

Like with all these things people have to go into it with an open mind. Rednapp couldve been the man manager/motivator to spur us to glory or he couldve been another Keegan. Hodgson could be the manager who struggled with the media and big players at Liverpool (in what was possibly their most difficult time in recent history) or he could be the tactical genius and experienced international manager that nearly won the Europa with Fulham.

Nobody can guarantee success, if they could, surely Capello would have. If Roy gets it good luck to him, unfortuantely Rednapps got a lot of the media in his pocket so he'll get no slack from them. I was speaking to two Baggies fans at lunch and they are gutted. They said his record over the 12 months hes been in charge wouldve seen them get a Europa place. That coupled with how he did at Fulham should impress anyone.

A brave...and cheap option for the FA.

rob9872

had lettuce in a side salad earlier and was more than impressed

But you're the kind of person who goes around being racist to kettles

J

Jack Griffin

Anyone feel embarrassed by their comments in this old thread.. :pointlaugh:

Otis

Anyone feel embarrassed by their comments in this old thread.. :pointlaugh:

Nope.

At the time I thought he was a good choice. To be quite honest I havent been that unhappy with him until this tournament. The Pirlo thing really annoyed me and I wasn't happy with some of the players he took either.

Right choice then, now time for him to step down I feel.

SkyblueBazza

Didn't comment originally but I still think he will benefit us long term.
Not for the first time England managers have been expected by some to wave a magic wand & make everything suddenly alright...& we go on to the next tournament & beat the world.
5yrs or so ago - copying the Spanish game seemed to be a focus. We seem incapable of such slick passing even now...but they've been found out too now.
The simple fact is that with the structure of our game the way it is, money rules! Clubs don't care about the national side...they're a business & demand instant success. So they buy fabulous foreign to enrich the game here...removing development chances of our own talent apart from a chosen few who can at least compete with said imports. Even the lambasted PL plans of a B league...not sold as this but ultimately would have been even more income taken from the lower league clubs because any hint of potential would be bought & played in the B league, robbing the lower leagues of any promising entertaining football. They'd become a backwater for the has-beens.
At a national level...the FA are only really interested in paying for Wembley rebuild currently.
The whole thing needs a rethink by ALL concerned. What would be better than England as world champions...the PL full of talented exciting English players? It is a long way back - but it starts with kids being "coached" too soon IMO instead of letting any natural talent come through then going on to tactics & positioning when they're about 14.

PUSB

stupot07

No I'm not embarrassed. Wasn't happy with some of his selections, but think we need to continue building for the future. Could have 'Arry.....he's gone one to bigger and better things hasn't he...............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Arry reminds me somewhat of Bobby Gould.

Think he'd be great in the dressing room and in interviews, but tactically would fall well short of what would be required.

stupot07

Arry reminds me somewhat of Bobby Gould.

Think he'd be great in the dressing room and in interviews, but tactically would fall well short of what would be required.

Since he missed out on the job, he managed to get relegated with QPR despite them having a huge wage bill even by PL standards, and then struggled to get promoted despite having the biggest budget in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Le Tissier: Hodgson could have been braver

Former England and Southampton midfielder Matt Le Tissier on Roy Hodgson's future as England manager: "The FA will stick by him because he's the right kind of character to be England manager.

"He'll be looking at himself asking 'should I have played Ross Barkley and Adam Lallana from the start?'. Until we start picking talented footballers instead of athletes, we're not going to get very far.

"I like Roy Hodgson as a bloke but I think he could have been a bit braver with his selections."

Think he has a point. In the past we have had strong, physical teams, which have been historically the way the English game has been played, but things have now moved forwards. Nearly all teams are now athletic, but also have the technical ability to go hand and had with that.

If you look back at England teams in the past we have quite often overlooked the players with great technical ability, for those with more typical English traits.

Le Tissier is a case in point. 21 caps. Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Alan Hudson etc. There's been a number of them littered over the years. Really gifted footballers who weren't really given a long run or real chance to shine, over those with more physical attributes.

The game has changed and in international football there is more room now for the gifted 'luxury' players. Players who can change games in an instance.

I know Barclay is raw, but I would have just let him loose and let him do his stuff.

Before the tournament began none of us were expecting anything great from England, so there was a real opportunity to give the likes of Barclay and Lallana a free reign.

Puzzles me as to why we had both Henderson and Gerrard in the midfield and we didn't given Lallana the opportunity to shine.

This again points to the cautiousness we have all been talking about. Hodgson did show a bit less restraint for sure this tournament, but I think he could have gone the whole hog.

Otis

And good old Arry has his say!!

[h=4]England in 2022 - Redknapp[/h]

QPR boss Harry Redknapp is sceptical about England's chances of winning the 2022 World Cup: "Are we going to win the World Cup in Doha? Good luck. Not a prayer. Get in the real world. "

stupot07

To be honest Otis, with the two fullbacks being liabilities and the number of forwards he's played, you have to play two midfielders in that deeper role. One of the problems is the rest of the midfield is made up of strikers/forwards, and players out of position

Lallana plays for Southampton on that left side so play him there, not Wellbeck and not Rooney (round peg, square holes. Play Barkley on the number 10 role, that's exactly were he plays for Everton in a 5 man midfield/1 striker formation. He could then play sterling or ox right side. Then you have the choice of Rooney or sturridge. At least that way you have in the main, players playing in their proper positions, who instinctively know their jobs because it's what they do week in week out. You have to get the balance right between attacking, defensive shape and ball retention. Our ball retention and defensive shape have been v poor and actually our attacking hasn't particularly been great either.

It's difficult to point at a particular team and say "look at them" because to an extent all the teams (exception Costa Rica, Colombia) have been a little hit and miss.

Last edited:

Otis

Agree with a lot of that Stu.

Worry is that after the world cup it will be straight back on the horse for the Euro qualifying. With expectation so low this time out it would have been an opportunity to experiment.

We can't afford to experiment for the 2016 qualifiers.

Otis

At least with the fullbacks we should have Kyle Walker back from injury and maybe Flanagan will get a look in.

Was hoping Carl Jenkinson might have been in contention for an England place, but he only played 14 games for Arsenal all season long. A lot of young England players just aren't getting the opportunity are they.

Always quite liked Kieran Gibbs too at left back. Think Luke Shaw is ahead of him in the pecking order for certain.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I won't hold my breath for any further England success in my lifetime. I say "further" because I well remember watching the 1966 Final. Much the same as Cov really. At least I've seen a World Cup win and an FA Cup win. Feel sorry for all the younger fans.

Otis

With Glenn Johnson not showing any degree of form for England for a number of games now, could it be argued that Hodgson should have taken Jon Flanagan to Brazil?

He was called up to the larger squad initially wasn't he, along with Stones. Wonder why Hodgson went against that otpion in the end. As has been clearly identified, besides Johnson there has been pretty much no cover at all for that position and Hodgson even tried Milner there, to disastrous effect.

Heard very positive things about Flanagan, though haven't seen much of him myself. Anyone concur that he could be a star of the future for England in the back four?

wingy

With Glenn Johnson not showing any degree of form for England for a number of games now, could it be argued that Hodgson should have taken Jon Flanagan to Brazil?

He was called up to the larger squad initially wasn't he, along with Stones. Wonder why Hodgson went against that otpion in the end. As has been clearly identified, besides Johnson there has been pretty much no cover at all for that position and Hodgson even tried Milner there, to disastrous effect.

Heard very positive things about Flanagan, though haven't seen much of him myself. Anyone concur that he could be a star of the future for England in the back four?

Who is the young Rightback at Everton ?

I bet he's Irish ,surely there must be a loophole that his Grannies stepfather was English.Seamus Coleman .

Otis

I bet he's Irish ,surely there must be a loophole that his Grannies stepfather was English.Seamus Coleman .

He must have learned English at school. Surely that qualifies him!

stupot07

Yeah, he's already an Ireland international...

Users who are viewing this thread