Do you want to discuss boring politics? (21 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

I still don’t like him but he is infinitely more competent than Truss or any of those clowns.
Just hope the nutters like my parents will see it too.

The colleague in question is near retirement. Nothing to lose for them except their pension pot

PVA

I still don’t like him but he is infinitely more competent than Truss or any of those clowns.
Just hope the nutters like my parents will see it too.

I'm not holding out too much hope. My mum came round one day during one of the leadership debates and said she thought Truss would make a really good PM. Presumably because the Daily Mail told her so.

I think her and my dad will just vote for whoever the Mail tells them to, which presumably will not be Starmer.

Macca

Fair play. Have you previously voted Tory or another party?

I'd be interested to hear what the other Tories on here make of the current situation, they've gone very quiet...

Blair turned me Tory for one election. Since then I’ve been politically homeless as politics has become more polarised. As for the nobody could do better bollocks that is pure desperation

JAM See

A colleague told me today an election would be pointless because both parties are just as bad. Sorry, they’re just not. Starmer just as bad a leader as the Criminal Clown and Truss?
This "They are all as bad as each other" narrative is really unsettling. I've no idea where it comes from but am convinced that it is supported by people who wish to maintain the status quo.

No football fan ever said "They are all as bad as each other" when it comes to changing or not changing the leadership of a failing institution.

THEY are not all as bad as each other.

There are better options out there.
Whether you are a underperforming football team or an underperforming government.

Macca

This "They are all as bad as each other" narrative is really unsettling. I've no idea where it comes from but am convinced that it is supported by people who wish to maintain the status quo.

No football fan ever said "They are all as bad as each other" when it comes to changing or not changing the leadership of a failing institution.

Whether you are a underperforming football team or an underperforming government.

The stories staying in power would be akin to keeping Andy Thorn at the helm

shmmeee

It’s pernicious and corrosive to democracy and IMO started with the expenses scandal and has been fuelled by the genuinely terrible politicians it lets off the hook.

Ian1779

I think there is a legitimate argument that the general public see most MP’s as detached from the realities of life for most of the working public

MP expenses is a classic example of this (I see shmmeee just beat me to it)

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s showing just how powerful the lie that Labour crashed the economy was, back in 2010. George Osborne himself said he couldn’t believe it worked as well as it did

CCFCSteve

It’s pernicious and corrosive to democracy and IMO started with the expenses scandal and has been fuelled by the genuinely terrible politicians it lets off the hook.

let’s be honest though, the quality of MPs across the house is by and large pretty poor. unfortunately for the country some of the poorest are currently sat on the governments front bench….working under a very weak leader, who appears well out her depth.

I just want to see the front benches filled with the best people from their respective parties as ultimately they’ll be the ones running the country, if elected. Tories under Johnson and then Truss, and to similar extent Labour under Corbyn filled their top teams with ‘yes’ men and women rather than the most capable people but those who might challenge them. There’s not enough good MPs to have them wasted on back benches

To be fair to Starmer he’s put some half decent people in his top team, or at least good communicators who can get their message across, which is half the battle. Pre truss it was looking like a hung Parliament with Labour largest party, now almost certainly a solid Labour majority.

CCFCSteve

One thing people have missed a bit during the current shitshow is the level to which ‘the markets’ will ultimately dictate government policy.

NorthernWisdom

let’s be honest though, the quality of MPs across the house is by and large pretty poor. unfortunately for the country some of the poorest are currently sat on the governments front bench….working under a very weak leader, who appears well out her depth.

I just want to see the front benches filled with the best people from their respective parties as ultimately they’ll be the ones running the country, if elected. Tories under Johnson and then Truss, and to similar extent Labour under Corbyn filled their top teams with ‘yes’ men and women rather than the most capable people but those who might challenge them. There’s not enough good MPs to have them wasted on back benches

To be fair to Starmer he’s put some half decent people in his top team, or at least good communicators who can get their message across, which is half the battle. Pre truss it was looking like a hung Parliament with Labour largest party, now almost certainly a solid Labour majority.
I honestly think a lot depends on how much the Lib Dems are forgiven. They're nearest chllengers (and most natural challengers) to Tories in a number of seats, and it really needs them taken away too.

CCFCSteve

To a degree, but coming up with economic policies that just about everybody (including most of her MPs!) thought were bonkers dictated the markets as much as anything!

Agreed, it was ridiculous. They were warned but ideology and arrogance meant they ploughed on.

I don’t mean a majority of standard day to day policy, just if you aren’t seen to be able to run a tightish ship (that the markets agree with) there will be a reaction and a potential chain of events that causes major problems.

skybluetony176

Suddenly remembering why Hunt rhymes with c**t isn’t an accident where this bloke is concerned

Red wall Tories must be shitting it right now. A return to austerity is well and truly here and we know what that means, especially for the poorest communities.

PVA

So Liz Truss was voted for by 0.17% of the electorate on the premise of low taxes.

And now we're going to get the opposite of what she campaigned on.

Seems fair.

Hertsccfc

Suddenly remembering why Hunt rhymes with c**t isn’t an accident where this bloke is concerned

Red wall Tories must be shitting it right now. A return to austerity is well and truly here and we know what that means, especially for the poorest communities.

He is terrible and the idea that he is part of the solution is incredible. He ought to know that there is a need for more investment particularly in health and the idea of further cuts is really scary. The Ambulance service is already in state of virtual collapse.

Users who are viewing this thread