Do you want to discuss boring politics? (25 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

If I was a Tory I think I might consider cutting my loses, ditch Truss call a GE & let Labour inherit all this financial shit,Brexit,war in Ukraine & numerous strikes.
Then dust off the Labour isn’t working posters & wait it out.
It's a plan.

As an aside, what's Bodicote and surrounding area like to live in? It all seems quite... posh and expensive, but is there anywhere to avoid?!?

JAM See

Mail with its finger on the pulse of what matters to the ordinary man.

View attachment 26549
Interesting splash across the top.

I admit I pop over to mailonline occasionally to see what the enemy is thinking.

Are they planning to go behind a paywall, or are the paper (digital or not) and the website separate entities?

NorthernWisdom

Rumours there’s talks about a U turn on tax cuts in mini budget ! Truss and KK have shit themselves
Whatever they do now looks like the sword of damocles hangs by a weaker thread. Stick, and the financial carnage continues, and nobody trusts them. Row back, and nobody trusts them as they admit they were catastrophically inept with our finances.

BodicoteSkyBlue

It's a plan.

As an aside, what's Bodicote and surrounding area like to live in? It all seems quite... posh and expensive, but is there anywhere to avoid?!?
You planning on moving? I’ve lived in Banbury area all my life (56yrs) it’s gone from a busy market town with large employers AP, Alcan, General Foods. It’s now mostly warehousing Amazon ect alongside the M40.
The town centre is mostly charity shops, coffee shops & Turkish barbers.
There’s large housing developments on just about every exit route out of Banbury, 1000’s of new homes being built, yet the hospital is slowly being run down.
All the surrounding villages are nice & you’re right they do have their posh & expensive parts.

NorthernWisdom

You planning on moving? I’ve lived in Banbury area all my life (56yrs) it’s gone from a busy market town with large employers AP, Alcan, General Foods. It’s now mostly warehousing Amazon ect alongside the M40.
The town centre is mostly charity shops, coffee shops & Turkish barbers.
There’s large housing developments on just about every exit route out of Banbury, 1000’s of new homes being built, yet the hospital is slowly being run down.
All the surrounding villages are nice & you’re right they do have their posh & expensive parts.
Yep, wife has a job in Oxford, and living on the outskirts of Coventry is too far to travel. Original plan was get married, move house etc, but Covid slowed it down so we seemed to find ourselves justs staying here but, now she has to go in four days a week, time to sort it out really. Ideal was probably around Fenny Compton area, so north of Banbury, more accessible to parents and my job etc but close enough for Banbury station to Oxford. As far as I can tell from a quick scout, that side isn't too bad, but Northend looks a bit ropey...

Main problem is she wants a house in the country, with a garden, with parking, not on an estate... for an affordable price.

Went through some of the villages last weekend to scout. Adderbury and Deddington looked nice... the house prices less so!

shmmeee

Whatever they do now looks like the sword of damocles hangs by a weaker thread. Stick, and the financial carnage continues, and nobody trusts them. Row back, and nobody trusts them as they admit they were catastrophically inept with our finances.

Shes absolutely snookered herself. All of Boris’ pretend everything’s OK and bluster through but none of the charm or humour. The half the party who supports her only wants her there to do the mental shit and the other half, the public, and the markets will eat her alive if she does.

Even if they put Rishi or Mordaunt in without consulting the members they’d only get the market back onside at best and for a lot of stuff the damage is done in terms of public perception.

I’ve been a Labour supporter for too long to not think we might fuck it from here, but I can’t see any way out of this that doesn’t end with two years of absolute chaos in government.

NorthernWisdom

I’ve been a Labour supporter for too long to not think we might fuck it from here, but I can’t see any way out of this that doesn’t end with two years of absolute chaos in government.
Being anti-Tory ;) I'm also probably not best placed to consider really but... I can't see how this ends well for them at the next election. Only thing that might save them is Lib Dems still not trusted after their Nick Clegg capitulation, and a perception that Labour are run by metropolitan out of touch elites... and I guess some local MPs would hang on in there because they've been decent MPs, regardless of party, and some places would elect Putin if he had a blue rosette.

But... I can't see how presenting yet another leader as a fresh start looks trustworthy. If you were Sunak, would you even want the job now, or wait until after the crushing election defeat to come back?

Sick Boy

If I was a Tory I think I might consider cutting my loses, ditch Truss call a GE & let Labour inherit all this financial shit,Brexit,war in Ukraine & numerous strikes.
Then dust off the Labour isn’t working posters & wait it out.
From their point of view they need to go into opposition to decide what they represent and the direction they're going to go in - I could see someone like Gove taking over as leader.

skybluetony176

From their point of view they need to go into opposition to decide what they represent and the direction they're going to go in - I could see someone like Gove taking over as leader.
A white wash loss is a win win for the Tories. It either gives them the opportunity to morph into this Britannia Unchained cult the current cabinet is and enter political oblivion, or it gives them the opportunity for a clean sweep and reinvent themselves as the Tory party they used to be with the fruit loops on the back benches and the more sensible Tories front of shop instead of front to back.

Sick Boy

A white wash loss is a win win for the Tories. It either gives them the opportunity to morph into this Britannia Unchained cult the current cabinet is and enter political oblivion, or it gives them the opportunity for a clean sweep and reinvent themselves as the Tory party they used to be with the fruit loops on the back benches and the more sensible Tories front of shop instead of front to back.
The problem they have is that they focused too much on and got consumed in chasing those who'd vote for someone like Farage. I'm sure I read that their membership demographics had changed somewhat since Brexit and the cult of Al.

chiefdave

Call an election now, Labour win and have to deal with the fallout. Then in 4 years time get back in running on 'look what a mess Labour made of everything'.

Brighton Sky Blue

Shes absolutely snookered herself. All of Boris’ pretend everything’s OK and bluster through but none of the charm or humour. The half the party who supports her only wants her there to do the mental shit and the other half, the public, and the markets will eat her alive if she does.

Even if they put Rishi or Mordaunt in without consulting the members they’d only get the market back onside at best and for a lot of stuff the damage is done in terms of public perception.

Time for votes of no confidence as often as possible. Force the Tory MPs to keep defending the indefensible

Sick Boy

Interesting splash across the top.

I admit I pop over to mailonline occasionally to see what the enemy is thinking.

Are they planning to go behind a paywall, or are the paper (digital or not) and the website separate entities?
I'm pretty sure the paper and the website are separate.

JAM See

You and me both mate.

We can't do a Milan 2005 from here can we?

PVA

I reckon Labour will get in but it'll be a hung parliament.

If the election were held tomorrow then it'd be a bloodbath and a huge Labour majority.

In 2 years time who knows for certain, but I still think it'll be a comfortable Labour majority.

Tories are too far gone now.

David O'Day

If the election were held tomorrow then it'd be a bloodbath and a huge Labour majority.

In 2 years time who knows for certain, but I still think it'll be a comfortable Labour majority.

Tories are too far gone now.
It does have that feel of the mid 90s when there was suddenly nothing Major could do to win the next election.

clint van damme

Been listening to a few political podcasts in the last week and it sounds as though the tory party conference was a disaster.
A lot of MPs didn't even attend which is apparently unprecedented.

JAM See

A huge Labour majority is going to be much harder given they haven’t got the luxury of a 50 seat boost in Scotland.

If they get a majority it won’t be massive.
As long as they don't do a Jean van de Velde, it'll do me.

(I know, I'm pushing the sporting metaphors a bit too much now).

JAM See

Been listening to a few political podcasts in the last week and it sounds as though the tory party conference was a disaster.
A lot of MPs didn't even attend which is apparently unprecedented.
They will retcon it and blame the unions for the train strike on the last day (Wednesday).

Trust me, they will.

Users who are viewing this thread