Coventry United Ladies (1 Viewer)

ccfctommy

Apparently in dire financial difficulty according to Twitter. Some players saying on twitter they have lost their jobs.

chiefdave

Apparently in dire financial difficulty according to Twitter. Some players saying on twitter they have lost their jobs.
What's happened to the people who persuaded them to change to Cov Utd on the promise of financing the club?

Grendel

shepardo01

They were full time???
- guessing a very young side, not on a great deal of money but feeling like it was their "job"??

Quite possibly part of their remit may have been some firm of coaching/work in the community to justify part of their wage??

How closely related are they to the men's set up?
Since the new chairman came in things have appeared a little unsettled on that side too....

Skybluesince82

Unfortunately women’s football just isn’t financially sustainable. They have had to have a certain number of players and staff on contracts to meet the licence agreement granted by the FA to play in that league.
The FA put huge financial demands on these clubs, but the ticket and sponsorship revenue just isn’t there to make it viable.
sad for the players and staff, but as a club, Coventry United were founded on the potential demise of CCFC, so very hard to have sympathy with CUFC as an entity. If you look at the honours of Cov Utd ladies, they are claiming all the league and cup victories of the old Coventry City Ladies, which were all won before CULFC even existed. Go figure.

chiefdave

How closely related are they to the men's set up?
Since the new chairman came in things have appeared a little unsettled on that side too....
Sounds like there could be more to this then? Have the people that started it got bored now they're aren't racking up massive wins and back to back promotions?

Presume the mens side can continue as they won't be full time.

shepardo01

Sounds like there could be more to this then? Have the people that started it got bored now they're aren't racking up massive wins and back to back promotions?

Presume the mens side can continue as they won't be full time.
There may or may not be a link... was linking with the turbulence related to the mens side.
Could simply be too unsustainable with regards to what the FA wants/needs them to have in place to be a club at that level.
I do know that the senior men's side are on their 3rd set of management this season, with the last lot leaving after 2/3 games.

chiefdave

Isn't there another womens side affiliated with CCFC now? See people on twitter are suggesting the club takes them on but suspect that bridge has been burnt even if it wasn't something that would require financing.

Brighton Sky Blue

Isn't there another womens side affiliated with CCFC now? See people on twitter are suggesting the club takes them on but suspect that bridge has been burnt even if it wasn't something that would require financing.

There's one for girls but it's just a junior set-up. It would be nice to have the ladies back in the fold but I imagine the answer would be it costs money so sod off

Legia Sky Blue

The people running women's football effectively want to follow the men's example and are star struck by the mens PL, hence the immediate haste to have a Manchester United ladies team placed straight into the top league. The days of a Doncaster Belles type of team being successful are long gone. The reality is that womens teams don't draw crowds large enough to sustain themselves financially, without being supported by the men's equivalent.

In Coventry up to about 5 years ago we also had Copsewood who had managed to rise up through the ranks from being a 'fun' team playing in the Birmingham League to reaching the same level as Coventry City (as the ladies were then), but they were reliant on supporting themselves through players subs, and the more successful they were the more costs they incurred, particularly in having to travel to places like Middlesbrough, Plymouth etc. Not only that, but the FA requirements meant they had to leave Copsewood and move to Nuneaton, where they managed to survive for a couple of seasons before they inevitably had to fold. The FA seemed quite happy for them to fold too, as having the likes of Copsewood mixing it with bigger name teams isn't how the FA want the women's game to go. Now Coventry United are not linked to Coventry City they are also likely to get little FA support, although as effectively the flagship women's team in the city I would be surprised if they folded.

Grendel

Aren’t these the jokers Kalns and the JHW moron used to run?

shepardo01

The people running women's football effectively want to follow the men's example and are star struck by the mens PL, hence the immediate haste to have a Manchester United ladies team placed straight into the top league. The days of a Doncaster Belles type of team being successful are long gone. The reality is that womens teams don't draw crowds large enough to sustain themselves financially, without being supported by the men's equivalent.

In Coventry up to about 5 years ago we also had Copsewood who had managed to rise up through the ranks from being a 'fun' team playing in the Birmingham League to reaching the same level as Coventry City (as the ladies were then), but they were reliant on supporting themselves through players subs, and the more successful they were the more costs they incurred, particularly in having to travel to places like Middlesbrough, Plymouth etc. Not only that, but the FA requirements meant they had to leave Copsewood and move to Nuneaton, where they managed to survive for a couple of seasons before they inevitably had to fold. The FA seemed quite happy for them to fold too, as having the likes of Copsewood mixing it with bigger name teams isn't how the FA want the women's game to go. Now Coventry United are not linked to Coventry City they are also likely to get little FA support, although as effectively the flagship women's team in the city I would be surprised if they folded.
Manchester United got promoted to the top league last year out of the same level Cov United currently play at.

Brighton Sky Blue

Manchester United got promoted to the top league last year out of the same level Cov United currently play at.

They had to be prodded into even starting a team and were given a headstart. Just having a female version of the same overhyped men's league does nothing for me sorry.

The clubs who actually took women's football seriously all along were treated shamefully

pusbccfc

I'd love for CCFC to try and regain the control. Women's football is a lot different to what it was 5 years ago and CCFC are in a different position.

Skybluesince82

Women’s football is a black hole financially. I’d far rather CCFC focussed on the men’s side after so many years of financial uncertainty, than spending circa £250k a year on a semi-pro women’s team

CJ_covblaze

Feel for the players. They’ve been hung out to dry and deserve so much better. It’s been coming since the mens side was purchased and the club was split. Things are pretty rocky over there too. Comedic statements and ridiculous decisions have been a constant. They’re a laughing stock.

Terry Gibson's perm

It must be a drain in resources we need to stop well away, if it can self fund then let them if not is disappears.

Grendel

I’m amazed they are full time. Crowds average in that league 500 even the “super league” it’s around 3,000 - I’m sure unless they are affiliated to the mens club others will be under threat

tisza

The women's game is just a reflection of the men's game really, dominated by the clubs affiliated to the oligarchy men's clubs. Can't see how it is sustainable as a professional game really.
Considering the TV coverage it gets Inc. Freeview it still isn't really attracting crowds. Read recently the BBC games getting around 250k viewers and satellite games around 80k.

Nick

Administrator
I don't get why they rushed to go Pro when there isn't the money or appetite for them to do it?

It's like the men's team when they were trying to pay more than teams in leagues much higher.

stupot07

Its sad to hear that about the ladies team, especially as we don't have a ccfc ladies anymore. You've got to wonder why they turned pro if they had no chance of being able to fund it.

On a side note, shouldn't Cov United be challenging to get into the fight into the football league by now? I'm sure that was the prediction of those pushing the phoenix club.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread