Match Thread Coventry v Fleetwood Match Thread - Saturday 21st Jan (1 Viewer)

Bristol sky blue

I work with a lad who was at Bristol City as a 2nd year scholar last year - he mentioned about Wes Burns being the player who stood out the most in their Academy set up and that he was unlucky not to displace others from the first team.
Really hope he's wrong on this one!

Can see us playing well on Saturday, failing to convert good chances, then losing 0-1. We lack that cutting edge up front and time is ticking away for us to do something about it.

trevelfarandwide

When I somewhat tongue-in-cheek suggested Rose as a target man, no one shot me down. Mind you I suppose no one took me seriously either

Hasn't Rose scored 5 in 16 games, or something? He knows how to finish at close range/in the box, so why not? It's a calculated gamble; ping some crosses in, see how Rose can use his muscle and presence. At this stage, and given the predicament/shit pit we're in, coupled with the fact we still haven't acquired another striker, it should at least be on RS's mind to utilise Rose up front. Personally, I think he'd nail it and bang a few in.

Sky Blue Harry H

Hasn't Rose scored 5 in 16 games, or something? He knows how to finish at close range/in the box, so why not? It's a calculated gamble; ping some crosses in, see how Rose can use his muscle and presence. At this stage, and given the predicament/shit pit we're in, coupled with the fact we still haven't acquired another striker, it should at least be on RS's mind to utilise Rose up front. Personally, I think he'd nail it and bang a few in.

If I was a manager, I'd try it - particularly if we try and launch it (like we did unsuccessfully at Chesterfield) = then Beavon and Thomas etc can feed off the knockdowns. Rose seems to have a knack of getting on the end of things if you let him get forward.

Otis

Errmmm, okay.

Well if we are not going to play him up front then maybe why not in goal!

He's tall.

steve82

If I was a manager, I'd try it - particularly if we try and launch it (like we did unsuccessfully at Chesterfield) = then Beavon and Thomas etc can feed off the knockdowns. Rose seems to have a knack of getting on the end of things if you let him get forward.

I'm all for us trying him as a target man as this team desperately needs one as it will flourish if we did and certainly help our goal return... however I don't see Rose as a option.
He's great to ping them in around the box but I've seen nothing in him in regards to being able to play the target man role... countless times at Chesterfield he didn't win his headers, and not been a great Ariel threat so far.

Nick

Administrator
I'm all for us trying him as a target man as this team desperately needs one as it will flourish if we did and certainly help our goal return... however I don't see Rose as a option.
He's great to ping them in around the box but I've seen nothing in him in regards to being able to play the target man role... countless times at Chesterfield he didn't win his headers, and not been a great Ariel threat so far.

Threatening mermaids, horrible wanker.

trevelfarandwide

Errmmm, okay.

Well if we are not going to play him up front then maybe why not in goal!

He's tall.

That's not the point though, the point is he's got a knack of popping up and scoring goals, he's strong and could provide flick-ons for midfield runners coming forward. If players show attributes in different positions, why not use them? Rigidly keeping players in their preferred positions is all well and good, but if the team needs a strong, goal-scoring forward who just happens to be a standard midfielder, then why not give him a go?

There's no sign of a striker coming in, so for me, Rose would be a glaring choice up front.

It's like making a round peg fit into a hexagonal hole - just takes a bit of pushing, cos the shape is almost right. :)

Last edited:

trevelfarandwide

Yep that's fair enough, mate, but who else do we have? That's a rhetorical question, not sarcasm, I promise you.

Only other option is to bring a U23's or youth forward up to support Beavon, cos by my reckoning, (although he's a great prospect and bang on decent player) George Thomas hasn't got that eye for goal that we all thought he did. Slade doesn't seem to be bringing a forward in, so we're left to ponder what attacking options we already have within the squad.

Hod dog

GK-Burge
RB Willis (Foley didnt look great last week, and he can drop in to make third CB if Haynes is caught up field)
CB- Clarke (been impressed with him and think he is a good addition)
CB- Rawson (signed him for reason so lets see what hes got)
LB- Haynes ( great attacking threat, poor defensively, but do not think Stokes is fit enough yet)
RM - Thomas (been impressed since hes been given his chance and would like to see him carry on)
LM - Reid (if given the ball into feet he has the ability to beat players and create something, not proved end product yet though)
CM - Stevenson ( Brentford supposedly cooled interest so get him back in there)
CM- Rose (can be a threat when he pushes forward and gives us another taller option)
ST - Beavon
ST- Jones (has proven his end product isn't the best and he is one footed, but we need a pacey forward as Tudgay inst offering anything, and i think Jones given a chance can cause some issues in behind)

Subs:
RCC
Di K Evans
Bigi
Tudgay
Lameiras
Reilly
Turnbull

shmmeee

Yep that's fair enough, mate, but who else do we have? That's a rhetorical question, not sarcasm, I promise you.

Only other option is to bring a U23's or youth forward up to support Beavon, cos by my reckoning, (although he's a great prospect and bang on decent player) George Thomas hasn't got that eye for goal that we all thought he did. Slade doesn't seem to be bringing a forward in, so we're left to ponder what attacking options we already have within the squad.

We've got the Derby guy coming in on loan later apparently.

skyblueelephant76

GK-Burge
RB Willis (Foley didnt look great last week, and he can drop in to make third CB if Haynes is caught up field)
CB- Clarke (been impressed with him and think he is a good addition)
CB- Rawson (signed him for reason so lets see what hes got)
LB- Haynes ( great attacking threat, poor defensively, but do not think Stokes is fit enough yet)
RM - Thomas (been impressed since hes been given his chance and would like to see him carry on)
LM - Reid (if given the ball into feet he has the ability to beat players and create something, not proved end product yet though)
CM - Stevenson ( Brentford supposedly cooled interest so get him back in there)
CM- Rose (can be a threat when he pushes forward and gives us another taller option)
ST - Beavon
ST- Jones (has proven his end product isn't the best and he is one footed, but we need a pacey forward as Tudgay inst offering anything, and i think Jones given a chance can cause some issues in behind)

Subs:
RCC
Di K Evans
Bigi
Tudgay
Lameiras
Reilly
Turnbull
Foley and Bigi are out injured and looks like Jones is probably out too. I would think it would be that team with Tudgay starting in place of Jones and probably Reilly in for Stevenson.

better days

Jones seems to be using both feet a lot more and working harder.
All part of a young player's development learning men's football
Shame he picked up the injury in training last week

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Jones seems to be using both feet a lot more and working harder.
All part of a young player's development learning men's football
Shame he picked up the injury in training last week

Maybe that's right, but maybe now is not the time to blood younger players who aren't developed enough. We need points on the board starting yesterday I think.

Personally, I don't rate Jones anyway. He doesn't contribute enough to anything (as you've kind of said), despite his silky skills.

I'd go with:

GK-Burge
RB Willis
CB- Clarke
CB- Rawson
LB- Haynes (Stokes not fit)
CM - Stevenson
CM- Rose
CAM - Lameiras (vision to feed the other players attacking)
LAM - Reid
RAM - Thomas
ST- Beavon

Terry Gibson's perm

He will pick Reilly in front of Stevenson and I think unfortunately he will pick the dead leg up front

Frostie

Who's in your team?

Almost the same as yours to be fair, it was just the criticism of Jones but then including Lameiras who always disappoints I found strange.

I'd have Rose at RM, Reilly in CM with Stevenson & Thomas up top with Beavon.

Last edited:

Otis

Almost the same as yours to be fair, it was just the criticism of Jones but then including Lameiras who always disappoints I found strange.

I'd have Rose at RM, Reilly in CM with Stevenson & Thomas up top with Beavon.
Yep, I don't get that either. Lameiras has to be the most inconsistent player in the entire squad.

Personally I wouldn't pick him again and I have the feeling he is not a Slade type of player anyway.

Much prefer Jones for all his inadequacies.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Make sure you've got movement up front and Lameiras will exploit it if there is no movement he ends up getting caught in possession play him no substitute for skill and we are a bit short of players making telling passes.

steve82

I'd go with this to try and maximise our width and with pace too.
----------------Burge ----------------
---Willis---Clarke--Rawson---Haynes--
--DKE----Rose ----Stevenson----Reid---
---------Thomas----Beavon-------------
RCC, Turnbull, Harries, Lameries, Reilly, Gadzhev ,Tudgay

Otis

Has DKE played wide right if midfield before? I know he's played wingback.

I do still worry about him at right back because of his size, but maybe midfield might be worth a shout.

Terry Gibson's perm

Just seen some of their players in walsgrave Tesco. Hopefully they were all catching food poisoning

When are the angry noisy mobs going to the Campanile to keep them awake all night :emoji_thinking:

steve82

I do still worry about him at right back because of his size, but maybe midfield might be worth a shout.

I've no idea to be honest, but my line of thinking was pace and width down each flank, tight ball control and ability to run at players.... pin there full backs back. Amari bell should he play is a fast tricky player so needs occupying. George Thomas is a worker but not a right winger with pace so I'd put his work rate up with Beavon and hope they can out fox there main defender in Nathan Pond.
This also keeps Mr Tudgay to a role on the bench.

lifeskyblue

I agree...he does get in some good blocks and tackles but I'm always worried about his height on crosses. He seems to be able to get up and down the pitch well and might produce some good runs from midfield into the box.

PUSB
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve82

----------------Burge ----------------
---Willis---Clarke--Rawson---Haynes--
--DKE----Rose ----Stevenson----Reid---
---------Thomas----Beavon-------------
With this it also gives some protection to the back 4.. if Haynes is on a attacking run and we get dispossessed The back three of Rawson, Clarke and Willis can move left to cover Haynes gap and DKE can drop in to cover at right back to stop us being over ran

lifeskyblue

Blimey...it's almost like we have a plan...something that's been sadly lacking this season

PUSB

steve82

Blimey...it's almost like we have a plan...something that's been sadly lacking this season

PUSB

Never said it would work... I cannot solve the goals issue but with some forward runs with intent, you never no your luck!

Users who are viewing this thread